• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Muscle wastage?

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
Has anybody experienced muscle wastage after their weightloss?

I have been really suffering with a bad back. I mean really suffering to the point where I can barely walk or stand at times. Never had it before, it started 2-3 months ago.

And my strength has really deteriorated, I couldn't lift my suitcase for my holiday recently, and I can't carry or bath my daughter.

None of which was ever a problem when I was fatter. Even carrying 7 stone extra didn't give me a bad back.

Everyone I have spoken to says I am losing muscle as well as fat, which is the cause of the problem.

If that was the case surely I wouldn't be the only person to experience it, but I have never heard it mentioned on here.

I take my vitamins everyday.

I am also generally really run down at the moment, got a cold I can't shift, just getting over laryngitis, look so pale people think I am a goth and my hair is coming out at an alarming rate.

Is this the price I have to pay to not be fat?? Does anyone have any tips?

I have joined a pilates class, and I am going to see an osteopath or a chiropractor. The painkillers are making me a bit drunk so I can't keep taking them long term.

Rx

I've noticed I don't have as much physical strength as I once did but then again, my body is getting over major surgery, but not to the extent you describe.

Do you exercise regularly? I've just started going to the gym to build up my muscle tone and fitness. If you do exercise regularly it might be wise to see your GP rather than a chiropractor or an osteopath. He can order blood tests which might show up any deficiencies you might have or illness that can cause what you describe.

Hi Rose, interesting thread.

I've noticed that my strength has decreased a little too, not to a massive extent but I'm definately not as strong as I was before my op. All my bloods are normal, my protein levels are high and the last time I saw my dietician she did a body composition test on me and my muscle/bone/water levels etc were fine and fat levels had decreased.

I know I'm not exercising anywhere near enough *whispers, ahem, or not much at all at the mo...* :rolleyes: and I know this is what I need to do to start building my strength up again. As well as cardio exercises I need to do some weight training or something to get my muscles building.

I guess when we were very overweight everything we physically did was giving our body a workout but now our muscles are not working anywhere near as hard.

Hope your back pain eases for you,
Cuppa xx

Hi Rose, very interesting topic.

I posted in my diary about my gym visit the other day. I was weighed etc and told that my skeletal muscle = 21%of my body weight at the mo. The average for a female is apparently 28% so they have given me some weight bearing exercises to incorporate into my routine.

I dont feel "weaker", but then the thought of carrying around the 7 stone that I have lost for just 5 mins, let alone 24/7 brings me out in a sweat!

This is why protein pays a big part in our diets now. Protein feeds the muscles, if you don't get enough, your muscles will not be able to be sustained.

The bad back might be something different. I think this is more to do with shifts in weight in your body. You, and I and most other people, have been compensating for all this weight with our postures. Now, our bodies are different and so your back and posture is different to what it was and needs to adjust.

As Mixman has already mentioned, protein is the key and is why it's especially important for bypassers to have a protein enriched diet as our food intake is limited.

Doing some sort of resistance exercise such as weights/dumbells etc will help enormously. Doesn't need to be anything heavy, even a 30min session twice a week will help.

I got in a real hole with myself around December time and my hair was coming out in hand fulls. Dont know if it is something that your body is playing catch up with. Now my hair is growing back and appart from every 10 weeks when I get moody for my B12 injection all is well. Muscle wasteage I dont know about. But the advise from the others is good.

Hope your feeling better soon

Jo
xx

Back