• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apneoa...cud I have it? How to approach doctor?

purple_rain

Hi ladies and gents, I need your help and advice please. Doc told me on my last visit that with my bmi to qualify for surgery in my area I had to have hypertension, type 2 diabetes or sleep Apneoa.

Well I'd never considered I might have sleep Apneoa....as I thought I'd be aware if I stopped breathing in my sleep but tonight I saw some info on telly about it and it reminded me that this morning my husband said how much of a nightmare I was snoring and keeping him awake last night. This prompted me to do a search on the net where I also read that it causes involuntary falling asleep in the day time and I've been complaining of this for a long time to the doctors, so much so that they done blood tests checking thyroid and diabetes.

So wen he got in I asked him about it and he said I was snoring really loudly and snorting and waking myself up and falling back to sleep again only to do it again......so do you think I might have it and if so how do I go about approaching the doctor as I don't want her to think I'm asking to be tested just becoz i know it will get me the opp as it really is pure coinscidence that she's just mentioned it to me and all this crops up!

Sorry for essay xx

Sounds possible and I wouldn't really care what the doc though I would ask to be tested for it. Sleep apnoea is life threatening. Its not just a means to an end, I assure you. One thing you should maybe try is to google Epworth sleepiness test, complete it and show it to your doctor, explain that you've seen this and you're worried about what it means, could you please be tested as you're quite scared now.

Thanks for the reply, I suppose ur right I shouldn't care what she thinks but that's just me I'm afraid. Just Google the scale, thanks for that very interesting. Came out at moderate.xx

Id also add that I would take you husband with you to see docs if possible. Lots of people with SA don't realise they wake up during the night and how many times etc.

As wobbly says .. Take your bed partner with you. Be assertive with your GP too as sometimes they can be hard to convince. Sleep Apnoea is a silent killer although our other halves would disagree hehe. With every apnoeaic attack the strain it puts on our hearts, BP and other organs is phenomenal. If you are diagnosed as a hosehead the quicker you become "compliant" with the CPAP treatment the quicker you will move forward with you weight loss battle :;):

Sounds possible and I wouldn't really care what the doc though I would ask to be tested for it. Sleep apnoea is life threatening. Its not just a means to an end, I assure you. One thing you should maybe try is to google Epworth sleepiness test, complete it and show it to your doctor, explain that you've seen this and you're worried about what it means, could you please be tested as you're quite scared now.

Thanks for that Yves,
I am going to show my hubby this and book him into the Drs .
He scores nearly top of the scale to my reckoning but reckons he hasn't got a problem :sigh:

My husband tried to convince me from day one of our marriage that there was a problem as i often would stop breathing when asleep... i was 11stone and my idealish weight then. I blamed it on the severe asthma i suffer. Sleep Apnoea and its health risks wasnt really known about back then (1980). But my sleeping habits were a constant cause of heated discussion between hubby and I especially as i would nod off mid conversation, in the cinema, in work meetings.. any opportunity really :eek:. In 2002 I developed a rather nasty bout of pneumonia which had me hospitalised for over a month. During that time I became acutley aware that I was wakening myself up gasping, heart racing etcetc so much so that come nighttime I preffered sleeping in the coffee lounge on a recliner in an almost upright armchair much to the dismay of the nurses:rolleyes:. At first i blamed the pneumonia and my asthma. It wasnt until my hubby begged that I got it checked out that I decided to look in to it. At his point you would have thought the hospital would have cottoned on but no they didnt. Once out of hospital and via internet I discovered OSA and I was convinced so at my follow up appointment with GP i asked if it possible that I was a sufferer? He had no hesitation to put this to my consultant whom I was still under the care of... but In 2002 OSA was just becoming recognised.. in men mostly... My consultant took one look at me and snorted "you are too young and female. I doubt very much you have Sleep Apnoea" He did however arrange for me to take home some monitoring equipment. It was a complete nightmare. The belts didnt fit properely the tabs wouldnt stick and 2 hours in i still wasnt asleep. 3 hours later i was woken by an alarm from the equipment. It wasnt working any longer:mad:. I took it all back the next again day told my sorry tale and waited for the what happens next App... It came back negative ... no surprise there as i hadnt slept and the damn thing had broke.. and I didnt have OSA?? so basicly i was to go away happy in the knowledge i had been given the all clear:mad:... not bleep bleep likely!!
Dismayed i went back to GP with hubby this time and asked if I could be tested privatly. So a week later i was in an Edinburgh clinic to pick up a similar set of belts and monitors along with seeing a private consultant and again a few days later to get the results. Yes he agreed. The monitors had picked up a problem & he would send the results to both my GP and the consultant who at my next app was livid that and I quote "I had the audacity to go above his head"?!?:nono: He then discharged me from his care even though i was not ready to be. It was laughable to be honest but he did refer me to Edinburgh Sleep Clinic which he sneeringly told me had a 2 year wait list(I already knew this though). Personally I felt victorious. I had never been pro active or vocal as regards my health before but by god did I make up for it!
It was a couple months later that someone on a forum suggested i tried Gartnavel hospital..I sheepishly asked my GP to enquire. 2month later i was booked in for an overnight study. I will never forget that night. It was a terrible start i couldnt sleep properly and once asleep i was woken by an alarm .. the nurse had forgot to plug in a peice of equipment and the battery had ran out :8855:. i quickly got back to sleep only to get woke up again shortly after...or so i thought. The sleep nurse said right thats you Mrs M we will get the results and let you know after breakfast... breakfast?? what time is it? i asked. You could have knocked me down with a feather when she proclaimed 7.30 am:faint2: I was awake feeling fantastic.. i had not slept like that for years and years. I walked out the sleep clinic 2 hours later CPAP in hand and officially a hosehead.
I wont say it has been an easy journey because initially it wasnt ... ask me now (10 years later) if I could sleep without it.. not a hope I have tried and its impossible. I cant for the life of me figure out how i ever did so before :confused:.
I can not understand people and yes its men in particular who fight the probability that they are sufferers of Sleep Apnoea. It will not go away of its own accord if their lifestyle continues as it does. I can however understand that when you are asleep you have absolutely no idea of the tremendous strain you are putting your system through by the constant "stop starting" and when someone tells you that you do stop breathing you find it incomprehensible that you would do so and not be even remotley aware of it. I certainly did argue that point often with my hubby for 20 odd years before I realised!
I remember the Private consultant quoting from a study done in Japan i think. It involved mortality rates over a 10 year period of OSA in treated patients and untreated patients. I cant remember the figures but I remember being really shocked by the figures he gave. OSA is truely a silent killer.

