• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me, Myself and I

rach1982

Hi, not sure why im writing this but felt it may help me and others.

Me - I am a 31 year old mum of 1 who enjoys life but has hurdles that I've never been able to jump. It all started when I was 14 when I was put on the contraceptive pill due to heavy and painful periods. Slowly weight went on but as I was a growing child doctors were not to worried told me it was puppy fat and the pains were just growing pains. Over the years my weight has gone up and down until the last few years where it has risen and any diet or exercise routine just wouldn't help.

Myself - Where I am now is not a nice place as many of you will also feel, as I have said it all started when I was 14 but other factors have contributed to my weight gain some was from my own failures, giving up and just feeling like I have no hope and will always be this way forever. As an adult I first admitted there was something wrong when my son was born, fairly straight forward birth just a few hiccups but nothing major, everyone was so amazed that I was a size 16-18 before I fell pregnant and although i ballooned into a big bump an being told my baby would be at least 9-10 llbs I came out of hospital the day after wearing size 12 trousers and a 6llb healthy baby. My 1st thoughts were yes I have shifted the weight somehow now I need to keep it off. Keeping the weight off was impossible no matter how I tried llb by llb it crept back on to where I was at my heaviest 15.7 stone. I asked for help and was told I had PND, I was given counselling, tablets and told by the doctor to go home and enjoy my new baby. I did what was advised but in time I realised that im not able to be a mum, my back was so painful due to having big boobs (which I have had all my life, and although everyone says I should be proud of them as there is many a girl who would love my boobs I hate them). So in time I had to leave work on the grounds of ill health couldnt pick my baby up without total pain, sleepless nights which were not due to my baby but pain. I asked for a breast reduction, I was told to loose weight I was put on weight loss medication and it didnt agree with me so was taken off it and put on another medication. It worked the pounds were going 1 by 1 I had my review the doctor was really happy but I was taken off the medication as it had been discontinued due to reports of heart problems in patients who were taking it. At this point my weight went back on, I was then diagnosed with PCOS I was given an investigation operation and told that I needed to have my ovaries removed, when told why i found the possible reason for my weight problem. One of the cysts are on a gland that can affect weight gain/loss, now I though I was getting somewhere thinking having them removed I would be able to start over and try and shift the weight, until the surgeon said he shouldn't have done the op as my BMI was to high so I have to loose weight to have the op. So back at my GP they had another 2 options a 12 week course at slimmers world or weight loss surgery. both seemed a good choice I opted for slimmers world as I thought weight loss surgery was a last resort thing. I was sat down where they took details and told i was eligible for WLS but had to prove i could loose some weight before being referred and the slimmers world I was told my BMI was too high to be referred for the slimmers world group though the doctors. I put all my effort into loosing 7llb as my goal, I managed to get a little exercise routine going with the encouragement of my hubby and son. I was given a challenge by them both called the 30 day squat challenge where you start off doing 20 squats a day and by day 30 you should be ale to do 300. I must say it was hard but it worked and I lost my 7llb and I had the perfect bum and thighs. Going straight back to the GP they were amazed and chuffed for me, only to say I no longer qualify for WLS as my BMI dropped below 40 due to my weight loss. Another set back but not all bad.

I - I am determined, I have succeeded and failed but never stopped hoping that one day someone will hear my cries. Although my BMI dropped below the threshold to 39.75, my GP said she would still refer me explaining my battle with weight gain over my life the medical problems I have faced and my family history. I lost my dad in december last year suddenly, he was fit and healthy ate home made meals grew his own veg made soup out of it yet the cause of death was a shock, ischemic heart disease explained to me by the coroner, it was lifesyle, stress high and blood pressure. I was devastated he was 57 im an adult but a kid who lost her dad. We all have stress at some point in our live, our blood pressure may rise from time to time but we all deserve a life of enjoyment and happiness. My dad was happy, I was happy until now, I needed help and I guess I was heard. Although I havnt been accepted for surgery im on the journey to it I go for my seminar on the 9th of july. Some people say I am looking for an easy way out, it may look like it to some people but they have not walked a day in my shoes and if they had they may see my choices differently. There is more people out there who are worse off than me and I feel for them I really do. I have tried my best, I have asked for help and now I have got some. Its gonna be a long road ahead and not an easy one but I am determined that I am going to be a better person not just for myself but for my son.

Well I think I have rambled enough xx

bakedbean

Hi Rachel

Good luck on your journey you sound so focused. I've just read your start and a colleague asked me what are we having for lunch I responded with a salad! Lol thanks for the inspiration and good luck
Nicky x

NT1977

Hi Rachel,

Firstly welcome to this site, there is an amazing amount of knowledge and support on here, use it and read read read all you can.

I to have PCOS too and know just the struggle you have been going through, it is not easy at the best of times but this makes it even harder. I did not qualify under the NHS for my area (BMI has to be over 50 and or 40 and diabetic) so I paid privately. I am only 4 weeks out but i already know it is the best decision I have made, life is so much more positive now - healthy mind is helping me achieve a healthy body.

Good luck with your journey

Nx