• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Movicol

jaynefrances

Sorry, more bowel issues ! I must sound obsessed.
Finally got prescribed movicol but it doesn't say on the pack how it affects you. I didn't dare take any today incase it made me go in the morning as its my first day back at uni. (i think i'm emotionally scarred by my awful senna experiences !) Is it like senna, where you take it and go 10 hours later or does it work gradually. I need to plan when to take it as i'm nervous about getting caught out

Hi Jayne

my experience of this was that it's very mild and works more on 'softening' you up that actually making you go quickly.

I did at one stage take about 6 of the sachets in a day when I was having problems so I think you should be safe.

Glad about this post, have just been prescribed some as well, just taken one sachet dissolved in water, but it doesn't say on the instructions whether to take it at morning or night. I usually take bisocodyl but find they give me griping pains in tummy.
Any advice on how many sachets of movicol and when to take them would be appreciated :))))))) xxxx

Take it as you get home and you will be fine. It works steadily. Dont forget to add a little no added sugar squash to make it a little more palatable.

Thanks for the info guys. I've just had my first sachet and wish i'd read the post about adding cordial first as it was vile !!
Jan, my prescription said 2-3 sachets per day, spaced evenly for constipation and 6-8 sachets per day for impaction.

Hiya, thanks for the info, I was like you and tried it last night without cordial, yuk lol. Thanks to everyone for always being so helpful on this site, it is so good to know you are always there xxxx

I took it for a good few months from around 3 months post op, I used to take two every night, one on a morning and usually go during that day.
It is quite gentle, but I think it works diff for many, trial and error im afraid!

I was lucky, and never really got caught out, it certainly isnt like dulcolax, which was awful, made me crap and when i had to go, i had to go!

I am now (happy to report!) very regular with no need for any help from movicol!

.x.

I take it on a regular basis i'm one of the fortunate ones who can drink it as it comes. IF I'm struggling i take 3 sachts a day for about 3 or 4 days and that does the trick, then i take one sachet every second day which seems to keep me regular. Its not an instant effect so you should be totally safe to go out and about as usual xx

How good is Movicol !!!
Okay so this may be too much information but i have no shame....... I've been twice this morning and didn't cry with the pain. Its the best BM i've had for 2 months, what a relief !!
It's the little things in life that please me lol

I have to agree it should be called Magicol as it really helped me post op as i was on senna but that gave me stomach pain but movical worked a miracle.

It isnt a laxative so it wound make you run to the loo when you are out and about. It just softens it

At first I was having 5 a day as I was very compacted But now I prob have 1 a month if that

Back