• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

mashed potatoe!!!

helen144

hhhmmmmm

I am 10 days post op today and I have been so hungry today sick to death of bloody soup and yogurts and Im running out of ideas as to what to eat whilst on the liqued stage.

So i have just had some mashed potatoe with cheese in OMG it was heaven it was like eating dairy milk!!!

BUT now i feel guilty and also I was surprised at how much of it I could eat before I was full

Im sure he aint made my stomach small enough !!!

Helen xxxxx

Be careful, mashed potato is a slider food, which means you maybe able to eat more than you should....;)

Call your providers, tell them you are hungry and they will advise the best way to beat this.

Think yourself lucky you can have soup and yoghurt at this stage!!! I am meant to be on liquids, ie thin watery soups, no yoghurt, fortimel, milk, water, bovril etc for 4 weeks in total. I am seriously considering starting to blitz a soup rather than strain all the bits out. If it wasn't just our hospital that stipulates a 4 week liquid diet, followed by 4 weeks sloppies, then I would think very carefully about moving onto blitzed soups and perhaps moving onto sloppies after 3 weeks, but I do wonder whether the hospital wants us to be on the 4 week/4 week thing because it would make their figures look much better in terms of success rates/amount of weight lost in first few months.....

Glad you enjoyed the mash!! Did you have low fat cheddar or normal? I love cheddar, but know I'll have to try some low-fat alternative!!!

I am having full fat cheddar and milk as I feel I need the extra calories it gives me when I am on a normal eating regime I will swap to low fat versions.

Mash potato is recommeded Helen as a first food because it does go down easy and as you start to blitz other foods have less mash until you don't need it. You will be able to eat more sloppy/mushy food but the more solid the food gets you won't eat as much. Listen to your body and when you get that feeling stop, else 1 more mouthful and it will hurt like mad.

Think yourself lucky you can have soup and yoghurt at this stage!!! I am meant to be on liquids, ie thin watery soups, no yoghurt, fortimel, milk, water, bovril etc for 4 weeks in total. I am seriously considering starting to blitz a soup rather than strain all the bits out. If it wasn't just our hospital that stipulates a 4 week liquid diet, followed by 4 weeks sloppies, then I would think very carefully about moving onto blitzed soups and perhaps moving onto sloppies after 3 weeks, but I do wonder whether the hospital wants us to be on the 4 week/4 week thing because it would make their figures look much better in terms of success rates/amount of weight lost in first few months.....

Glad you enjoyed the mash!! Did you have low fat cheddar or normal? I love cheddar, but know I'll have to try some low-fat alternative!!!
Hi Lorna - i am blitzing soup and then if any bits do get away just taking them out. I try and keep the consistency still thin enough but certainly not watery and i find it has been more satisfiying and comforting. Got only a week and a bit before sloppies and looking forward to cheese and potato pie from my mother in law, it will be nice to have a weetabix for breakfast too. Hate the fortimel and slimfast is quickly becoming a chore to get down but just keep myself patient as i want nothing to go wrong and i want to heal internally - don't agree with running before you can walk i just don't think it's worth it. Nice to see you are looking forward - sending hugs with fairy dust xx

Cheesy mash was one of the first things I had once I moved over to sloppy food and it went down just fine till yesterday when after two spoonfulls it hurt like hell. Wonder why that happens?

I'm with the others as far as not running until you can walk goes. There are reasons why we are told to stick to these diets as much as they can be miserable.

