• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my letter to PCT

helen144

Especially for Gingernutter, but obviously may help other people, this is the letter i wrote to my GP asking him to apply to the PCT for funding for WLS.

Dear DR *********

I am writing to ask whether you would support my application to apply for weight loss surgery on the NHS, I am well aware that you would need to applt to Tameside and Glossop PCT for this.
I have researched Weight Loss Surgery(WLS) extensively on the internet and I have read the NICE guidelines for morbid obesity and I fullfil the criteria to be able to have this performed on the NHS.
My current weight is 19stone 9lbs (274lbs) height is 5' 6" giving me a BMI of 44.1 (Morbidly Obese)

As you are aware I am a Registered Nurse and a Practising Midwife and I have not taken this decision lightly, I am well aware of the need for adequete nutrition and I am also aware of the need for adequete food portions, I have extreme difficulty in maintaining both of these issues for any length of time, even with the support of qualified individuals and support groups.
I feel that WLS would give me the tool to be able to lose weight and therefore achive a healthier life both physically and mentally.

last time i wrote this on i think i was timed out so i m going to put this in 3 parts the rest to follow below.

helenx

letter continued.......

Diet Attempts

Lighter Life I attended Lighter Life a couple of years ago, this diet works with very low calorie food packs 9food abstinence) and weekly group sessions by qualified councillors that use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Transactional Analysis to aid in changing your perception about food. (I maintained this diet for 2 weeks, had great difficulty with food abstinence)

Weight Watchers - I have attended weight watchers on and off since I was about 14 years old, My last attempt was January last year and I subsequently lost 48lbs of which I have now put on over 1 1/2 stone. Weight Watchers focuses on 4 areas including Behaviour, Support, Exercise and Food, this is performed by weekly meetings which were informative and supportive.

Slimming World - Follows a food optimising diet where you have either high protein and low carbohydares of high carbohydrates and low protein diet (not mixing the days together) again this is supported by trained individuals and offers group support and image therapy focusing on individual motivation and group experience. I have joined this several times and have never managed longer than approximately 1 month.

Atkins Diet - Followed independantly using a book, very low carbohydrate diet with high protein only managed to stick to this diet for a couple of weeks.

Cambridge Diet - Food abstinence, with food packs, individual weekly meetings giving support and adice, again tried several times and unsuccessful

I have also been on weight loss medication in the past (Orlistat) tried this for a month or 2 gave me abdominal pain and therefore discontinued its usage and weight loss was not successful.
I also asked Dr ******** in June this year whether I could go on any new weight loss medication and I am unable too due to them being contraindicated with the antidepressents that I take.

Rest to follow underneath

I have also have/had several co morbidities relating to my weight which are listed below

(here i listed them but for obvious reasons i am not writing them on here some are personal)

Depression on and off for years, major factor in this depression is my weight resulting in low self esteem and confidence, depression also caused by frequent failed attempts at dieting.

I feel that my next step is WLS and I hope you will support me through this, I feel that I have come to the end of the road with conventional methods of weight loss and that this is the best move forward and will result in achievement of a healthy BMI and a healthier lifestyle, although I am well aware that this is a life changing decision that will require compliance and determination.

Yours Sincerley

helen

I hope this helps someonexxxxx

You go girl! You are a complete Superwoman!!!!

Rock n roll gf! This is a very helpful posting, worthy of a moderator sticky! :hug99:

Hi Helen, thank you very much for that post. I love the way you have broken down your weight loss attempts. i will add that to my letter. Thank you for taking the time. I am sure many people will be aided by your post. It is so hard to know what to write. I know when I asked directly I was turned down it wasn't untill I wrote to my doc that i was referred to the hospital. I have been there and now I need to write again to the doc also to the PCT this week. Your letter has given me lots of ideas. I will let you know how I get on.

Hiya Helen
It is a brilliant letter, thank you for taking the time to post it and share it with everyone- i am sure it will help others who are going through the battle of funding, and give them ideas of what to say when they write a letter. :)
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Thank you very much for putting your letter on for us. it will help many people, i know that i shall copy a lot of it if i need to send one. bridie x :D

Back