• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Ramblings...

Thank you Trish, that means a lot.

Stacey, how are you doing strength wise? Are you in any pain? Thankfully you don't have to wait too long to get it sorted. I too hope that this is the end of it for you.

The gut hormone test was done on Wednesday and was very dramatic indeed. I felt like I was in an episode of Holby City!! Ha! I was telephoned the day before and told where to go and at what time. I was there in plenty of time and in the correct place, only to find that no one knew who I was! I was sent elsewhere and asked to sit and wait until the managed to sort things out. An hour of BBC morning television is enough to drive anyone to violently dismantle a television!!

Once they had located the boffin's that would be dealing with me, I was taken up to the ward which turned in to another drawn out ordeal. After months of blood tests, cannula's and various procedures my poor veins have had it. They are black and painful and it was impossible to find one that could be used to draw blood. Even the veins in my feet have had their fair share of prodding! After 2 hours, much pain, a collection of doctors trying their hardest, blood everywhere and a lot of yelps, sharp intakes of breath and "Oh Gods"! The team itched their heads and decided to have a meeting about what to do next. I decided to plug in my headphones and watch a documentary about the Romanov Dynasty. It was either that or listen to the very loud lady opposite me; she was calling her entire family to tell them about her brutal catheter insertion and subsequent removal. And then there was a story about her son-in-law who had a bath tub full of meat that he couldn't get rid of.

When the team reappeared, they presented me with two scenarios. I was either to be sent home and then admitted at a later date so they could take me down to theatre and do something fancy to get at a vein much deeper in one of my arms. Or they would carry out the test another way; it would be long winded but reduce the inconvenience to myself. However, this option was not as likely to work as the first. Ugh! "Let's go with the second option", I said. "Nothing ventured nothing gained"!

All hail the second option!! It did work (eventually and made me horrendously sick) but I am hoping that they will be able to garner some useful information with the samples they were able to get. Results back on Monday!!

Question of the day: Why is it that you always meet dashing doctors when you are vomiting, malnourished, wearing no make up and have a feeding tube inserted? Pfft!

Last edited:
OMG that sounds horrendous, total human pin cushion going on! So glad they sorted it in the end and managed to get what they needed for tests and you'll have your answers soon.

I laughed at the bath of meat, how strange! Maybe he needed to have a BBQ!

I'm ok, energy has dramatically improved since I started taking feroglobin capsules 2 weeks ago, I'm almost bouncing off the walls. No pain, although the vomiting started up again on Friday afternoon after a week off which is a pain. I'm off to Mallorca on Wednesday with my sister and some girlfriends so that will be great then back for endoscopy followed by best friend's wedding, it's s busy few weeks.

When I was in hospital earlier this week with the zombie looking allergic reaction I had a tall dark and handsome Italian nurse and it was so embarrassing, I feel your pain!

The Feroglobin tablets sound like magic! My husband bought me the syrup but I couldn't tolerate it; I didn't know they did tablets. I hope you have a wonderful time in Spain. xx

Well, the test results are back and....

They are inconclusive yet again! My saliva samples shows that the PYY hormone is higher than normal but the blood samples really needed to be taken throughout the test instead of once at its beginning and end which was the only option as my veins are shot through. As a result, they didn't give any usable data. I will be admitted and have the test performed as it should be. But before that can be done, I will be taken to theatre so they can find a find a vein deeper in my arm. All fun and games!

They also want to have another look at my stomach- Is it twisted? Is it not? Each Endoscopy shows something new. They are unsure of the best way to go about getting the clearest images. MRI scan, Barium Swallow (useless), another Endoscopy, or perhaps some kind of Laparoscopic procedure where they can view my Sleeve from the outside. They don't really want to give me another general anaesthetic, I have had quite a few lately. They would like to know why it twists and if there is a way to stop it from happening.

I am struggling today, I really had banked on getting some definitive answers and being able to take a step forward. I suppose I should have braced myself for such an outcome? I have been teaching myself for months and months to have less expectations; I find expectations have a tendency to spoil things. By simply going blindly into a situation we can allow it to just "be" and not let it affect our emotional well-being. I was making excellent progress but I have found that in regards to my health (because of my children), I am always hoping for the absolute best outcome, in the shortest time possible. Anything let than that, can be so exhausting. I have also been very ill lately. I just can't stop vomiting or retching and my stomach is strained. Today all that came up was bile.

I have gained weight, I don't know how much because I threw my scale out but I can feel it. As I lie in bed with my knees together, I can no longer feel bone upon bone. I can see it also, my thighs look thicker my face too. I know that my gaining weight is a must but I don't know how I feel about it. I don't feel happy about it but to say I feel sad wouldn't be right either.

My oldest son is starting Secondary School tomorrow! We have one last night together before he dons his Navy blazer and is an official year seven pupil. I am just so proud of him. He wants to begin journalling about this new chapter in his life; I am just so proud!!! You know I love to write and this brought a tear to my eye. I handed him is very first journal today, Marvel Action of course!!

Once everyone is in bed, I will tuck myself up with the hilarious political satire "The Thick of It". If you haven't see it, please give it a whirl. It's now on Netflix and I tell you it cracks me up every time! Malcolm Tucker is my hero!! This is just what I need to help ease my mind; it's far too busy. Thoughts of tests and of new beginnings. The expectations again.

Last edited:
You really are an incredible woman and your posts are packed full of useful information. I thought that I had done loads of research but I didn't come across the PPY hormone. So off to look it up. Hang on in there be proud of yourself and it's fantastic that your son wants to write a journal. I hope you both have a great day tomorrow x

Sorry to hear about this latest fiasco hon. How terrifying it must feel right now when the experts don't have the answers :(

Love mr tucker he is a real verbal hero!

