• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MONEY SAVING TIPS!

salski

Hello all - thought I would start a thread ready for the new year with all our little money saving tips!
My newest one is not to use powder to wash clothes with, or at least HALF of what they reccomend on the box and instead of using fabric softenenr, using lavender essential oil and soda crystals.
I also:
When using jars of curry etc for quick easy tea's - always add extra onion, toms and grated carrot to help the meal go further - mushrooms and tinned pulses are fab too
Always use lids on pans (or plates if you dont have the lids anymore) to save energy and speed up cooking
Always use old envelopes for shooping lists
If your on a diet but still want a treat - freeze curly wurly's and break a bit off them every now and then.
Always swill tins and jars out with a little water and add it back to your cooking
To easily cut meat - use scissors
switch from chicken breasts and diced chicken to turkey meat! It may need a little bit longer cooking but is £££££££'s cheaper by far!
Always re-use kitchen cleaner bottles - make up with washing up liquid, vinegar and water - smells a bit pongy whilst doing it - but that goes pretty much straight away and its cheap and works!
Utilise the weater! Veg keeps really well when wrapped up outside in the garden.
After recenlty having weight loss surgery and losing 10 stone, ten becomming pregnant - charity shops, ebay and jumble sales are invaluable for clothes! I have genuinely not bought anything 'new' since my op in April 2009
The 'hardware' type stalls on markes seell things like washing up liquid - we bought a 2 litre fairy liquid bottle for £2 and its so far lastest about 3 months being watered down a little and added to a pump bottle
Join your local library!!! It makes a huge difference even if you buy your books second hand. In Manchester when you join the library you can use ANY in the whole of Manchester!
Best moisturiser in the world and Im a huge convert! When soaking wet after bath or shower - rub baby oil (cheapo version) all over and shove a towel on - must be soaking wet (your body - not the towel! lol), it dries in and leaves my skin so soft - moisturiser has pretty much become obsolete for me now!

Please please please add yours as I need to save pennies ready for maternity leave!

Sal xxx

Bev

I'm a canny housewife too Sal... means we can have extra's that we like in other ways... if I can freeze extra's to save on cooking in the week... I do those types of things regularly and I recycle virtually everything that I possibly can and even enjoy making handmade gifts to save and personalise things very often... I'm an all year round salt dough fan.

We rarely throw anything out and I still have coal fires so often use our firewood from our own trees and we are still burning logs from a row of trees we took down three years ago... it's saved a fortune on our fuel bill through this colder weather...

Little things matter too... like shutting doors...keeping the heat in and draught out... plus conserving electricity.

The 'make do and mend' years are still close in mind since I was bought up as a child post war and it was instilled in me to knit our own, mend our own and be thrifty... food wise... we certainly were so much healthier back then with ration books!

Well done Sal... a terrific thread. Keep well precious xxx

jo_ jo

Hiya

Some good tips there thanks.
By the way I cant believe how fast your pregancy is going. You are so nearly there it doesnt seem like five minutes ago since you said you were having a babe

All the best

Jo
xx

salski

I'm a canny housewife too Sal... means we can have extra's that we like in other ways... if I can freeze extra's to save on cooking in the week... I do those types of things regularly and I recycle virtually everything that I possibly can and even enjoy making handmade gifts to save and personalise things very often... I'm an all year round salt dough fan.

We rarely throw anything out and I still have coal fires so often use our firewood from our own trees and we are still burning logs from a row of trees we took down three years ago... it's saved a fortune on our fuel bill through this colder weather...

Little things matter too... like shutting doors...keeping the heat in and draught out... plus conserving electricity.

The 'make do and mend' years are still close in mind since I was bought up as a child post war and it was instilled in me to knit our own, mend our own and be thrifty... food wise... we certainly were so much healthier back then with ration books!

Well done Sal... a terrific thread. Keep well precious xxx

Great tips - what do you use the salt dough for?
Im a huge advocate now Im post op to conserve the heat! Im constantly shutting doors!

salski

Hiya

Some good tips there thanks.
By the way I cant believe how fast your pregancy is going. You are so nearly there it doesnt seem like five minutes ago since you said you were having a babe

All the best

Jo
xx

Yeah - I feel like that too - and to be fair I keep going on how huge I am - but in all honesty Im tiny compared to my friends - something I never thought I'd be considering my past! lol
TY hun x

Bev

I've got a thread on here somewhere Sal for salt dough... it's a decorative thing really... and it's so damn cheap to make... if you feel like applying some handicraft art skills... I make hearts with people's names on for gifts and things like that... also decorative items for wall hanging for gifts... I've given no end away for Christmas and will start making Easter bits and bobs soon....

You can't eat it though! Yuk.

I find it saves a fortune for personalised gifts and I seal them with clear varnish and they last for years...

Love and hugs xxx

Big an Bouncy

Get next chrimbos cards and wrap now while its reduced.
Look out for unwanted presents donated to charity shops.I used to manage one and Jan was a good month for them.
Buy frozen diced onions,peppers and mushrooms,so easy to use and lots cheaper.Great for stews,spag bol,curry etc
Update an old evening bag with a vintage broach or fancy buttons to match an outfit.
Save all those plastic pots with lids,when you make a family meal fill a pot with a small portion for after your wls.
Put free Bogofs in a spare cupboard or garage for christmas(non perishables!)

DaisyMaesy

When meat is on special offer - joints of pork, beef or lamb I buy one. For instance just before Christmas I bought a joint of top rump beef for £10.56 From this I cut 2 joints for two, 2 steaks and £1lb for mince (Cheaper per kilo than ready minced beef!) and a portion for a stew.
Be able to get more out of one post op LOL

Jane

there are some great money saving tips and I will certainly be trying some of them.

I used to use the dough instead of buying Play-Doh when the children were small, they loved it. Give them some dough and a cheap paint box and they were quiet for quite a while.

salski

Great tips guys - keep em coming!!