Good for you for making yourself heard! Its beyond me why any doctor would b furious with someone for seeking a second opinion wen that second opinion has proven they have a potentially life threatening illness....he shud have been begging your forgiveness!

Can I ask is it something that would happen every night or could it occur some nights and not others? Some of the things people have mentioned and I have read really spark a cord with me but hubby says I don't do it all the time xx

femfrankie my hubby sounds like you (in denial)
We have been together 23 years and I have always told him that he has a problem, But he won't believe me.
Things blew up last weekend because his snoring was keeping me awake but he still says its not a problem.
I think I am going to have to force the issue and hope he listens to me or it may end up in a divorce court :wave_cry:

I always fall asleep at traffic lights...luckily its usually my husband driving. I use public transport a lot too and 9 times out of 10 I have to battle to stay awake...doesn't usually work!xx

lamornamiss u deffo need to get your hubby to listen! Maybe try videoing him with ur phone....often actually people seeing what they r like makes it sink in!xx

Good for you for making yourself heard! Its beyond me why any doctor would b furious with someone for seeking a second opinion wen that second opinion has proven they have a potentially life threatening illness....he shud have been begging your forgiveness!

Can I ask is it something that would happen every night or could it occur some nights and not others? Some of the things people have mentioned and I have read really spark a cord with me but hubby says I don't do it all the time xx

No it didn't happen every single night to start off with but after a drink or heavy meal or even an attack of sinusitis it would be markedly there ... Thats usually when we had our heated discussions :eek:. As the weight increased and as I got older it became the norm and the tiredness really started to creep in but again I would blame it on the fact I worked shifts full time with three children so of course I was tired :rolleyes: excuse after excuse rather than address the issue:eek:

My husband has sleep apneoa, he was always tired, snored really loudly and I noticed that he stopped breathing all the time, was really scary. He also could fall asleep any time of day or night within seconds of sitting down.

I would advise you to go to your doctors and tell them what your husband has said and ask if you could possibly go for a test.

I wish you luck :)

Thanks so much for all the info uve shared with me its the insight I've needed....I was beginning to think I was being silly considering it but now I don't and Im definitely going to bring it up with the doctor next week. Where are u from? Im in East Kilbride xx

femfrankie my hubby sounds like you (in denial)
We have been together 23 years and I have always told him that he has a problem, But he won't believe me.
Things blew up last weekend because his snoring was keeping me awake but he still says its not a problem.
I think I am going to have to force the issue and hope he listens to me or it may end up in a divorce court :wave_cry:

My poor hubby used to lie awake half the night prodding me repeatedly sometimes his prods woke me up ... Never prod a sleeping woman awake :mad:
Unfortunately you can't make him go to the GP but what has he got to lose by enquiring? If he isn't sleep apnoeaic then that's great ... Noisy but at least then you can buy earplugs:)

Thanks so much for all the info uve shared with me its the insight I've needed....I was beginning to think I was being silly considering it but now I don't and Im definitely going to bring it up with the doctor next week. Where are u from? Im in East Kilbride xx

Good ...I'm just outside Falkirk hun :)

Back