Chris, thank you. I'm not incredible; I wish I were. I am not holding up too well today either, I am just glad that I have my 3 and 4 year old with me to help keep my mind off the negative.

My son, went off full of beans this morning. He is a tall boy but he looked so small all of a sudden as I watched him walk down the road. The school is literally 5 minute walk away and he wanted to go alone (he doesn't need mum and dad cramping his style haa!). We are counting down the hours until he gets home, we are ready to pounce on him as soon as he sets foot on our road! I think I will put out a little "Welcome Home/Congratulations on Your First Day" buffet".

Yve, fiasco just about covers it, I am more than ready for this to be over and done with. My new surgeon comes back today and I am sure they will discuss my case during the MDT meeting (they always do). God willing, he will come up with some spectacular tit bit of knowledge that will fix me!

Last edited:
Well I think you are incredible :). I am sorry to hear that today is not a good day for you. Often waiting and not knowing is harder than dealing with an issue - if that makes sense. A buffet for you son sounds a lovely idea. Hope you feel better soon. X

Sorry to hear the tests have been inconclusive so far. Know exactly what you mean about feeling like a pin cushion, my arms / hands have been covered in bruises due to all the blood tests and small short veins. Interesting to hear about the PYY hormone theory, I shall definitely mention it the Gastro Dr I am due to see on Friday. I'm still feeling extremely sick and struggling to get very much in, it's all exhausting. I went back to work yday which was hard going after 3 months off, I've negotiated a phased return but even so it is going to be a challenge. With no answers in sight I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I'm just going to have to try and live with it and I'm hoping going back to work will resume some 'normality'. I'm feeling rather depressed with this thought but fortunately the psychologist attached to my team has been great and I'm trying hypnotherapy (bit sceptical still about this but desperate to try anything!)
Hope you have some final answers soon and the Dr's can sort it out. Take care

Eyes rolling on the medical side :hmm:

Good news on the weight putting on front. I know exactly what you mean about the knee bones, I'm borderline at that stage too. :D

Oh Tassie, I am so very sorry. I am "lucky" in in the sense that I no longer work and can just rest. That being said, work may seem like a welcomed distraction at times.

I have everything crossed that they will come up with something. You could try messaging Scooter and Jaywill. They too have Sleeves (well Jaywill recently had RNY revision surgery) and have had terrible times. They may be able to shed some light on your situation.

Chris, you are right and that is just how I feel when I allow myself to overthink it. I feel better now that Cameron is home. We are having a good laugh and I even had the strength to bath the wee ones and cook dinner (something I have not done for weeks). Gosh, I had forgotten how much energy it takes. It was worth getting tired out just to see how excited the children were to see me up and about in the kitchen.

I am back in hospital on Friday and will be there overnight. Third times the charm eh?

Hugs to you hun! Keep strong - you ARE an incredible woman, and this will end soon and then you and your family can get on with a 'normal' stress-free life. Onwards ... xxxx

Hope all goes well tomorrow Apositive. Everythings crossed

I really hope it all goes well tomorrow - I will be thinking about you and sending positive beams xx

Thanks for the info about the gut hormones, my consultant agreed it should be something I should be tested for - just got to wait 2 weeks before tests to get medication out of my system. Also got to have another MRI which I'm not looking forward to but know I have to have it done. How are things with you?

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for thinking of me.

Tassie, how are you doing?

I have been lurking on the boards these last couple of weeks, I just didn't have the strength to tell the rest of my story. Its been a whirlwind and it is not yet over, although it looks like there might be some much awaited light at the end of this very, very long tunnel!

I went for the third PPY gut hormone test which again was not without event. There were a lot of cloak and dagger type shenanigans from my team and by the time I was allowed to leave I could have ran if my body would have let me.

That very evening I vomited my NJ tube out for the third time had to be readmitted on the Monday. At this point my new Surgeon decided that a Diagnostic Laparoscopy was needed. But this was after he marched into my room and was so incredibly rude to me that I had to put him in his place.

Again, more shocking facts were uncovered regarding my care.

Then laparoscopy showed that my Sleeve was covered in a massive amount of adhesions (something they had never seen before) and it was thought that these were causing my stomach to kink and twist and causing all my symptoms. The adhesions were removed (along with my feeding tube that I had been given the day before) and I was told I could go home and would be fine. Well, I was not fine. I still cannot eat and can only keep down thing fluid. Coconut water is the new wine, don't you know.

I have lost 5lb since last Wednesday and I am 8 stone today.

Last week I went to see my surgeon who assured me that my Sleeve was "perfect" and insisted that all I needed was more time.

Nope, I don't think so. Whilst all this was going on, I had been working away to see to see if I could get an urgent referral to see another surgeon who came highly recommended by a lovely lady on this forum. I had an endoscopy at the new hospital yesterday and it appears that the Sleeve is not "perfect" after all. It is kinking and narrowing in two places and he had to force the endoscope through. My oesophagus is eroded and dilated also. I have a Barium Swallow tomorrow and I will see the surgeon again next Wednesday to decide on the best course of action. Although, yesterday he felt that a Bypass was the best way to go. We will see.

Well, I am back (the test was cancelled yesterday as the machine was broken). The chap carrying out the test consulted with his colleague and they said there was no need for the Marshmallow part of the test. But he did say that although the Barium was flowing, it was taking a very long time. "Its sluggish", he said. I was retching and gagging the entire time and it hurt as it entered the stomach. I just hope this, along with my old imaging from the last hospital and the last Endoscopy will help my new surgeon come up with a came plan. Although, he did say that sometimes, there is no anatomical reason, its just that for some reason (no one can fathom) the procedure just doesn't agree with a patient and we have to find a way to fix it. He said that he had seen patients like me before who went on to have Bypasses and lived perfectly normal lives.

Back