• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medication after op

kako1924

Hi all

Just wondering what happens with meds after op as i usually have to take mine with a few big gulps, does anyone know if you can get liquid form of thyroxine?

Some can be dissolved in water and some can't. Best to check with your gp.

Firstly, I suppose the question is what type of surgery is it you are looking to have (band/sleeve/bypass) as reading here and from my own experiences, it seems that some surgery has greater issues with taking medications than others (of course, it always changes at the individual level).

For me (sleeve), I crushed what meds I couldn't get in liquid form and ate them with v.runny yogurt and after a couple of weeks was back to taking them normally. I wouldn't have been able to "gulp" them down with a big glug of water (and still don't take big glugs of it).

For the specific question re thyroxine, I believe the liquid form of that was Evotrox, but I think it was withdrawn late last year/early this year - I'm sorry to say I don't know if there is an alternative brand these days, but either your gp or (fingers crossed) your provider should be able to help you out with that.

My thyroxine tablets are so small, they are the only ones that I have no problem getting down with a sip of water.

Everything else has to come out of the capsule and be mixed in yoghurt or dispersible versions now.

I had to take antibiotics out of their capsule when on holiday over Christmas, bleerrrghgghh, I don't know which was worse having flu or taking the medicine :confused:

Aww thanks think will check with my gp, im having bypass, i struggle taking tablets, but manage taking them with a big gulp even though they are small ones

Back