• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Ramblings...

I feel as though I am Jemima. I really hope that after Wednesday I can start to relax, knowing that we have a path to follow. I feel as though my Sleeve is cursed, like it isn't fit for purpose. Does that makes sense?

I just want to get rid of it.

So anyway...

I was just doing a bit of totting up and I have lost 147lbs which is a whopping 10.5 stone!! Jeepers!!

I still do not regret my decision to have WLS. Onwards and upwards gang!!

That is staggering. That is more than I weigh now at target AFTER my bypass. An entire size 10/12 5' 3" 51 year old woman. Think of that NSV. I know it has not been always easy for you (to say the least!) but your spirit has always been determined - you have achieved so much. Inspiring xxxxx

I have seen my new consultant and I like him. Marcus Reddy is plain speaking but kind. He showed me my Barium Swallow images and then showed me that of a normal Sleeve. Lets just say my Sleeve is a mess (even I, as a layperson could see that). He says he could try to dilate it but in his view that is a waste of time; its too twisted and kinked. The only way forward is a Bypass above all the "mess" which doesn't leave me with very much stomach but hey ho.

He says it will not be an easy operation as I have already had two abdominal procedures, he is expecting to see a LOT of adhesions (even though some were removed during the diagnostic laparoscopy) and this will make it complicated and long. That being said, he says he has performed a lot of complicated surgeries (one just yesterday on a patient with a BMI of 89) and is not phased by it. He will do what it takes to get the job done and make me better

He will present my case to the MDT (they meet every Wednesday) but doesn't think there will be an issue. I need to see the dietician urgently so we can get my bloods done to check my nutritional levels. If they are too low, then I will need the NJ tube inserted until the operation. If my nutritional levels are low, I will not heal properly after surgery-more problems.

Feeling a bit dizzy, I decided to have a weak hot chocolate on the way home and ended up vomiting in the street. Nice!! But in all honesty not even that ruined my mood. I feel like I can breath for the first time in weeks. I still cannot believe that my last team said my Sleeve was "perfect". I am gob-smacked. What on earth were they looking at?

Today's weight 7 stone 11 lbs.

I wanted to thank you all again for your kind words and support. It really means a lot to me.

What a relief to finally have a plan and a consultant who is to the point and proactive. I am thrilled for you and hope that they will turn you around quickly and without the need of a feeding tube.
What are you going to try and eat this afternoon? Sorry the hot chocolate didn't agree with you, at least it wouldn't have tasted too bad coming back up!

X

Thank you matey! How are you feeling?

I think I will just go back to my Coconut Water. I just can't bare food anymore my oesophagus is so ulcerated from all the vomited and reflux that its agony as it passes down and then as it comes back up. And then the chronic nausea after all that is horrendous!!

Yay :D Told 'ya he was fab :D. Looks like you are going to be properly fixed this time, and about time, your other team sound quite incompetent.

Phone up and ask for Scott as our dietician, he's also fab :D. I have never managed to beat him at a last word competition, so he must be good ;)

He "wrote" an email on his Dictaphone while I was with him, it was going to Scott!!

Hi there A positive, I have just been reading you thread what a journey. Can ask you what was the cause of the adhesive in your stomach? What it the result of the sleeve?
Just interested as I had lots of surgery in the past which have left me totally scared. The hospital has recommend a Bypass which I'm not to keen on because of the high risks of malnutrition.

That's great news Apositive. At long some progress for you.

Hey Angie. Did you have lots of abdominal surgery? From what I gather, this is one cause of adhesions. If your team are happy to go ahead though, I wouldn't worry. I know that some people can live their entire lives without their adhesion causing them any issues at all.

I had many but I its seems mine were not the cause of my woes. Mr Reddy did say that sometimes this kind of thing just happens with Sleeves, there is no way to figure out why. I too was worried about the Bypass and turned it down when I started my journey, now I almost wish I had just done that in the first place. I am malnourished now and underweight! Ha!

Go with your gut my love, ask lots of questions and read the diaries of the folks on here. So many of the Bypassed ladies and gents are living full and happy lives. I

Thanks Apositive for responding. I did want a sleeve, I have had major surgical operations in the past on abdominal and womb which had caused several miscarriages. I can understand why the surgeon has suggested a Bypass also I equally aware it's a much easier operation to perform. I will be meeting my surgeon next week and will use this opportunity to quiz him big time. The problem with the Sleeve and the Bypass we don't know of the long term effects the surgery has on the body. The lack of vitamins and malnutrition will have an impact on the bones especially in old age. So I'm researching mad before making my decision. Anyway good luck and thanks for sharing, your experience is given me an insight.

Apositive - I am so glad you are now under Mr R's care. He is a member of my team - and I don't think you could be in better hands. I had Mr Fiennes. You take care, and I truly hope before long your troubles will be behind you, and you are enjoying a normal bypassed life without all the problems the sleeve has given you. You have been remarkable in your strength, when many I suspect would have crumbled. This will stand you in good stead for all that lies ahead - which under Mr R will (hopefully) give you the very positive result you so deserve. Fingers crossed for you xxxx

Good luck!! I hope they will finally sort your problems out. :) you really have been through enough!

So pleased you are going toget the bypass the sooner the better lets hope that all your levels are fine. So can get the go ahead straight away xx

Back