• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medication refusal by GP after Bypass

Fat Again

I went to see my GP today regarding the meds I need after my op (the hospital are only giving me 7 days worth to take home).

He informed that because I'm going private for my surgery I will hae to pay private for my meds.

Has anyone else been confronted with this.

My op is Sunday and I could really do without this worry.

I tried to explain how important the after meds were, especially the Claxine injections, and he said I would have to go back to him after the op once the drugs have run out, he would then consider and see what he could do !!!

Im feeling really anxious now, normally I'd turn to the biscuit tin but as from 5pm tonight , I'm fasting ready for Sunday.

Am sorry i cant help you, but i did not want to read and run. Am sure someone will be along soon who can offer u some advice. Good luck for ur op and i wish u a pain free and speedy recovery xxx

Hi hunny, firstly don't panic! I know all hospitals/GPs work differently but I went private and I was given a weeks worth of all the meds I need and 2 weeks worth of Clexane, when I left the hospital. I was also, at the time of discharge, then given a letter to forward onto my GP telling them what I will need for the rest of my life, ie calcium, iron etc.

I am pretty sure your doc can't refuse to prescribe you these meds after your surgery and if for any reason he does, change to a different gp. Your consultant will be able to give you more info on this when you see him.

Very best of luck for Sunday,
Cuppa xx

hi there I am gobsmacked, how can your GP justify talking to you like that? I can not get over him saying come back after the op and i'll see what i can do, my word he isn't God and he should not play the part either ooooh I am so angry that a GP can do that. You are entitled to medication on the NHS so what if you have paid for your surgery. Sorry got carried away there a little but it really annoyed me reading that as it is the last thing you need to worry about when facing surgery you need to concerntrate on looking after yourself and recovering properly not worrying about medication. Give your team a call at your hospital and see what they say.
Hope all works out for you hun and Good luck with your surgery. xxxx

Have you thought of contacting the General Medical Council and asking them if there is a General Practitioner Prescribing Policy re patients who will need lifetime medication after having surgery (albeit self funded). I am sure there must be something. Also PALS can be contacted they do not only contact hospitals with medical queries. You need to shake your small but powerful fist at your gp and if he/she is still being an arsehole then change surgeries.

Good luck with the op, looking forward to reading all about it and seeing a lot less of you in the future xxx

Cheers guys, I've spoken to the Bariactric Team Leader at my hospital and she's told me not to worry, they write a letter to my doctor listing all the meds I need and expaining in full detail how important they are.

Thanks for all your well wishes xx

Back