• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My 1st Apointment at derby today!

keeley86

Hi, just wanted to let you all know how i got on today at my 1st apointment at derby hospital regarding my bypass. i got there a little early and i was in on time i didnt have to wait long at all before one of the nurses shouted me in - she put me on the scales and took my height to work out my bmi which was 55.8. she then took me in to see a lady called lyndsey (dietitian) and we talked about previous diets and my daily routine with food she said ive got to up my excercise regime as im not doing much at the moment and cut my fat intake down. i sat back in the waiting area and the nurse came back out to me and she said to go get my bloods taken while i waited, after i had done that i was straight in to see the anethatist who just asked me a few questions about my intracranial hypertension and sleep apneo then explained a little about what would happen... i.e saying after the op i wouldnt be able to just lay in bed he would leave me for 4 hours then get me up and about to stop blood clots n that. next it was the consultant surgeon Mr Ahmed he was very nice and explained both the band and bypass to me he said he thaught the bypass would suit me better than the band and that i didnt need to apply for funding as my area is automatic. he did request that i up my excercise like the dietitian did, he wants me to do half an hour walk every day for 2 weeks then and hour a day after that - they are making me an appointment for 3 months when ive got to go back to see how ive got on with the diet, then all being well he will then put me on the waiting list which is currently about 6 months! so call it 9 months which will work out around april next year, ive got to admit i was a little disapointed at that as i feel im sat here waiting to go blind, will the disks behind my eyes be able to withstand this preasure that long?????? but then again they say good things come to those who wait and 9 months isnt that long realli is it just like having a baby - ive got a feeling these are going to be the longest months of my life.
well thats the 1st part of my journey, lol i think im going to go and plonk my fat arse in bed soon coz i am cream crackered! nite all XxXxXxXxXxX;)

Hi Keeley

Glad it went well. All sounds good, I know 9 months sounds like a long wait but it will fly by.

Good luck with the diet and exercise x

Good luck on your journey and i hope it fly's by for you. Put your name down on the cancellation list u never know, good luck xxx

good luck on your journey im sure the time will pass quick

Hi thanks! i hope so guys - i cant wait - started a healthy eating plan today and uped my excercise - lets see how long i can make this one last! x

good luck keeley ....................i have got a wii fit and i love it been doing it every day lately for about 45 mins, the good thing about this is you are in your own home so you noone can see you, and then as well walking every other day and swimming every other day. So my exercise has increase from nothing to this in 8 weeks .All i can say is it gets easier hun x
I have now been waiting since last september for my op and 9 months previous to that for my referral and funding to be agreed ......it does go quickly your be pleased to know.
And just think of the lovely present at the end of it all xxx

Wii fit is great if your under 24 stone as it's great fun and in the privacy of your own home!

Your provider gave you good advice with the exercise, after your surgery it will stand you in good stead to have been a bit more physically fit! Just remember when they say half hour or an hours walking you don't need to do it all in one go! You can break it down. As for the 9 months, stop looking at the calendar for your surgery and concentrate on dates that come between it such as b/days and xmas. It worked for me, before i knew it my date arrived!

Best of luck! x

i know - i keep thinking... its as long as you have to wait for a baby.... i hope it flys by. i was thinking of gettin a wii actually so mite look into one but i am over 24 stone?.... i have allready got a treadmill. i baught it when i was first diagnosed with IH and i stuck to that diet/excersice plan for a month b4 going off track and lost a stone but put about 6 stone on since then. thats what worries me....dieting makes me put the weight back on 10 times faster than what i would if i wasnt dieting so unless i keep this up for the next 9 months im worried ill put even more weight on and dr ahmed wont like that. I am going to do my very very best coz this operation means so much plus i have all you lot too keep me motivated! x

Back