• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My journey to my sleeve op

ceejay

Hi all. :wavey:
I thought I'd share my experience so far....
I've been overweight all of my life, never been in the 'normal' range and so decided to do something about it. I was offered weightloss surgery back in 2009, attended the seminar and went through the necessary motions to get on the list for Gastric Bypass. While I was waiting, I started a different diet, not so strict with myself, back in June 2011. I managed to lose just under 5st by Christmas (21st to 16st 4lb).:bliss:
I received a phone call offering me a cancellation on January 3rd, but since I'd done so well on my own, mixed with sheer panic, I turned it down. I explained my loss to date and was offered a consultation in clinic to discuss my options. I wasn't allowed to remain on the waiting list but could stay under the consultant for a short time to see if I could lose more, or at least maintain. I had an appointment in March where I weighed in around 16st 6lb. I hadn't lost anymore weight (gained 2lb) and had really struggled since Christmas. Since I'd done so well, the consultant gave me the choice of what to do next and when! :D With his advice, I chose to have the sleeve gastrectomy and preferably in the summer hols. From March to end of June, I yo-yoed with around a stone, and when I got my call from the blue with a cancellation I panicced, but knew this was my time. My pre-op showed I'd gained 10lbs since my March appointment and the nurse had to ring Mr. Small to ask if he'd still do my op. :eek: He said that since I was still under my starting weight by quite a bit, he'd still do it. :D
Anyway, I received the call on Monday, started pre-op diet Tuesday, had pre-op assessment on Thursday, was admitted Friday and had my sleeve op on Saturday 7th July - very quick!

Well done on losing 5 stone during 2011 and getting your sleeve. :)

Good luck with your continued losing with your new skinny sleeved stomach !!

Hi ceejay how are you doing? Well done on the weight loss.Keep us all postes on your progress I am positive that having a sleeve will help you achieve getting to your goal good luck on your journey!

Just thought I'd let you know how it went for me...
I was admitted on Friday afternoon and met the anaesthetist and a member of the surgeons team, they just went through the usual stuff and I signed my consent form. That was it - I sat about from 3p.m, had tea at 5 which was 2 pieces of fruit and a yoghurt (apparently this is the same for everyone at SRH, regardless of which pre-op diet you've done).
Saturday morning I met Mr. Small who went through the same stuff as before. He was happy with me as I have no illnesses at all and I'm quite fit and healthy, apart from the weight. He asked a few times if I was sure I wanted to go through with it. After the fourth time, I asked if he was sure I should have it, and he told me he wanted to let me know it was my choice.
Anyway, I sat about all of Saturday morning just waiting (could have been at home really) until they came for me at 1.30. I was ready in my gown and sexy stockings (not...) and was wheeled to theatre on my own bed. I watched a bit of the Grand Prix in the recovery area while I waited a round 10mins for my turn. The staff on duty were really good and talked me through my fears, and Mr. Small came to see me again, just for a little chat he said... we talked about my children and if I was looking forward to wearing a lbd or bikini more! I then went through to the anaesthetic room, where I got a mask full of some lovely sweet gas, and off to sleep I went. Next thing I knew, I was back in recovery with awful chest pain and trying to sit myself up. The same nurse as earlier helped me sit up to try and relieve the pain - trapped wind. She told me all had gone well and I would soon be back on the ward. I drifted off again and awoke on the ward. I was back there by 3.35 - just over 2hrs later! I drifted in and out of sleep. My hubby visited at 6 and I managed to stay wake some of his visit. Later in the evening, I developed a terrible pain in my left shoulder - more trapped wind, and as I tried a little water, I was sick. Didn't get much sleep at all during the night, and vomitted around 4 times. The staff nurse told me she thought it was from the anaestheitic, as I'd had enough to cover a longer op, but it had been a lot quicker than they thought...
The next day, I took myself for a shower as soon as they disconnected my drip. I was very tender, but managed and felt better for it. My problem was that I wasn't drinking enough water, as I was still a bit sicky so asked for the drip to be reconnected to ease it. They did and it made all the difference. By the Monday, the sickness had gone but I was still tender on my left side. I started my pureed diet and managed the smallest amount of foods (think a bit of this was fear!) but I managed to go down to the cafe with my hubby and have a small drink.
Tuesday, I came home!

Hi ceejay glad to hear all went well with you. So chuffed for you! Won't be Long before you will be looking so much slimmer! Think what fun you'll Have in the jan sales all thoose lovely clothes to amazing in! Keep us posted on your progresa. Good luck.

Glad to hear it went well ceejay! Welcome to the sleevers club! :)

I'm 9 weeks out now and it's the best thing I've done!!

Thanks for sharing it really helps us waiting to know what is ahead.

Good luck hope you are feeling better

Thanks for sharing it really helps us waiting to know what is ahead.

Good luck hope you are feeling better

I'm feeling absolutely champion! Just had Spanish chicken for tea, and it was delicious. Only had about half a child's portion and am stuffed!
Loving my sleeve.
Thanks

Back