• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my journey so far

Fizzypeach

Well today I am 1 week post op. The operation itself apparently was uneventful according to the surgeon but I read the notes and he discovered I had an umbilical hernia which he chose ignore. He gave me a long limb bypass with a 20 ml pouch.

I walked to theatre which I understand is the norm and climbed onto the operating table. There were several people around me accessing veins, putting on inflatable boots, sticky electrode pads for monitoring which was all pretty okay accept for the trainee anesthetist trying several times to find my artery in my arm which was rather uncomfortable to say the least. But the proper anaethetist took over when he saw what was happening and I didn't even fee a thing when he did it.

The next thing I knew I was being told to keep my eyes open as long as I could and 5 secs later I was off with the fairies. Then I was back on the ward and my daughter and husband were there. I don't remember the recovery room and the tube coming out of my nose or even the conversation I apparently had with the surgeon when I arrived on the ward which was witnessed fortunately by my patient neighbour who later told me that Mr John the surgeon had been up to see me and I apparently discussed the operation with him...weird!!

After 12 hours on restricted fluids I was on free fluids for 24 hours and then straight onto purees. I had my operation laproscopically and could have gone home after 2 days but chose to stay an extra day to see how I got on with the purees.

So now I am home. 7 days later, on my purees but really struggling with the fluids. I know I must drink more but find it impossible to even drink a couple of pints at the moment.

A couple of days ago I must have eaten too much for dinner (1/3 ramekin) and I felt very uncomfortable. I thought if I had a drink of water it might flush it through but needless to say it didn't go down it came up! Still it is a lessen learnt and I think it is a steep learning curve for me. I thought I had researched every possible problem before hand but sometimes you just need to experience things first hand to learn I guess.

Today I took the dressings off my incisions and they were all fine, although still tender. I can't resist getting on the scales every day and seeing what is happening. I really must start getting on just once a week....but how do you resist it I don't know.

Anyway that is my journey thus far...so far so good

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, it is really helpful for us pre - opers.

Glad you are coming on fine, keep us updated.:)

Fizzypeach, you sound as though you are coming along marvellously. So lovely to hear the start of this very exciting period in your life!

I'll look forward to seeing a lot less of you (lbs i mean) and wish you well xxx

Sounds like you are making a good recovery. Take it easy and keep us updated...xxx

Fantastic news on the recovery!
I weighed myself in hospital -couldnt resist as i kept walking past the scales everytime i went to the loo!
I continue to weigh myself once a day since I bought my new scales. althoguh I am not obsessing over it.
I have lost 12lb since my op two weeks ago so I am very happy with that x
Shells

well done x

Back