• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mr Jamie Kelly

Helski

Hi All
I've got my consultation appointment with Mr Kelly at 8 pm on Monday. I just wondered if you have any advice or experience of how this will go?
What questions should I ask? Did you take husband/wife with you?

Also how quickly are you mobile and able to lift (ie grandson) after gastric band op?

Thanks.

Hi Helski, didn't want to leave your thread empty. I have no experience of this surgeon unfortunately, but just wanted to welcome you.

In terms of questions, mortality rate is a good one to ask as is post op care and what is included in your package and what is not.

I had my partner with me for my appt with the surgeon and I would definitely recommend it!

Hi All
I've got my consultation appointment with Mr Kelly at 8 pm on Monday. I just wondered if you have any advice or experience of how this will go?
What questions should I ask? Did you take husband/wife with you?

Also how quickly are you mobile and able to lift (ie grandson) after gastric band op?

Thanks.

Hi & welcome Helski

Hubby has been to every consultation and dieticians app before and after my bypass which was nine weeks ago now.
Questions I asked.. Mortality rate? Diet afterwards? Post operative problems?

I have a granddaughter who is no lightweight but I found coping strategies around lifting her without pulling on the internal stitching /staples. I did allow myself three weeks healing time beforehand though ;) I was mobile quite quickly tbh and was able to do most things within reason and allowing for the fact I had just had major surgery after about a week.

Well, I've just met with my prospective surgeon. He was very nice and made a point of managing my expectations. Mostly that a GB is a tool and the real change has to come from within.
He also said that I would be doing well to lose 50% of my excess weight. I guess that part is up to me.
I think my mind is made up and I am hoping to have my surgery about mid November. He also said that he would be looking for me to lose at least 8 lbs before the op and that in Australia if they open you up and you haven't followed the diet (which they can tell from the size of the liver) they close you back up and send you on your way. Based on the if you can't be bothered then neither can we. Harsh but fair.

Hi there is this your first appointment. Yes take your wife with you, this is a journey your starting to a new life and she will be your support, so she needs to hear exactly what is going to happen on your journey, don't worry it's a great journey. Good luck and be strong

Well, I've just met with my prospective surgeon. He was very nice and made a point of managing my expectations. Mostly that a GB is a tool and the real change has to come from within.
He also said that I would be doing well to lose 50% of my excess weight. I guess that part is up to me.
I think my mind is made up and I am hoping to have my surgery about mid November. He also said that he would be looking for me to lose at least 8 lbs before the op and that in Australia if they open you up and you haven't followed the diet (which they can tell from the size of the liver) they close you back up and send you on your way. Based on the if you can't be bothered then neither can we. Harsh but fair.
This is exactly the same for UK patients. Sadly some still cheat. As for the 50% - you don't mention your current weight, but I'm nearly at 50% total body weight and still going fairly strong. My GP sees no reason why I shouldn't hit my target.

your about the weight i was when i started my pre op about 5 weeks ago. i was 2lbs heavier! Just stick to whatever diet it is they make you do pre op and youll be fine!

That's interesting, did you have a band and what diet did you follow? If you don't mind me asking.
How are you finding it all? Recovery etc?
Thanks.

That's interesting, did you have a band and what diet did you follow? If you don't mind me asking. How are you finding it all? Recovery etc? Thanks.

I did have the band fitted! Pre op I followed low cal/low carb diet about 1000 cals a day! Things are going great I'm nearly 3 weeks post op I feel great tbh! Can't wait to go swimming! I'm onto soft food and go back to complete solids next week! Nothing's getting stuck, I don't think there's much restriction there but I'm making sure I don't overheat x

Back