• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Movicol - how do you take it??

Andrea73

Hi guys, Sorry if this is TMI but we are all friends here :). Anyway my bowel habit is not so much a habit so I need a bit of help. Anyway alot of you recommend Movicol and I've tried it but find it disgusting to the point that I gag when drinking it. How do you drink yours? In one go or do you sip, sip sip? Do you add diluting juice? Also if I want to keep regular do I need to take this everyday or just every so often??

Sorry for all the questions.

My daughter has to take it everyday sometimes up to 12 sachets a day but that is a different story!! I have found the best way to make it is to use squash and add it to the squash, and sip it you can even put it in the fridge and sip it through the day if you cant tolerate it in one go, just give it a stir each time.

Hi guys, Sorry if this is TMI but we are all friends here :). Anyway my bowel habit is not so much a habit so I need a bit of help. Anyway alot of you recommend Movicol and I've tried it but find it disgusting to the point that I gag when drinking it. How do you drink yours? In one go or do you sip, sip sip? Do you add diluting juice? Also if I want to keep regular do I need to take this everyday or just every so often??

Sorry for all the questions.

I had the chocolate flavour which was beyond disgusting but i finished all 36 sachets of it :jelous:

I have the flavourless ones which I make up with lemon Barley water. The flavourless ones still make the drinks change flavour (makes them sweeter sickly sweet). I've tried it in blackcurrant, orange, tropical and fresh apple and orange juice. I find that the Lemon flavoured Barley Water is the drink that is least affected by the movicol.

When I used to take the chocolate flavour I tended to hold my breath and gulp the lot down in one (only 100mls). I can go much slower with the Barley Water. Also make sure you add lots of ice.

HtHs

my gp gave me 'laxido' its just a cheaper versian of movicol, it has an orange flavour and isnt too bad, but i add it to nas squash, then just keep taking sips till its gone. i take it when i feel as though i should be 'going' ,
and it works great for me.

I bought some suppositories today so gonna try them first but if that fails may just have to be the Movicol YUK

Movical is a bowel wash, it flushes through the bowel and pushes it along and soften as it goes, you shouldnt really experience too much griping pain like you can do with other laxatives, it does the job great but just dont taste that good.

I popped it in some juice at first but Now I just add a bit of water and drink it (lol even added it to vodka once lol)

LOL - with caution given my recent experience! Because once you've taken it, it seems to develop a life of its own!

Andrea my mum is the same as you she gags everytime with Movicol but its the only thing that works for her. We both use Lemon and Lime flavour, we both drink it down very quickly i'm ok with it as you know but mum just takes it in as little water as possible and immediatly has a drink after it. Once it takes effect and you get established you should only need to take it once a day or every second day. You may initially need to take 1.5 sachets 3 times a day to get going. Good luck xx

I take it either on it's own or in NAS squash, which makes it taste a bit better...I can't gulp anything so I'm forced to sip, but would rather get than down me than suffer the effects of being so bunged up I feel dreadful. I have found it better than typical laxatives which can cause terrible bowel spasms & make me feel quite ill. I have been taking the two sachets a day as recommended, but am going to reduce that to one now I think, as everything thing seems to be moving still!

Oh the joys of toilet talk!!! I tried a suppository this afternoon and OMG the effect was immediate :). Think I will start on the movicol though as that seems to be the best there is. Cheers everyone

Back