• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here and having my surgery in just over a week!

PatsyCollyer

Eeep!

I asked my GP if I could be considered for WLS about 4 or 5 months ago and was referred to Mr El-Hasani who said he'd be happy to perform a gastric bypass on me.

Anyway, the hospital I was under is one of the London NHS hospitals that are going into administration and I assumed my op would probably be cancelled (I'd already been told there was a 2-year waiting list for the surgery).

However.... I had a call on Tuesday asking if I'd be happy to be seen at the Chelsfield (with the NHS funding my op) sometime in October and I jumped at the chance, even though I hadn't anticipated hearing anything for about another 18 months.

Then, last night at around 9pm I had a call from a lovely lady called Sheila who told me I could go in for my surgery either on 8th September or 9th September... I opted for the Sunday, 9th September as my other half has plans for the Saturday. I was then told to start my pre-op diet today and wait to hear about going in for pre-op tests next week...

So... It's all a big rush (probably for the best as I can't really worry about it for too long!) but I'm a little anxious about the pain side of things after this surgery... I'm allergic to morphine, codeine, tramadol, etc., and the only pain relief I can take are NSAIDs or paracetemol... Is the pain REALLY bad?!

Soothing words and virtual hair stroking would be appreciated as I'm a little anxious! (Paranoid I'll either die under the anaesthetic or be awake during the procedure!) Apologies if this is garbled - I'm still a little shocked by how quickly I'm being seen...

I don't know if it's relevant but I'm 5' 11" and my current BMI is 52, so I'm a very big woman!

Back