• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My waterproof dressing just got saturated

Lisav

I just went in the shower and one of my waterproof dressing swelled up with water - I'm so annoyed and worried. Any advice what I should do? I have put a sterile melolin pad on, but it's not staying very well. I was told to keep the wound dry for seven days and on day two its soaked. Should I try to go to my doctors tomorrow for more dressings or can I get something from boots or the chemist? Help!

I bought some replacements in tesco, £1.30 for 5 :) xx

Yes I would go and see the nurse at your GP's at least. Hopefully everything will be ok and you will be sent away with a fresh dressing xx

Make sure it is properly dry and see nurse tomorrow to check steri strips are still in place and to put new dressings on.

The steri strips don't seem to have moved, I patted the area dry and redressed it myself from my first aid box, but it doesn't seem to be staying on well. I'll try to get in at the nurse tomorrow. Panicking slightly!

Hi

The dressings that the hospital I went to used a brand of dressing called opsite, and they did really well staying on in the bath. If you have to buy your own I recomend looking for that brand in your local Chemists. Did your hospital not give you a few dressings just in case any came off.

Paul

Paul

Pity post is so rubbish here! I was discharged with loads of spares as I have to change them every 3 days, very impressed with them too. I wouldn't worry, unless it is weepy, make do for tonight and see nurse in morning!

Sar2567 said:
Pity post is so rubbish here! I was discharged with loads of spares as I have to change them every 3 days, very impressed with them too. I wouldn't worry, unless it is weepy, make do for tonight and see nurse in morning!

I can't tell if it's weepy or anything as the steri-strip is still on! I have just placed the sterile pad over the top of the steri strips. Very kind of you to think of me though x

My mother in law is a nurse and said if you have writhes and glue the wound is sealed and you just need to pat dry. But don't leave the soggy dressings on. My wounds were t dressed and I was told to keep them dry while showering. Yeah picture that if you will! Hence I asked my mil Mine are almost completely healed now. Can even post a pic if you want the proof.

Please bear in mind that Lisa had her op (band) 2 days ago and was advised to keep the wounds dry for 7 days. Also that we all are given different advice and our wounds are even *repaired* (cant think of a better word) differently ie stitches, glue, staples or steri strips.

A medical opinion is the most appropriate in this situation.

Lisa you are doing the right thing redressing the wound and I hope you get to see your GP or nurse tomorrow - even if its just to put your mind at rest x

I agree Mazza and was just trying to reassure Lisa. I was given the same advice hence seeking a medical opinion myself.

Same thing happened too me I just took dressing off, let scars dry then got some waterproof dressings from tesco quite cheap and stuck them back over the scars hope this helps xxxxx

I would go to the nurse she may say you redress yourself but I would check with her first,

I only ever had steri strips .. No dressings at all. Was hold I could bath and should pat dry afterwards . Strips came off by themselves after a couple of days. They recommended not to cover as they heal quicker with air. Every hospital seems to be different !!

Just back from the nurse - she redressed it no problem and gave me some more dressings to take away! All sorted :)

Glad ur all sorted lisav, tip im gonna ask for some spare when i go on sunday cos i wont be able to keep out of the shower. how u feeling 2day?

Back