• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My weightloss surgery dream is over...for now.

EmmaLouise81

Very sad to be writing this but I have had to give up on weight loss surgery.

I got off a plane last yr on my way to Chichester to meet Mr Somers for a consultation, I put it down to tiredness (I have M.E) and a very small plane.

I thought if I my consultations in Ireland then only travel to the UK once for the op all would be good..if only!!

I have terrible anxiety problems which I believe stem from my life long weight battle but they are out of hand now.

I went to The Hospital Group first, found they unfriendly, pushy about money and they turned around last minute to change the surgeon to one I knew I would never go too. They mucked me around so much I decided I was not comfortable with them so I went to the WLS group.

Wendy the nurse was amazing, she put me to ease straight away, no talk of money just such a lovely lady. That was Aug 30th, surgery could not happen straight away as my mum and aunt would be going with me and they had weddings, holidays etc booked for September.

My op date was 13th Oct, 2 weeks before I had a bad cold then woke up with cramps in my stomach like never before. I put it down to anxiety and got into such a state, crying all weekend etc. Things got so bad my mum called for a DR to come...not my usual one but a month ago he saw me and asked how with my ill-healthy and anxiety problems would I be able to cope with such a big operation. It put doubt in my head but I wanted it so much I did not think about it.

He was very unsupportive at my home, in and out in 5 mins and just ignored me and told my mum to take the option of not going away...'she is going, no choice about it'

He had forgotten seeing me last month...so I am sitting begging him to give me something to calm me down. He doubled my regular medication and give me diazepam..told me not to take it until a few days before trip but then said I could have one before bed that night.

Well...not sure what set me off but the next day I was ready to be carted off to the padded cells..it was maybe mixing them or a higer dose but my skin was crawling, I was crying and I was suicidal. I actually told my mum I wanted to kill myself...I barely remember it but she said my eyes where so spaced out. I have seen people having drug related problems on tv but never thought it could happen to me...I dont even drink alcohol!!

My family started rubbing and slapping my body, I had to be forced to drink water and was put in a cold shower...after a few hours I started coming round but it was terrible for us all.

We realised that I am in no fit state to have the op, mentally or physically. I have no fear of the op, had one a few years ago the difference was it was a 45 min drive from home and my family saw me each day.

At present there are no weight loss surgeries happening in N.Ireland...nor Dublin from what I understand. I have such a fear of airports, planes etc that going to the mainland for surgery is out...until the day they can provide here my dream of being slim, healthy and possible healthy are over. I hoped I would gain confidence to date, maybe marry and hopefully have children one day...approaching 30 next year and I fear none of that is now in my future.

I have found these forum amazing over the years, you have all given me such hope and inspiration...I only wish I could have been writing this message to say I was on the losers bench.

Aw thats really sad news Emma Louise, I wish you were writing with better news too but in the long run its your health, mental and physical that needs to come first. I know Wales had no WLS either and things are going to be starting up there soon so maybe Ireland will follow suit. I hope they do, and then your dream of surgery can come true. Try and stay positive hun (HUGS) it might be over for now, but that doesnt mean its over for ever! XXX

I really feel for you, how awful. I got quite upset just reading it you poor thing. Its a great shame you can't come here and have it done some how because i really think it would change your life.
I hope your happiness improves for you and your anxiety problem.
Hopefully soon they will be doing WLS in Ireland, do try to stay positive.
go back to your usual doctor and ask him for his advice, i wish you all the luck in the world xxx

I am so sorry to hear this hun, you never know with a few months of the new tablets you may be feeling a lot better and things may change.

in the meantime I will be keeping my fingers crossed that WLS comes to Irelands.

Big hugs hun. xxx

Aw Emma i'm so sorry that you are having to give up on your dream for the moment. I can see both sides of the coin, if you really think your anxiety stems from your battles with your weight then surgery really would help. However the flip side is that if you aren't emotionally strong pre op there are times you will struggle big time, i was strong but even i underestimated the emotional highs and lows in the early days. What is important is for surgery to feel right for you so you are ready physically and emotionally. You need to get strong hun and you will and we will still be here for you hun anytime you need us lots of love and hugs xx

Awwww how terrible for you dear. I read your post and it was heartbreaking, you are going through so much love. I agree with the others and maybe in time when you get things sorted a little bit you will have surgery. My heart goes out to you and i wish you all the luck for the future. xxx

I am so sorry hon. I really feel for you. Don't give up. One day you will be stronger and it will happen. Just give it some time.

Emma-Louise, I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. Have you thought about going to your gp and ask to be referred to a psychologist or counsellor. I needed counselling prior to having my surgery and feel that I am in a much better place.

Have you ever thought about seeing a hypnotherapist about your anxiety re flying? It might help. I don't really know. Even if in the end you decide not to have the op at least you'll have the freedom of travel.

Sending lots of hugs.

Rebirth

Hi Em, I hope you're feeling better soon.

When I went for my bypass I had my consultation the day before - that would only one trip for you.

It was arranged by cosmetic surgeon Marcus Landauer who contacted Mr Ammori at the Spire Hospital in Manchester.

All medical questions etc. were done on the phone and by post, arranged my consultation for the Thursday so travelled down by train, met the dietician, staff and Mr Ammori for tests etc. then stayed overnight at a hotel.

I went to the Spire at 7am on the Friday, had the surgery 10am and booked out at 10am on the Saturday. They are very happy to keep you in a few extra days because of the distance you are travelling but I just wanted to get home.

Would this be any good for you? There are a lot of Mr Ammoris bypassers on here who would recommend him.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Take Care. x

Hi Emma Louise, sorry to hear you are not in a good place right now. I travelled to Birmingham from Dublin for my surgery. I have since heard that they do WLS in The Beacon Clinic in Dublin. Not sure if that's any help to you , but at least it would only be a car journey from NI.It might be worth looking into when you feel better.

Hope you feel well soon.

Hi Emma, I remember you from your post about your fear of flying. I am so sorry things have'nt changed for you but please don't give up on weight loss surgery. Once you start feeling better and the anxiety settles a little there may be a chance you can get your long awaited op. Is there no other way of getting over here without flying?? The ferry maybe?? I hope so sweetheart. Good luck and hope things settle soon for you. Huge hugs xxxx

Back