• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Massive hello to everyone from a nervous newbie :)

Beebs

Have finally registered after months of dipping into various threads in this forum so just wanted to say hi :)

I am at the very beginning of this journey - literally, as I have been thinking about gastric band surgery for a long time & only just decided I really am going to do it. This is going to sound really silly but one of my biggest hurdles was how to tell my mum. I might be a grown adult now but I was really worried! I didn't want to give her sleepless nights and finally took the plunge yesterday but she really surprised me with her reaction... she was worried (of course), but basically said that she knows I wouldn't have come to that decision lightly and would have done lots of research beforehand. And that was it. There was more drama in my head at that moment than in real life & for that I was grateful. I love my mum! :D

The other big step (small in the grand scheme of things, I know) was calling to book a consultation. I did it an hour ago while I was feeling brave, spoke to a very nice lady at the Hospital Group who answered some of my initial questions and booked me in for an initial consultation with Dr Al-Hussaini on 21st Dec (who would apparently be doing the surgery, should I turn out to be a suitable candidate). The final thing I've done now is register on here, after ages of meaning to do so!

So here I am. Hello everyone, am really excited, nervous, apprehensive, the whole lot - I feel I am on the edge of a life changing decision and glad to have the support of the amazing people on this forum :) I feel somewhat embarrassed about the fact I'm seriously thinking about this.... I know many people see bariatric surgery as the 'easy / lazy way out', and
can't bear the thought of telling other people about it. Want to talk to my sister about it but know she would be devastated at the thought & do everything in her power to talk me out of it - which I completely understand.

I am also worried about going ahead with surgery is the fact it's elective / cosmetic - I just don't want to regret taking the plunge (or God forbid have serious complications or anything) when my weight is something I have (unhappily) lived with to date, and in theory could do so indefinitely. However I know the risks are minimum and had the same concerns when having laser eye surgery a few years ago (i.e. 'I've lived with bad eyesight all my life so why mess with it?') - which I never regretted for one moment.
So there we go, I've blathered on enough. Am pretty sure this was just meant to be a quick hello!! :D:D

Last edited:
Welcome beebs. This is a great site and the banders section is my saver. Every time I have a worry or question i can find the answer if there is always someone to come and give me the answer. In regards to cosmetic surgery.... ask and people ll tell u, they r taking less medication r eating and feeling healthier. Personnaly I have reduce my asthma by 60% and my knees aren't hurting as much as it used to. Welcome good luck for the surgery and ask questions anytime xxx

HI BEEBS

Morning :D:D:D

I am a newbie too, and exactly the same as you I dreaded telling my mum... I did it this time 1 week ago :) & although initially she was hugely anti, I told her right at the outset, I had made my mind up after months of research & soul searching.... she has accepted it and so have my 2 teenage kids, we make little jokes of it to keep it light.

No one on here sees WLS as the easy option, which is why I find solace here as I dont have to justify my decision I just get support & reassurance from reading posts :)

WELCOME & good luck on your journey to the real you xx

Hi Beebs,

welcome and have a good look around and read our stories etc.

If you decide to go ahead Good Luck!

xxx

Welcome Beeb, there are loads on here who can help you with any questions on the band, heres to a new you in 2012 xxxx

Welcome beeb & good luck xx

welcome

Hi Beeb, and welcome to "the family". Tell all of your friends what you are doing as we did so as and when they see the weight dropping off they don't think you are ill. If you ever worry about anything at all, you won't need to, just get on here and all of your questions will be answered. And good luck for a happy and healthier new you in 2012

Hi Beeb. I'm new on here too, like you i've been popping on for a while and finally registered a couple of days ago. I've had some of the same concerns as you, my mom was not overly keen on the idea when I told her but she's now began to realise its the best option for me. My bf is very worried and wishes I wouldn't have it done but has promised to support me as he knows i've made up my mind.
I don't think you should think of the surgery as cosmetic only.....i'm 36 and have been overweight since i was a teen....it DOES catch up with you. I've always remained pretty healthy, good BP and cholesterol levels etc but was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 2 years ago- and its not good! My knees and hips have also started to hurt more as i've gotten older. So you could see the op as a preventative measure, to stop you from suffering ill-health in the years to come. The cosmetic benefits are an added bonus! Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome of your appt. xxxx

hi beeb wellcome to this forum
i am sure you will get all your questions answered on
this site, as there is always someone who has been through
or going through or about to go through
the same as you,
and dont think any of your questions to silly to ask
because they are not,
there is always someone who will come along and have
a answer for you.

good luck and best whishes for whatever you choose
i look forward to reading how you get on,
take care. xxx

hi Beebs
welcome there are lots of really lovely people here in various stages of the game:0 I'm sure you'll find the answer to all your questions here...everytime I come up with a new question I find someone here who has been there :)

Do lots of research into how you make the band work for you, and make sure you are the type of eater that a band will help before parting with your hard-earned cash.

Good luck on your journey, and don't wonder in silence - just ask!

Last edited:
All I can say its not an easy option, you can still make wrong food choices so work on getting your head in the right place to get you ready for success! Luckily if you have bad stuff you can only manage smaller amounts!

I went private in october and so far it's the best thing I've ever done!!!

Xx

thank you

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the kindness of people on this forum, thank you all so much for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it :):eek::)

I realised the wording of my intro was a bit misleading & made it sound as though I had a surgery date of Dec 21st, nope it's only my initial consultation (!) so I have corrected the post so it is a bit clearer :)

When I booked the consultation, the lady I spoke to advised me to keep a list of all my questions... but after reading through so many useful & informative threads, I almost feel as though I already know everything I need to know!! Thanks again x :D

Welcome Hun n good luck on ur journey ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the kindness of people on this forum, thank you all so much for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it :):eek::)

I realised the wording of my intro was a bit misleading & made it sound as though I had a surgery date of Dec 21st, nope it's only my initial consultation (!) so I have corrected the post so it is a bit clearer :)

When I booked the consultation, the lady I spoke to advised me to keep a list of all my questions... but after reading through so many useful & informative threads, I almost feel as though I already know everything I need to know!! Thanks again x :D

Hope it all goes well for u - let us know xx

Thanks so much everyone, am very much looking forward to meeting the consultant & getting answers to the million & one questions I've racked up over the week! Good luck to you too Pink Lady :)

Back