• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Multivitamins not agreeing with me - anyone else had this?

Samsara

Hello guys. As instructed I have started to take a daily multivitamin in advance of my surgery. I was told to take Centrum or Sanatogen and so went for Sanatogen A-Z Complete. Ever since I have started taking them (over the last three days) I have had terrible nausea, gurgling and a cramping stomach and a feeling I am going to be sick all the time. I could barely eat yesterday I felt so unwell and this morning I have had diarhhoea :( I googled multivitamins and nausea/sickness last night and it came up. I just wondered if anyone had any problems with this and whether they found one multivitamin better than another in terms of being kinder on the tummy. I bought 180 of the darn things :mad: Of course it may not be that at all and I may just have some sort of temporary virus I suppose but it seems odd as my diet has not changed apart from taking the multivitamin. Anyway, if I can't tolerate them now, how am I going to tolerate them post surgery? :confused: Nightmare! :sigh:

Are you taking them on an empty stomach? Try taking them with your lunch so there is something in your tummy. I took sanatogen for 6 months with no problem but I've recently started forceval and was dry heaving as I didn't have much in my tum, now I take them with lunch and they are much better.

Thanks for that - don't feel like eating today at all and was thinking of not taking my multivitamin! I'm not going to be able to eat much at the beginning post surgery so I wonder how I will cope until I can eat relatively reasonable portions again as I'm guessing my stomach will be pretty much empty for the first three or four months... :9529: But pre-surgery I can try taking with food and see if that helps.

If you're pre op you don't need to take them so that's fine. Post op you must take them as your intake is so low at the beginning. I got some chewable ones from superdrug at the beginning, I know centrium do chewable ones too. Why not get a pot of those for the beginning?

Actually your tummy will be very full post op as we have such a tiny capacity, you could try breaking them in half and taking them with breakfast / lunch?

Thanks - I have bought some chewable ones for early days post op, I forgot! Did you have any problems with those? In terms of nausea/dry heaving etc? My pre-op diet guidelines said to start taking my multivitamin now so that is why I have started early. But I might not take them for a few days and see if it makes me feel better...

No I had no problems at all with those, I think it's because they dissolve before they go down. I had a problem on holiday taking travel sickness tablets first thing, I got terrible nausea! I started having a biscuit first and that stopped it. My theory is my tummy thought food was coming so shot out some acid but as nothing much went down that then made me feel sick. No idea if that's what actually happened though! When is your op? Are you having a sleeve?

Good theory! I have been given a provisional date for April - but don't want to get too excited in case it gets cancelled at the last minute! But was told to start on my multivitamins now... And yes, am having the sleeve. Can't wait :party0011:

It's good to get in the habit of taking them now. Fingers crossed for you, I love my sleeve :)

I had problems early out of the op, made me feel terrible, so I tried lots of different ones and now use a combination of chewable ones and Holland and Barrets a-z which agree better with me.

I had problems early out of the op, made me feel terrible, so I tried lots of different ones and now use a combination of chewable ones and Holland and Barrets a-z which agree better with me.

Thanks - I feel terrible :jelous: I thought multivitamins would make me feel better not worse! Maybe I'll have to palm the Sanatogen off on someone else and stick to chewables...

I found I could not take the forceval post op - they made me feel really nauseous and I brought them back up about 15 minutes after I took them. I tried for a couple of weeks, but then bought some Centrum and have settled fine on those. Not sure what it was about the Forceval. But in the immediate post op period I tried chewable Bassett's multi vits which were fine and also some liquid multi-vits for children which were fine too. Good luck!

Back