• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My daughter; favours to ask! xx

wannabeminime

1. My 16 year old daughter, who is in the first year of A levels, has decided she wants to be a doctor. As well as getting straight A's, she is going to need lots of medical work experience. We have a week lined up with a gp, and some nursing home volunteering, some podiatry work, and a week at Barts over the Summer. Overall she will need about 6 weeks. Is there anyone here who would be able to offer her anything, preferably before the Autumn. I dont mind where in the country it is, i'll put her up in a B and B, or what she does (hopefully different from what she already has), as long as its medical. I know there are a few medical people on here, so i thought i'd ask! I know its cheeky!! xxx

2. She is also doing a 'critical thinking' AS, and wants to do a medical extended project, which will then be useful for her medical school application. She has been very interested in what i have had done, and wants to do something related to the NHS side of bariatrics. She thinks it'll be along the lines of 'Should bariatric surgery be offered on the NHS'. She will need scientific papers etc, and anecdotal evidence. Also peoples opinions. So, if you can help with the scientific evidence, please post the links here for me, but if you're happy for your opinion to go into her project, please can you write about it here!! I'll be most grateful for any help received.:):):)

Thanks in advance! xxx

2. She is also doing a 'critical thinking' AS, and wants to do a medical extended project, which will then be useful for her medical school application. She has been very interested in what i have had done, and wants to do something related to the NHS side of bariatrics. She thinks it'll be along the lines of 'Should bariatric surgery be offered on the NHS'.[/QUOTE]

I can only offer my anecdotal opinion:

1. When I was referred for surgery I was 330 lbs (23 stone 8 lbs) 150 kgs with:

(a) BMI above 50 (in fact nearly 52) and less than 2% chance of being able to lose the weight and reach a BMI lower than 40 through normal dieting

(b) Type 2 diabetes (on Metformin and Glicliazide)
(c) sky high Blood pressure (208 over 105) -- medicated with 20 mg of Lisinopril a day
(d) chronic rhinitis / asthma -- medicated with inhalers and Nasonex
(e) osteo-arthritis -- I had spent 3 months of 2011 on crutches as my knees and hips were not coping with my 23 stone weight and a very very minor injury (that most people would have got up and brushed themselves down from)
(f) mild sleep apnoea -- not medicated, but would have been eventually if I had continued at 23 stone or above

The surgery I chose (sleeve) has enabled me to reach a "mildly obese" weight (15 stone / 210 lbs / 95 kgs) and enabled me to lose 120 lbs (8 stone 8 lbs / 55 Kgs) ...... a weight that I *never* would have been able to lose without surgery.

The surgery was offered to me on the NHS precisely for the health benefits, not for aesthetically pleasing purposes to turn me into a "super slim size 12" or anything.

The health benefits that I have gained (and the NHS has gained) are:

1. no longer diabetic -- no meds (saving £40,000 over the next 40 years)

2. normal blood pressure -- no meds (again saving approx £40,000 over the next 40 years)

3. no longer take meds for asthma (can't remember the cost, but again saving a few thousand)

4. no longer on the list for hip and knee replacements (saving £10K per each knee and £10K per right hip = at least £30,000 saved)

5. I am no longer off sick from work 30 days per year with recurrent chest infections (which with my combined asthma and diabetes I was always too ill to fight previously).

I am gloriously healthy and have fought off every infection since, and had hardly any sickness -- saving my employers / the taxman (Statutory Sick Pay) / the NHS bundles of money in all the sick days I used to take (and lots of prescriptions for anti-biotics followed always by steroid treatments as my body was never strong enough to fight infections with just anti-biotics -- I always used to end up on steroids).

Therefore in *my* case (of course !!!) I would say that the huge economic savings the NHS and taxpayer has gained by my improved health and lack of sickness and ability to walk normally and not clog up my doctor's waiting room every few months with yet another infection or yet another obesity related illness completely justifies the £10,000 spent at the Whittington on my sleeve operation.

Last edited:
Am also attaching a post I made in March 2012 when I was pre-op about my most excellent GP, Dr John Demades, of Muswell Hill who had originally referred me:

http://www.wlsurgery.com/chit-chat/144767-43-days.html

I have googled Dr Demades recently just to check he is still working in the same place (as I intend to go back and thank him) ...... and whilst I happened to be googling him, I came across a few other patient reviews which said what a totally excellent doctor he was, and totally above and beyond the call of what most normal humdrum GPs are.

I would be happy to write to Dr Demades for you, Becky, either (a) to gain his medical opinion on the benefits of bariatric surgery on the NHS (obviously given what he said to me at referral you can tell he is 100% in support) ..... or (b) to enquire about work experience for your daughter (altho Muswell Hill is a rather expensive place to stay, even temporarily in a B&B !!).

Let me know if you want Dr Demades' details, or for me to contact him direct ..... perhaps it is about time for me to tell him that the poorly, ill, sick, fat person he took pity on in January 2011 and referred for surgery has got a new life (!!!) ...... even if it is a 15 stone life ...... and not quite the 11 stone / BMI of 25 life some might think is the "perfect result" from bariatric surgery.

I can give your daughter the exact opposite to sharonimo post and experiance to the surgery if you think it would help in her displaying all angles of the surgery cause and effect, pm me your e-mail addresse if you think it will help? xxx

Back