• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My story.... so far........

wishiwasslim

Hi im new to this part of the site, some of you might recognise my name from the cambridge site a while ago!
Well im gonna start at the beginning....... i was a fat child and had the usual "fat" name calling all my childhood i guess this is where the problem started??
i met my husband when i was 16 and im still married to him now!!! (at 38)!
I suppose the fact hes never minded me big hasn't helped matters either!
Well a lifetime of yo- yo dieting doing every one possible ww, sw, Ll, cambridge, slimming pills all with little and short lived success, the usual story as soon as the weight loss slows down i loose the plot start overeating, binge eating, secret eating the weight back on!
ive really tried and failed every diet ever invented! and im slowly putting my last lost weight back on and really really depressed about it.
i guess this is where i am today i saw my G.p last week about surgery possibilities, who kindly told me i fit the national guidelines for refferal on nhs but where i live its 10 more on the bmi's so no chance, so my only hope i feel is private surgery, its so annoying cos with 4 kids i could find other things to use the money for but im so desperate to change my life while i still can, also im waiting for a refferal to phsycology and ive just found out i might have to wait till Feb from last April before i can see someone!!!!
One of the reasons for this post is to ask you all, if you've had the results you hoped for and also does anybody regret surgery?
my worst fear i suppose as well as the actual op is spending the money and wishing i hadn't, but after reading your fab stories i find it harder and harder to think that would happen but feel i should ask your valued opinions!
sorry its a long winded one but i was on a roll pouring it out. x

hi and welcome hun xxx well im 15 months post op and 8.5 stone down so far, which is fantastic, i was 25 stone to start off with and like u i have 4 kids and been married 23 years i got married at 17 lol, i went private and it was the best money i have ever spent well worth it, i for 1 havent looked back, u will find alot of support on here for this, i was told that i couldnt get nhs funding so i dived straight in and went private, from the time i 1st seen the surgeon to having the op it was only 4 weeks lol, im 40 now and i wish i had done it years ago 2b honest with u anyway i wish u luck with woteva u decide to do, if u want to mail me or msn me its [email protected] feel free hun, il help u if i can ok take care xxx

Oh thank you Georgina, i never expected anyone so similer to me to reply, i know your right about the money, i cant stand the thought of still been like this in 20 years time i know ill never control it by myself, which surgery did you have? im thinking about the band at the moment, just because im so scared of surgery its the quickest and least invasive! i need to loose about 9 stone, I think my husband now understands me although its taken some explaining (hes not got a weight problem and sometimes struggles to understand mine) i feel ive got no choice and as i said to him i wouldn't spend the money or put myself through the op if i wasnt i my wits end, i would love to e mail you some things ive got on my mind if its def ok? x x

Hi WIWS, welcome to the WLS part :) I'm nearly 2 months post bypass, and have lost 2stone 10lbs so far :D It is the best thing I have ever done and like Georgina said I wish I'd done it years ago! Mine was NHS, but I had reached the point were if the NHS said no then I was going to find the money somewhere (It took me over 18months to get it on the NHS).

If you're undecided on band/bypass the best thing you can do is research research research! Most bypass's are done laporoscopically these days so are not as invasive as they used to be. I have 5 small scars, each around an inch long. It's going to depend on your eating habits and on your willpower which one is right for you.

Looking forward to watching your story develop!

Shel

Welcome to Minis. I started at just over 19 stone with around 9 stone to lose and have lost just over 3 stone in 10 weeks (including the pre-op diet). I had a band privately, and for me I have no regrets at all - I am learning to love my band and it is certainly working well for me.
Everyone is different - it is not an easy decision to know which surgery to opt for, but whatever you decide, I wish you lots of luck and let us all know how you get on xx

Hi there, I went privately as like you I was within the national guidelines but did not qualify for it with my trust. It was the best money I have ever spent and I have no regrets over spending that amount of money,
I had the op on the 1st of May, I lost two stones with the preop and my own diet and have gone on to lose another five stones since the op. It has more the exceeded my expectations of what I would lose.
Its your choice on what to do but after my experience I would say go for it!

Back