• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Barium Swallow!

Jen1961

Is on her way!
I thought I was done and dusted with all the pre op checks, got my date and all excited for the op.

Today I got a letter out of the blue to go for a Barium Swallow. The letter tells me what to expect and it doesn't sound too daunting I guess. Has anyone else had one of these at the last minute? :(

I have had a Barium swallow test and it's absolutely nothing to worry about. Its just a milk-shake type substance that you swallow small amounts of on instruction from doctor, they take an x-ray on each swallow and that's it.

Hope this gets rid of any worries you may have had.

I had a Barium meal ( as it was called :confused:) but this was a few years ago and it was to check for a Hiatius (sp?)Hernia.

I had to drink a 'chalky' type drink that was like taking a really fizzy drink ...i mean REALLY fizzy and i was told not to burp if i could help it.

If it's like the same thing,it's not too bad as you say...but wouldn't like to say if you're having the same kind of thing.

I wish you well and hope your surgery happens as soon as possible.

Take Care

Andy x

Back