• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk Diet- Can someone explain it to me?

civvygit

ass-kickin'-mama
I can't find any clear and defined explanation of this diet, what you eat/drink, when, how much, the benefits, why I would be required to do it, how long it lasts?

I'm also confused about other diets, requests by surgical teams, that I've read about and as most of the info on the net is from the US I thought I'd ask here.

Best wishes,

Cx

The liver shrinkage diet being another.

I know what it's for, but not what I'd be consuming and so on.

Not panicking, but just looking for clarity!

Hi honey :) most surgeons ask that you do a liver shrinking diet pre op to give them the best possible chance to do the op laparoscopically which is obviously much easier if the liver is not huge. The diets are usually low cal or milk but I have heard of people doing Slimfast. I did the milk diet which was better for me as no chance of getting it wrong :) It was 3 pints of SK milk & 3 low fat yoghurts per day + 2 litres of fluid ie; NAS Squash or water. It is usually required for 2 weeks but can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Sounds harsh but really wasn't. Hope that helps you, sweetie :) xxx

Thanks Twinkle,

I can't stand slim-fast, I can't stand anything that has even a little powder texture to it..... Even packet cheese sauce makes me sick, physically!

The milk diet doesn't sound to bad.

How long in until you feel less hungry and what are your energy levels like during it?

Cx

Thanks Twinkle,

I can't stand slim-fast, I can't stand anything that has even a little powder texture to it..... Even packet cheese sauce makes me sick, physically!

The milk diet doesn't sound to bad.

How long in until you feel less hungry and what are your energy levels like during it?

Cx

The first couple of days you miss food, but we have all been there, lol ... about 4 days in I had a low grade headache due to the carb withdrawal but this was minimal & only lasted a day or two. The last 2 days I could feel my energy levels lowering but I was trying to get everything done, including the garden before I went into hospital & so was expending much more energy than I had in the bank, so my fault entirely. It was all a waste of time too as 2 weeks post op I was up to doing it anyway :):) xxx

The reason you have these diets is not for weight loss but as Denise said to shrink the liver...although most people do lose weight (extra bonus)

The milk diet is often used and is easy if you don't like to think about what you want to eat too much....the 3rd day seems to be the worst mostly with headaches...this is due to the carb withdrawal...after that it becomes easier.

I did the low fat diet, just as it says, mainly because I struggle to drink 2 litres anyway and the thought of a couple extra pints ...I thought I'd drown.

Some surgeons don't give you a choice you just have to do the diet they give you.

None of them are too bad and to keep at them shows the commitment that you are going to need to be successful

Good luck glad you've joined us....loads of good useful info and experience to be found on this site:D

Last edited:
The first couple of days you miss food, but we have all been there, lol ... about 4 days in I had a low grade headache due to the carb withdrawal but this was minimal & only lasted a day or two. The last 2 days I could feel my energy levels lowering but I was trying to get everything done, including the garden before I went into hospital & so was expending much more energy than I had in the bank, so my fault entirely. It was all a waste of time too as 2 weeks post op I was up to doing it anyway :):) xxx

Ah the joys!

I find I can't put anything off here either so can imagine a similar scenario.

Thank you for all your input, it's a kind of a roller coaster ride isn't it? I've never had the true lows yet, although running after the PCT is peeing me off, I'm a great believer in do the job you are paid to do or move over and let someone else!

Here's another thought/question, have you heard of any support groups run by patients themselves rather than the hospitals?

I've been to a few and they all seem to be 'info' sessions rather than practical advice and real life tried and tested tips!

A recent bad example of which would be a friends sister who had her surgery in 2010, privately, and lives on 'fags, chocolate and coffee' and who 'has a perfectly healthy diet so doesn't need any supplements'.....

Cx

Thanks Sarah!

Ah the joys!

I find I can't put anything off here either so can imagine a similar scenario.

Thank you for all your input, it's a kind of a roller coaster ride isn't it? I've never had the true lows yet, although running after the PCT is peeing me off, I'm a great believer in do the job you are paid to do or move over and let someone else!

Here's another thought/question, have you heard of any support groups run by patients themselves rather than the hospitals?

I've been to a few and they all seem to be 'info' sessions rather than practical advice and real life tried and tested tips!

A recent bad example of which would be a friends sister who had her surgery in 2010, privately, and lives on 'fags, chocolate and coffee' and who 'has a perfectly healthy diet so doesn't need any supplements'.....

Cx

Google BoSPA they are patient led support groups held all around the country:)

Well I have never been bothered about going to support groups but lots of people on here do & gain a great deal from them. For every success story though, there will be someone who just cannot adapt to the lifetime commitment needed & they tend to be the ones who go to the support groups. (not always) This can be demoralising for the uninitiated & so I have gathered all my strength from the lovely people on here. I am not saying it is a walk in the park, but I am one of the lucky ones who got the op with minimal fuss & have done well with very few hiccups along the way. There are people at the other end of the spectrum who really are struggling just to get funding & the ones who have post op complications. You will see all these scenarios by reading lots of previous posts. It is good to ask as many questions as you can think of as information is your friend :):) xxx

Well I have never been bothered about going to support groups but lots of people on here do & gain a great deal from them. For every success story though, there will be someone who just cannot adapt to the lifetime commitment needed & they tend to be the ones who go to the support groups. (not always) This can be demoralising for the uninitiated & so I have gathered all my strength from the lovely people on here. I am not saying it is a walk in the park, but I am one of the lucky ones who got the op with minimal fuss & have done well with very few hiccups along the way. There are people at the other end of the spectrum who really are struggling just to get funding & the ones who have post op complications. You will see all these scenarios by reading lots of previous posts. It is good to ask as many questions as you can think of as information is your friend :):) xxx

I must admit they're not for me either, I went to 1 just a couple of days before my op...just to see I guess......but I find the forum here much more useful and supportive:)

I think I like the idea of face to face information and building relationships based on common hurdles/barriers and sharing ideas on how to over come them in real life local situations.

There are so many PCT's with different criteria, so many different surgeons asking people to complete diets they prefer, and even more post-op care scenarios I can think of that, while I'm sure I'll find the answer here eventually, as a CDW I'm used to dealing with groups and individuals for info sharing anyway!

Cx

Not that this site isn't a well of knowledge, and every question I've had so far has been answered by simply searching, or asking!

I think I like the idea of face to face information and building relationships based on common hurdles/barriers and sharing ideas on how to over come them in real life local situations.

There are so many PCT's with different criteria, so many different surgeons asking people to complete diets they prefer, and even more post-op care scenarios I can think of that, while I'm sure I'll find the answer here eventually, as a CDW I'm used to dealing with groups and individuals for info sharing anyway!

Cx

The BoSPA groups will be ideal for you then I think, the one I attended had loads of people at all stages, however because I'm in Cornwall there is only 1 surgeon so everyone had the same guy - mind you he is a demi god in my eyes!!

They have speakers etc and lots of bumf available. These are monthly meetings, so hopefully you'll find one close to you:D

Not that this site isn't a well of knowledge, and every question I've had so far has been answered by simply searching, or asking!

Don't worry no one will take offence for you seeking out as much info from wherever you can ... its positively encouraged:D

I'm glad you're finding the site useful

Don't worry no one will take offence for you seeking out as much info from wherever you can ... its positively encouraged:D

I'm glad you're finding the site useful

Am loving it!

Finding I log on when I should be doing other things, like tiling the bathroom, walking the dog, feeding the kids...... :eek:

Back