• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MGB by Dr Chris Debryune in Belgium

Southdubliner

Hi to all the valuable members of this very helpful forum. I am planning to go for MGB by Dr Debruyne in Belgium in Mid December. I have done lot of research but as with any surgical procedure, am very nervous and still not sure whether I'll chick out at the last moment. I am 43, male, BMI of 33 but with weight related arthritis that is affecting my work a lot. I've tried various weight loss methods and tried swimming, fad diets etc etc with no major effect. Any comments/help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I am based in Northwest England and going private as do not qualify for NHS funding:sigh:.

Hi Southdubliner, I had MGB with Dr Debruyne 4 weeks ago and must say I had hardly any pain, all the staff were lovely and virtually all speak excellent English. Can't speak too highly of them all. Don't be nervous, there are a lot of us here who went to Belgium and we'll all be here to support you.

Hi there Southdubliner :)

Just to echo what Sundown has said, there are loads of people who have had the same surgery with the same doctor, so you can find a wealth of information here on the boards. I'm due to have an mgb with Dr Debruyne in December as well so we're in the same boat.

Many thanks. Did you both ever considered Gastric Sleeve? As I am also thinking seriously of that option too...Any thoughts??

I initially considered getting the sleeve, but after researching the mgb (and being persuaded by Bart!) I decided that it was better for me and my lifestyle. It's not an easy decision to make but I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

Thanks Summer1992. I know its tough...My main concern is that MGB is a relatively new procedure and with no Pylorus (lower end of Stomach) left to protect from Bile reflux in to stomach, it may lead to some long term damage...(?? Oesophageal Ca)

There is no concrete evidence for cancer caused by mgb. However I had severe acid reflux with my band and I still do have some minor heartburn with Mgb. You will be on Omeprezol or similar for life anyway to protect your stomach. It is true though that with traditional bypass the risk of acid issues is near 0% but the risk of acid with MGB is not high.

The risk of severe acid issues with sleeve is much higher but again not massive. If you have acid reflux issues with a sleeve you would have to convert to a traditional bypass (if severe)

I don't have any acid reflux issues at the moment and I agree that probably sleeve may cause or aggravate reflux but it hasn't shown any malignancy risks...so far..

I have the sleeve and after the initial 3 months on omeprozole, I started getting acid a few months after that. I now take 1 omeprozole tablet daily and apart from one incident I'm acid free.

I guess the question would be, does taking a tablet affect my life - no it doesn't. But, I obviously have no experience of an MGB. It's a really hard decision to make on which surgery to have. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Southdubliner & welcome
There is a really helful, lengthy thread on here - Pre and post op support for members travelling to Belgium, all more or less with Dr Chris, it is very helpful.
I had MGB on sept 11th and have lost 3 stone 3 lbs now.
I initially throught of having a band but this site proved invaluable in research and after consult with Frederik, from BSS, decided to go for MGB as it gives you greater freedom longer term and social life etc. I don't have a sweet tooth and prefer cheese to cake, so avoiding fats n sugars seemed do able to me, I can eat reduced fat cheese for calcium n proteins which are important.
Op went well, hospital excellent, husband is a nurse and he went with me and was very impressed at care.
I take omeprazole 40 mg daily now but was on 20mg prior to op as had acid, no problems at all now, each morning I take my HRT, Omeprazole and forceval vitamin capsule (hated the liquid taste)
I feel fabulous, healthier and self confidence is returning. It also affects hormones which tell your brain you are hungry so hunger is a thing of the past for me now, I have to remember to eat.
Good luck in which ever you choose, I have no regrets, I also like that everything is still in my body - it can be reversed should it ever be necessary and it is working
I only had 2 weeks & 2 days off work and then returned.
Wendy

Back