Bonita some days you will find you can eat more than others. One thing i found early on is that i have to water my pouch about 15 mins before i eat otherwise most things seem to stick.
Beans and chees are a good early pureed food as it is also high protien.
enjoy
carole

Bonita some days you will find you can eat more than others. One thing i found early on is that i have to water my pouch about 15 mins before i eat otherwise most things seem to stick.
Beans and chees are a good early pureed food as it is also high protien.
enjoy
carole

Mmm cheesy beans - now Im hungry :D

oh the MASH .... i love it i could live on mash lol i buy pre made mash from asda or where ever i am lol .. i love cheesy mash too.

i was eating mash and bean juice 3 weeks post op and was having a spoon or 2 but now able to manage much more .

don't worry about been able to have a more than u thought think of what u would normally have before op ..

my normal day now i have about 8 spoons of fruit and fibre with milk.

later on the day .. bag of snack a jacks

then i cook a meal for one on eve like cottage pie..saussage mash..roast dinner.. and i can only manage half or less.

and everyday i blend ice cubes with frozen fruit and oj i normally have 1-2 they are so nice ..

thats my day in food and some days i can not manage a thing ..

im 8 weeks post op and 5 stone off

Last edited:
I boiled a chicken and 2 ham hocks with onions carrots baylea and blk pepper, made a curry for them, and i've been drinking the stock. It's eva so tastey and nearly clear, and if I feel the need I put a coupla scoops of complan or sanatagen in it

It's taken me ages to get round to picking the meat off the bones and freezing it for ron and I'm totally wiped out!!!! LOL

I loved mash pre-op, especially cheesy mash yummmy! I did have mash when I was on purees and it was divine, felt so lush. However, it is not something I have much now due to the fact it has little nutritional value (basic simple carb that you add fat to) and is bulky which takes away from the amount of protein/veg/fruit I can fit in. At my stage solid protein makes me fuller longer and gives me more energy. :wave_cry:Still love the occasional mash tho, my carb addiction has to be appeased sometimes, lol!

Enjoy,
Nic

oh the MASH .... i love it i could live on mash lol i buy pre made mash from asda or where ever i am lol .. i love cheesy mash too.

i was eating mash and bean juice 3 weeks post op and was having a spoon or 2 but now able to manage much more .

don't worry about been able to have a more than u thought think of what u would normally have before op ..

my normal day now i have about 8 spoons of fruit and fibre with milk.

later on the day .. bag of snack a jacks

then i cook a meal for one on eve like cottage pie..saussage mash..roast dinner.. and i can only manage half or less.

and everyday i blend ice cubes with frozen fruit and oj i normally have 1-2 they are so nice ..

thats my day in food and some days i can not manage a thing ..

im 8 weeks post op and 5 stone off

Brett, your weight loss is amazing! Well done - you've really got this sorted. Marion xx

QUOTE]

Hi Lorna

The reason we do a liquid followed by sloppy is to let the joins inside heal up properly, in actual fact the longer you can maintain the fluid only stage the better you will heal up and actually it will make the transition from sloppies to solids a lot easier. Some people ignore these stages and dive straight into hard foods after a few days, and then wonder why they are not able to deal with it or they dump.
Also worth bearing in mind that the part of your intestine that recieves the undigested foods now from your new pouch isn't used to having this kind of food dumped into it, so it will take a while for it to learn how to adapt.

I loved mash pre-op, especially cheesy mash yummmy! I did have mash when I was on purees and it was divine, felt so lush. However, it is not something I have much now due to the fact it has little nutritional value (basic simple carb that you add fat to) and is bulky which takes away from the amount of protein/veg/fruit I can fit in. At my stage solid protein makes me fuller longer and gives me more energy. :wave_cry:Still love the occasional mash tho, my carb addiction has to be appeased sometimes, lol!

Enjoy,
Nic

I'm exactly the same, if i have any form of potatoe on my plate its left till after the protein and veg are consumed, and then only used to get me to full restriction, most of it gets left though !

Im only having mash cos just going on to pureed food !!!

Its delicious lol

enjoying a few carbs before i cant really have many carbs anymore xx

mash is a transition food and yes its carbs, but dont feel guilty about eating it in a stage of transition to help you get through this stage x

mash is a transition food and yes its carbs, but dont feel guilty about eating it in a stage of transition to help you get through this stage x

yep it wont be long before carbs become a thing of the distant past. I had a sandwich today made from a slice of low fat cheese halved, slice of ham, some onion chuckney and a piece of lettus. used the cheese as the bread and the rest was the filling and it was yummy.

Back