• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Marshmallow Barium Swallow

A.Positive

Hello my dears. I have a lot to tell you but for now can I ask if anyone has had the above test done please?

I am set to have this very soon but if the truth be told I am terrified. As you know I can barely eat and the thought of eating something that resembles bread just doesn't bare thinking about.

Do I have to really gulp it down (as with the liquid Barium) in order for the test to work? Does it have the same chalky taste as the liquid Barium? How long is the test?

Hello you!
Never heard of this so all I can do is wish you loads of luck with this x

Hi Apostive
Sorry your still not feeling great.
I had one last year, it taste a lot better then the Barium Meal.
I was laid on my side on the X Ray table and told to take small sips / they might give you a straw.
Then I was told to stand up, take a sip and then drink on there command.
Next came the marshmallow coated in barium, you need to chew this but not to much, and let the Radiographer know when your ready to swallow so he can video or what ever they do.
Hope this helps, and good luck

I am sorry I can be of no help at all, but you can rest assured that people have you in their hearts and are thinking of you constantly, may your ordeal be quick and painless xx lets hope this gives them a good insight to whats happening and how thye can rectify things x

On no. I'm sitting in the hospital waiting to go in for my first fill under barium X-ray :-(. Dreading it. I'm rubbish at getting stuff down

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for thinking of me.

Tassie, how are you doing?

I have been lurking on the boards these last couple of weeks, I just didn't have the strength to tell the rest of my story. Its been a whirlwind and it is not yet over, although it looks like there might be some much awaited light at the end of this very, very long tunnel!

I went for the third PPY gut hormone test which again was not without event. There were a lot of cloak and dagger type shenanigans from my team and by the time I was allowed to leave I could have ran if my body would have let me.

That very evening I vomited my NJ tube out for the third time had to be readmitted on the Monday. At this point my new Surgeon decided that a Diagnostic Laparoscopy was needed. But this was after he marched into my room and was so incredibly rude to me that I had to put him in his place.

Again, more shocking facts were uncovered regarding my care.

Then laparoscopy showed that my Sleeve was covered in a massive amount of adhesions (something they had never seen before) and it was thought that these were causing my stomach to kink and twist and causing all my symptoms. The adhesions were removed (along with my feeding tube that I had been given the day before) and I was told I could go home and would be fine. Well, I was not fine. I still cannot eat and can only keep down thing fluid. Coconut water is the new wine, don't you know.

I have lost 5lb since last Wednesday and I am 8 stone today.

Last week I went to see my surgeon who assured me that my Sleeve was "perfect" and insisted that all I needed was more time.

Nope, I don't think so. Whilst all this was going on, I had been working away to see to see if I could get an urgent referral to see another surgeon who came highly recommended by a lovely lady on this forum. I had an endoscopy at the new hospital yesterday and it appears that the Sleeve is not "perfect" after all. It is kinking and narrowing in two places and he had to force the endoscope through. My oesophagus is eroded and dilated also. I have a Barium Swallow tomorrow and I will see the surgeon again next Wednesday to decide on the best course of action. Although, yesterday he felt that a Bypass was the best way to go. We will see.

Absolutely disgusting, I would be considering putting in a grievance/claim it doesn't make up for how you have been treat but it will soften it a little they should bloomin well get on a do a bypass so that you can start to live again. xx

I updated the wrong thread with this. Silly old me!

Thanks guys, it's been one thing after another lately. I kept the update short and sweet but if I told you everything you'd probably want to drive up to the hospital now and start a riot! Today I had two fits!! It was just so frightening. My body seems to be fading fast. I just want this over with.

I updated the wrong thread with this. Silly old me! Thanks guys, it's been one thing after another lately. I kept the update short and sweet but if I told you everything you'd probably want to drive up to the hospital now and start a riot! Today I had two fits!! It was just so frightening. My body seems to be fading fast. I just want this over with.

Oh gosh I really hope your ok x thinking of you

I am still having funny turns but I feel better than I did. My GP has sent off for tests. More of them! Haa!

Back