• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Marina coil after bypass

Bear

I've had the mirena coil in for almost 10 years for medical reasons. (I've actually had 4 in in that time, but this last one has been in for 4.5 years, so will need renewing in a few months)

My concern when I first had it was increased appetite and weight gain, but there is actually no real medical evidence that this is the case. In fact, you're far less likely to gain weight as the hormone released stays in the womb whereas on the pill it's released etc.

I think people claim weight gain because in most cases it's fitted after people have had their families and at a time in life where weight gain is relatively normal. I was one of those people that gained weight looking at a pack of crisps (obviously not, but you get my drift) and I had no extra gain.

For me it's meant the elimination of major surgery due to a long term ladies issue, so I think even if I'd gained it would be worth it.