• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just starting on my appeal letter to the PCT

Pookiedoodle

Totally in love with Mika
Hi everyone.
This is so much harder than I ever anticipated.
After receiving my letter from the PCT turning me down for funding I have been an emotional wreck!
I'm crying all the bloody time, I know you all appreciate how tough this is, & I'm so glad I've got you all on my side.
Yesterday it was my Birthday (probably the worst I have ever had, but that's another story)
I really am feeling sorry for myself aren't I!
This PCT letter has really affected me, I just can't seem to get my act together. I'm such a strong person emotionally, & this is so unlike me.
So.....I've got to get this appeal letter done. I'm trying to be factual, but I'm so angry that they just sent this letter, no reason why they turned me down, they just told me to attend weight management classes.
Argh!!!!!!!
I think I just needed a rant.
On a more positive note, I got my 2 favourite Doris Day films from my husband for my Birthday, he's so lovely.
xx

Hi Emma sorry to hear your news. What grounds did they turn you down on? This is important as it will help you to gather relevant info and write the appeal accordingly. Chin up chick I was refused first time around and I am now over a week post op.....all is not lost...xx

P/s happy birthday for yesterday....xx

Hi Charliegirl
They gave no reason why they turned me down.
I am trying to do this appeal latter & finding it so hard to put my emotions into words.
I just wish they could see me as a person, & realise what this does to you emotionally.

Hi Emma
Im so sorry they turned you down, 2 people from work recieved funding from the PCT for gastric bypasses both were turned down initially they then got in touch with PALS at the hospital and they then helped fight the case for them, and they both then recieved funding, keep strong this will happen for you im sure, just a little bit later than anticipated, How long did it take them to come to this decision?
Perhaps before writing your appeal letter ask them to put in writing why they turned you down and why they suggested weight management programme, as Charlie girl says that then gives you fuel for anumition.
Keep your chin, good luck and keep us posted
love
Helen
xxxx

Hi, it's Northamptonshire PCT.
What's pals Helen?
xx

First of all you need to stay calm. When they turned me down I cried for the day then started fighting again the next day. Look on the bright side of this if you do attend the weight managment and the consultant sees that you have tried everything you can to lose weight and it is not working he can refer you for surgery this is what happened to me. The criteria for my PCT was a BMI of 35 which is what I was when I saw the consultant. He first said he wanted me to try reductil and 300 cals a day diet and I discussed with him why I did not think this would work within minutes he said he agree surgery was the best way forward and referred me to the surgeon. All is not lost, the PCT regularly turn people down its like when folk make an insurance claim they dont want to part with the money. You wont be able to think straight today, have a lazy mopey day and recharge your batteries. I know how you feel as I have been there and fought every single step of the way, but its no good trying to think of your appeal when your emotional it wont help chick....xx

Oh and forgot to say if it turns out you need to attend weight management if after a couple of months its not making a difference they will then refer you for surgery.....its just a way of making you jump through hoops...xx

Thanks so much for your reply.
I didn't get the letter today charlie, I got it last week - yep, I've been crying for days!!!
I'm getting there with my letter, it's just such hard going. I'm gonna email it to Shel, who has really kindly offered to take a look at it for me.
Any tips or advice for the appeal letter really would be hugely appreciated.

Patient advice and liason service , they are based at the local hospitals, try lookin on the pct web site that you have applied for funding through, they should have telephone number on there, they are really good i work as a midwife in the NHS and they help lots of patients. I rang PALS first for advice they told me to go to my GP etc and if was to come across any problems thats when they will step in and help.
Hopes this helps
Helen
xxxx

Thanks so much Helen, that's a huge help.
I'll look into that right away
xx

Right, I have the number of my local PALS team.
So do I phone them and explain my situation?
What can they do to help?
Thanks so much for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.
xx

Good luck to you too Helen.
Thanks so much you've been a star.
Speak soon
xx

:hug99: Em sorry to hear you've been feeling so low, you should have said something! Going through all that miserable-ness alone is not healthy or fun, that's what we're all here for :)

Give PALS a call, and explain everything to them. I put a sample letter on your other thread for finding out why the PCT refused you, that might be a good starting point.

Will be on MSN most of the evening (I have no life lol) if you want to chat :hug99:

Back