• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Meetings before Surgery Decision

Shopgirl1301

Hi Everyone, as quite new to the site, I've been reading alot of posts, mostly from people that are nearing their surgery date, which must be so exciting, however I have a query.

I spoke with my doctor earlier as I was enquirying about the sleep clinic, he isn't referring me just yet and wants me to fill out a questionnaire about sleep condition first as he's not sure I have many symptoms, whilst talking I asked about the hospital appointment at Luton & Dunstable and he said, it was an appointment at the clinic and I will have to visit it often over at least six months trying different diets, liquid diets etc before I'm considered for surgery, is this what happens to most people?? I just said it was great if they could help with weight loss, but maintaining it was a problem (I tend to graze all day and night, rather than a big portion eater) and I was keen on surgery after everything I've tried, he just said it would depend on funding etc whether I would even get that far, now I'm a little depressed about it all.
Any info or experiences would be great to hear.
Many thanks.
Wendyx

Welcome Wendy,
You have come to the right place for advice and information and |I am sure soemone from your area will be along soon to answer your queries. I am from a different area and can't help you much. I do know every PCT/hospital have a diferent criteria and approach. One thing is for sure the journey is usually long and stressful but from what others say well worth it!

|Good luck

Lin xx

Thanks Lin, I've put a post up asking if there are any meetings in Hertfordshire, I noticed a few very old (ie.2009) posts from people when I searched Luton, but not sure if they are still around as I can't see anyone's profile yet.
Wendyx

Thanks Lin, I've put a post up asking if there are any meetings in Hertfordshire, I noticed a few very old (ie.2009) posts from people when I searched Luton, but not sure if they are still around as I can't see anyone's profile yet.
Wendyx
hi Wendy..
I too am going to the L&D ....but I have my first appointment in two weeks time:cool:...
I will try and find a link that a few of the L&ds have wrote about time scales and what to expect..
You should do the word association games to get you posts up to 50 then you can email.

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/128864-what-next.html

Tray,Soon Slim Sue, Daftmoo and dreamofbeingslim have all been very helpful to me about info on the L&d(thanks ladies:cool:

Annie t And calliope are also under the L&D I haven't seen anyone else here on a regular basis ...

Sorry I am not aware of any meeting in our area generally..I was told they have meetings at the L7D(but cant be 100% about this as I haven't been)

hope this helps xx

Thanks so much Lisa, that's all a great help, please keep in touch with regards to your appointment and how you get on, many thanks again.
Wendyx

hi Wendy..
I too am going to the L&D ....but I have my first appointment in two weeks time:cool:...
I will try and find a link that a few of the L&ds have wrote about time scales and what to expect..
You should do the word association games to get you posts up to 50 then you can email.

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/128864-what-next.html

Tray,Soon Slim Sue, Daftmoo and dreamofbeingslim have all been very helpful to me about info on the L&d(thanks ladies:cool:

Annie t And calliope are also under the L&D I haven't seen anyone else here on a regular basis ...

Sorry I am not aware of any meeting in our area generally..I was told they have meetings at the L7D(but cant be 100% about this as I haven't been)

hope this helps xx
Just had a look through that link you put in Lisa, many thanks and the time scale looks quite good at Luton, you must be so excited, I'm a bit nervous about funding though, have you got yours all sorted and was it easy to do?
Wendyx

hi Wendy.
my pct is Northampton PCT..
They give funding automatically if you hit the criteria ...
I hit criteria and eventually got funding..
I say eventually but I had a G.P that hindered the whole process from the start..
Its a very very long story long story ...its took 4 years to get here...but I have funding in place...the application process should have took two weeks...
Do you know what PCT your under...is your G.P backing you(who is applying for you?)...what part of Hertfordshire are you...??
I wrote a long letter explaining my circumstances...I have seen a few ladies do this on here after they have been turned down...so it may be worth while sending one with the application...
what part of the process are you at???have you applied and now waiting??

x x x

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry to hear it's such a long time waiting for you, my story is full of ups and downs from the last twenty years, which I will save for another time, hopefully when I get my op date!

My GP has referred me to L&D from Hertford, East Hertfordshire, I don't think he has referred anyone before as he was not sure what to do, since the hospital received my letter two weeks ago they have had to write back to him to ask what he was referring me for, clinical or surgical, so another two week wait I think. With regards to funding he didn't really say, just that I would have to go on a few clinical diets before it got that far, not sure how that will work as I only last about 7 days on any diet I have done in the past! So still unusure regarding funding, he just referred me and I think it is a case of "wait and see" I will be turned down based on the info from 2007/08 on the pct website for East Herts, but I will appeal and try for a sleep test, also my father passed away at 42 from heart attack, I have the same liver spots in the same place and my brother was diagnosed diabetic last year so I'm worried if I don't loose weight one or the other will get me :(

Will keep you posted.
Thanks for your help.
Wendyx

Wendy...
Go and see you G.P and ask to look at the form he has to fill in...The PCT usually want details clinical diets...E.g diets that have been attempted under supervision eg clinic weigh in with dietitians,or weight watchers. ...or medical (pills) diets eg oristat,most of us have done all these before the referal/application of funding...
Basically I would ask to know what he(your G.P) has applied for and ask for a copy of the form that was sent to the P.C.T.

Also ring your PCT and ask them guide lines for bariatric surgery for this year:cool: ..or ask at you G.PS for a copy of the form...
and the NICE guide lines....
you may also want to look over the BOSPA web site...
.this should give you the information you need..
If you need help...ask on here,..
x x x

Thanks Lisa, I will ring my GP's secretary in the morning and ask who I should call at my local PCT, I have checked the guidelines, but these may well be out of date, hope so!! Although I think as these are guidelines if one has a strong case it might help to attach a letter as mentioned before, I will look at this tomorrow as well and start getting dates of my WW/SW, Reductil and Oristat attempts from my GP files and see about asking them in more detail about the funding.
Thanks again Lisa
xx

Hi Marie, many thanks for the welcome xx
This is a great site and hopefully I will have some news to add in the upcoming weeks, fingers crossed
Wendyx

Thanks Neen, yes Lisa's been great! (sorry to put you on the spot Lisa x), and it is great she is at the same hospital, hopefully I will hear within the next two to three weeks from them to see if I qualify, if not then the appeal process, but the doctors surgery seem to be extremely supportive so hopefully it will not be too stressful.
Will let you know when I hear something.
Wendyx

Back