• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My 1st Surgiversary!

Glenville

Well today is November 3rd, which means it is my 1st Surgiversary! Wow, where did that 12 months go?

First the bad news…:cry: I was expecting today to go with a bang, but it all happened a day early. I managed to trip over something at work yesterday while carrying a heavy printer. I went on the floor and the printer landed on top of me. I also managed to hit a couple of things on the way down. I managed to scrape my ankle and my side and because I have less fat covering me now I feel quite bruised and battered. Fortunately, nothing broken except my dignity. Managed to drive home though and took some pain killers and don’t feel quite so bad now but I’m taking the day off sick.

Now the good news…:D I can’t believe the changes in me in the last 12 months. I know I’ve said this before, but it isn’t only the weight-loss, it’s all the other knock-on effects that make life so much more worth living. Since the op I’ve stopped all insulin jabs - >200 units a day, stopped all anti-d meds, stopped all BP meds. I’m still on Metformin, but I’m seeing my diabetes team in a couple of weeks so that may be reviewed then. My blood sugars are good and steady now so they will probably leave things as they are. That doesn’t worry me at all. On top of that I stopped using my CPAP machine for the sleep apnea about 3-4 months post-op.

I saw the CX dietician (Jo) on the 8th October and she was very pleased with my progress. She told me that I have lost more weight than they expected and more than average. She asked if I wanted to lose more and I said I’m not too bothered but it would be nice to get into the 12 stone something bracket. So another 10lbs would be good. I’m lucky to lose 1-2lbs a month now, but who knows what might happen in the next 12 months. Jo went through my average meals and suggested I might even take a bit more carbs than I am at the moment, she has told me that each time I’ve seen her to not forget the complex carbs as they help in moving the weight. I think I (and probably most of us here) concentrate exclusively on getting the proteins in to the exclusion of everything else. A good point to take onboard. She also suggested I up the amount of “oily” fish like sardines, mackerel etc as they have excellent properties especially if you have heart problems and high triglycerides, both of which I have had problems with in the past. Jo also gave me a chart showing high and low GI foods, it is quite interesting comparing similar foods and seeing where they appear. Eg Fruit & Fibre cereal is low GI whereas Branflakes are high GI. One of my bad habits is eating savoury snacks when I get home from work, Jo suggested having a low GI snack of some sort and I will be doing that.

By far the biggest change in my life has been meeting my GF - Sue. We started talking to each other 5 months ago and it was about 5 weeks before we actually met. But even from the start we are on the phone, Skype, emailing and texting all through the day. Sue lives in Tyne and Wear, which is about 300 miles away so we only manage to meet up every 2 weeks. The time together is fantastic, but being wrenched apart at the railway stations is devastating, I’m welling up now just thinking about it. :cry: I was up last weekend and Sue comes down the weekend after next. But a week after that we go to the Lakes as it is Sues (very significant) birthday, and there will be 2 villas full of friends and family. I’m taking the Friday and Monday as holiday and expect to have a whale of a time. It will be the longest we have spent with each other. I’m also going to be spending Christmas in the NE. We have booked a holiday in Egypt in March so I’m looking forward to that too. I’m hoping by that time to have sold/rented my flat in London and moved up permanently. I’m so looking forward to that!

So, although there have been a few hard times over the last 12 months, like stalls when you least need or expect them, and aches and pains brought on by the weight-loss, I wouldn’t have changed a second and would do it all again in the blink of an eye.

I would also like to thank all the friends I’ve made here, I couldn’t have done it so successfully without you all.
:thankyou: xxx

Ahhh, very well done to you John!

Just reading that, I feel excited for you. It's priceless having met someone special since losing your weight and just sounds like you are living a very busy life. Lucky sue and lucky you!

Great to read that your future looks so bright, I remember when i joined wls you where very kind to me John and for that i thank you xx

Blumming heck mr you bought a lump to my throat there x aww where has the last year gone it seems only yesterday we were waiting for our ops. Im so happy for you that your life is going wonderful you so deserve it your a very lovely man x here's to the next year being as amazing as this one x hope the bumps and bruises go very soon x

its true what they say what a difference a year makes. i am so happy for you for evrythign thats happened , what an acheivement with the weight loss too.

you have very good reason to be proud of yourself.

Thanks you so much for sharing John... you deserve all the happiness that you've got & all that you've still got to come!

Thanks for being one of my inspirations. x

Flipping heck where did that year go John?I remember you joining us,now look where your life is!Hope you are not too sore after your fall,bet you felt a right divvy!Soooo glad your personal life has changed for the better,everyone needs someone to love and love us back.Life can be so lonely without that reason to exist.Bet you and Sue have a fab christmas and are looking forward to your future so much more than this time last year.Best wishes to you both.Maz x

What a lovely story ! Apart from your fall that is... I hope you're feeling better very soon ! I am also discovering and loving how this WLS changes our lives in so many different ways ! I'm so happy that you have found someone to share this with and that you and Sue will be together properly soon. Take care John - I do hope we can meet in London again before you disappear "oop north !" :hug99:

What a year eh Honey?

Who would think that your life now could be so different to how it was a year ago.

My year is coming up, I'm thinking about it alot, it's a huge thing isn't it.

Well done on everything you have achieved so far, long may your happiness & success continue.

xxx

Congratulations John - You have had a terrific year in so many ways. You also have so much to look forward to, and Sue sounds like a lovely lady who is lucky to have you.

Best wishes for the future hun x

Take care Love Kat x (no more little accidents please)

What a beautiful post (fall apart - do get well soon!).
John, you're a lovely man, and you deserve all the very good and happy things life still has in store for you.
I wish you nothing but the best for this next year, and for your lovely gf, Sue.
Many happy returns of your surgiversary, dear friend.
And thank you for all the help and encouragement and kindness i have received from you since I joined. You're a prince among men! xxx

ps ooo when you move oop North, we may be able to meet you ooop 'ere! :D

Congratulations John! what a milestone and what a year! I am so pleased to read about all the hug differences in your life!

I met my husband in a similar way to how you met Sue and we conducted a 6 month long distance, weekends only relationship, then I moved down to be with him and we haven't looked back.

Enjoy your break for Sue's birthday and all the weekends in between! xxx

Great year John and so very pleased for you. here's to the next one and all the happiness it will bring

M

John your life has changed so much for the better. I'm so glad your diabetes is doing so well and you are no longer taking all those meds.... But most of all i'm happy you have your Sue now, health is a great thing to have for a whole lifetime, but happiness and love is better and what life is worth living for :)

Happy surgiversary my lovely xx

Oh my goodness John where has the year gone, it seems like yesterday when we were talking you through the actual surgery! A very big well done to you its been a fantastic year for you with a fantastic weight loss, you are a lovely man and you deserve the best. Congratulations and happy surgiversary. Big hugs from me to you x

Wow what a year John and its lovely to hear that you and Sue have found happiness together. All the best for the next installment in your life together! x

Back