• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric Bypass journey so far...

Andrea73

Well I arrived at the Spire Manchester on Saturday 17 October at 10am. I waited all day, not nervous at all just dying to get started. Anyway it was after 4pm before the nurse came to collect me to go to theatre. I was given the anasthetic and from then on its a blur, don't even remember the recovery room.

My family came to visit on the Saturday night but to be honest didn't really notice that they were there. I was on a drip so not to dehydrate, an oxygen mask and also morphine. I had this on the whole of Saturday night. I didn't really feel any pain, more of a discomfort from all the trapped wind. Needed to press the buzzer for the nurse at least 6 times during the night though for the bed pan!!

I got out of the hospital on Sunday afternoon after seeing Mr Ammori. All was well with me so I was fine to travel but I did have to eat my lunch first which was delicious chicken stock, peppermint tea and some ice-cream. YUM.

I travelled home and again just uncomfortable with the wind. I've kept mobile so that it can pass.... poor family when it does. LOL. Early night last night and felt better this morning though keep taking the painkillers.

I'm now day 2 post op and its been fine. Have struggled drinking or eating much so just doing what I can as afterall only had the op on Saturday. I even went to Asda to get some stuff in for myself.

Anyway that is my story so far and it definitely hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. If anyone has any questions feel free to get in touch.

Here is to losing.....

Andrea x

Andrea, welcome to the losing side. You must be so thrilled.

wow hun well done and i hope all goes ok for you ,hope you write here often as im about to start my journy but i dont go till dec for my firsts appointment .looking forward to following you along your journey hunny so good luck and hope it goes smoothly for you here on in . pop back soon hugs .x:)

Congratulations and well done you - see.... all you peeps that are scared - Andrea had her op on Saturday and she is well enough to be emailing! I would say she is the rule rather than the exception.

well done xxx

So excited for you ... good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please post your progress.... :)

Thanks all for your positive replies. I can't believe how easy it has been so far. I'm sure there will be plenty of struggles along the way but I'm taking it each day as it comes.

I've just been out a walk with the dog, made a pot of soup and am now cooking the dinner. I really feel that well. Roll on the stones coming off........

Good luck to all that still has to go through the procedure. Be positive and all will be well.

Andrea
xx

Andrea i'm delighted you are doing so well, but don't overdo it hun:eek:ASDA and dog walking already!!!OMG take care:eek:

Hey Andrea,
Welcome to the losing side!!
Speedy recovery and here's hoping that you continue to feel well for the rest of your weight loss journey

Hi Andrea, hope you continue to have a speedy recovery - don't push yourself too hard though, yr bod is still recovering from a big op. x

Andrea, are you SURE they did it? Not just pretending. LOL

Anyway, I wish you every success on your journey, I'll be joining you soon.

Amazing, did you do much preparation before your operation?

As in exercising/diets etc? xx

I am glad that everything went alright. I look forward to hearing your story as it evolves.

Rebirth

Yeah Julie - did the milk diet for 5 days pre-op but that is all. I've recently bought a dog so been out walking everyday must have helped as well.

It is now exactly one week since I have had the op. I think I am managing ok although my emotions have been a bit up and down. Somedays feel really fed up but think that is the lack of food and the onset of a period! Pretty weird cos I wasn't due one. The wind has mostly gone and I just occasionally get a wee bit tired.

My daily diet is mainly:
Breakfast - yoghurt or shake with some tea or peppermint tea
Lunch - soup
Dinner - maybe some soup or shake again

Throughout the day I will try and drink as much milk, water or even an actimel. I hope this is enough but I know that I can drink more now than earlier on in the week.

I was wondering if I was supposed to get a prescription from the doctor for anything or do I just buy my own vitamins. I read somewhere that some people get iron from their GP.

I think I'll take the sticky plaster things off my holes but leave the steri-strips on till they fall off themselves. Hopefully that is the right thing to do as I don't have an official appointment with the nurse as its too far to travel. I think the sticky things are irritating me as well so would be glad to get rid.

Can't wait till next week and then I can introduce pureed food into the diet.

I'm back at work on Thursday for a 12 hour shift so I am hoping that I can manage this. When I've been out walking the dog I do feel myself getting tired. Nobody at work knows I've had the op done and I'm not sure whether to tell them. What do you think?

My dad has decided that Christmas dinner will be at his house this year as he doesn't want me cooking the dinner and picking and then not able to sit down and enjoy the food on the plate. Well I thought that was a step forward, he must be starting to understand exactly what I've had done.

Anyway I'm off just now as I feel I should try and have something to eat.

Will post again soon with any updates on my progress.

Oh forgot to mention that I lost 5 lbs on the pre-op diet and 9lbs since the op so in total thats one stone. How fab is that. I can even get in to some of my old jeans. Roll on the next stone.

Good luck all with their own journies.

xx

Well I can't believe it but I am now 2 weeks post op. Oh how time flies. I have now lost 21lb, I am now down to 14st 13lbs. WOOO HOO.

I am now going to start introducing pureed food to my diet. I tried last night having some weight watchers shepherds pie pureed but to be honest my stomach just wasn't right after it. Think I need to do one food group at a time. The only thing I noticed recently is that I have been feel hungry and when I was eating last night I actually didn't feel full. Is that normal? Is that because I didn't eat the right foods? Hopefully someone can come along and help out here. Another thing I was wondering does anyone have meal ideas for the next 2 weeks for me.

The good thing about losing weight is that I am already getting into jeans that I have not worn for ages which is fab. My husband has also said that my snoring doesn't seem as bad - oh what a flatterer he is! LOL.

I went back to work on Thursday for the first time since the op and it was great to put on my uniform and find that it was quite baggy although no one commented. BOO. They will soon though I'm sure. I felt fine working the 12.5 hour shift, wasn't anymore knackered that usual, I think thats because I have been keeping so mobile since having the op thats helped.

Anyway I'm off now to have some brekkie, just wanted to update on my progress and my weight loss.

Well done on your weightloss Andrea in just 2 weeks too, its great isnt it. Take it easy at work and go gentle, your body is still healing.

Cant help you re feeling full as I am only just under 2 weeks post op myself and havent felt hunger yet. Hope someone else can help you.

Xx

Back