• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apneoa...cud I have it? How to approach doctor?

My poor hubby used to lie awake half the night prodding me repeatedly sometimes his prods woke me up ... Never prod a sleeping woman awake :mad:
Unfortunately you can't make him go to the GP but what has he got to lose by enquiring? If he isn't sleep apnoeaic then that's great ... Noisy but at least then you can buy earplugs:)

Earplugs don't work.
He has even woke the kids up and if he falls asleep down stairs you can hear him even with the doors shut :eek:

Who can't make him see the GP:copon::whip:
I persuaded him to give up smoking 15 years ago, Getting him to the GP is the easy part getting him to admit the problem is the hard part

I got mine to go by suggesting it could be something else. that worked for me.

Earplugs don't work.
He has even woke the kids up and if he falls asleep down stairs you can hear him even with the doors shut :eek:

Who can't make him see the GP:copon::whip:
I persuaded him to give up smoking 15 years ago, Getting him to the GP is the easy part getting him to admit the problem is the hard part

Go with him... As far as he is concerned there isn't a problem so why should he worry about it?.. but for you there is. You can bet many a partner has been dragged to their GP by their other halves because of their incessantly loud snoring etc only to sit there meekly while their suffering partners go on to tell the GP of their plight... Doctors are a bit like teachers. They make you pay attention and you don't answer back ;).

On the earplugs part .... I used to blame my husband for the racket in my house. To help hide my embarrassment he took it on the chin. Bless him but in honesty it didn't do me any real favours.

Hi
Sorry for replying too late.
I can only agree with the reply's already given.I got tested and i was not breathing 70 times an hour,and my blood gases( oxygen in the blood was as low as 51%...i was on the verge of having a stroke or worse...Sleep Apneoa is SERIOUS and NEEDS to be sorted out. Within 48 hours i was on my CPAP-21st July 2011 & still on it-and my sleep was sorted out. I'll never forget the feeling of having a decent kip when i woke up. My nurse thinks i hadn't slept for YEARS and it makes sense as i had all the symptoms of SA.
Falling asleep whilst in traffic jams,falling asleep talking to my wife,falling asleep within seconds of sitting down is common...another sympton to look out for is constantly getting up to go to the loo in the night 3-4 times a night..this is because the brain doesn't shut off properly.Please bear in mind also that sleep deprivation was a TORTURE during the war...i was hallucinating all the time was very scary.
I really can't stress highly enough how important it is to get this checked out..Hope all is well

Take Care
Andy x

Last edited:
You are on the right track now Andy thank goodness! & congrats at becoming an official hosehead :D. It takes a while before you fully feel the benefits of using CPAP as you will have a huge sleep deficit to recoup first ;) but nothing matches that first good night sleep does it:).. I had completely forgotten how it felt to be well slept and I had only slept 4 or5 hours. Sleep docs reckon I had been apnoeaic since my teens.
Next hurdle for you is learning how to cope with the mask etc. Keeping the mask free from oils off the skin etc helps it maintain a good seal around the mouth and nose. So it's a good idea to clean it everyday. I used to sleep with a face cloth beside me so I could wipe face and mask through the night if I got sweaty :eek:
Good luck hun and keep us posted x

Last edited:
Back