• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BARIUM SWALLOW RESULTS

debbieb

just got back from derby,
and as expected the results from the barium swallow show that the join from my stomach to my intestine is too narrow !!!...that is why i am stuck on yogurts and soups , it's almost a relief in a way to know that something is wrong , coz now i know that i wasn't just imagining it all, but ...not looking forward to the solution .....a camera down the throat with a balloon to expand the join !, as anyone else had this ?...does it hurt ?...how long are you in hospital ?....does anyone know the answer to my questions ?...all answers appreciated. x

read Ryanrara's posts about this very subject.

I cant help you hun, but reading past threads a stretch is nothing to worry about hun. good luck xx

Carnt help but just wanted to wish u luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

THANKS,
i think i am more scarred about having an endoscopy than having my bypass !!!!...
i think that the consultant who did by barium swallow saw the look of panic and terror on my face as soon as he said what had to be done ...I AM DREADING THE WHOLE THING...and even writing about it now i am getting butterflies in my stomach !!!!.....so all advice , (or words of comfort , lol) would be GREATFULLY recieved.

Me too Debbie, Thats what I am dreading the most. good-luck with the stretch though x

good luck debs you will be fine its in a well controlled enviroment, they will rlax you before, and hay presto it will be done before you know it i know its easy for me to say. just think you can move on to the differant stages of foods. xxxxx

Debbie,

Ask them to do the procedure under sedation using Midazolam if possible as it has amnesic properties as well as the sedative ones.

I had a barium swallow last month (8 weeks post op) because of continued vomiting if I ate anything of a consistency thicker than soup or yoghurt. Turns out the problem is my hiatus hernia repair isn't optimal and the only thing they're able to do is put me on yet more meds on top of everything that I take anyway.

Good luck for the endoscopy, don't focus too much on the procedure look beyond it to when you have had the stretch and can start moving on with re-introducing foods.

Tatiana

Thank you tatiana. My symptoms are pretty much the same as yours.. And I am stuck on soups and yogurt .. No fun is it !.. I am as of today 10 weeks post op, and I must say some days are better than others , it can get pretty dis heartening eating the same thing day in day out and you do begin to question was it all worth it ! .. When you know deep down yes it is worth it , but at the time there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope things are going ok for you, how long will you have to take medication for ?.
I am just waiting for my surgeon to get back to me about the stretch, coz when I had my barium swallow and said that I need a stretch that if I just had a basic stretch then eventually I would have to have this procedure repeated several times !! ... But there was a number of different types that they could do ranging from fitting a spring to placing a tube into my stomach ! , so it's down to him which he thinks is best I guess. X

Back