• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

N H S Waiting List

Willow4

I was just wondering. How long after been on the seminar, seen the Surgeon and had the second appointment to sign a contract, then get put on the waiting list it takes to get your operation.

I know every area will be different, but like everyone else feel like its for ever. :sigh:

I should be seeing the Surgeon again for the second time in September, still not got a date.

I wouldn't mind, if they gave some idea what would happen, but they don't.

Tis a good question sweetheart lol from referral by my gp to surgery took almost 3 years....... at no point did they ever tell me what was going on lol but to be honest i didn't push it either, i just went with the flow......... I went to (i think if i remember rightly) 4 or 6 group sessions + dietician appointments. At my last session i still wasn't even aware i'd been granted my funding LOL then it was a few months after that i had my multi team meeting. Surgeon agreed it was ok to do surgery as did the others (dietician and anesthetist) i was told he would put me on the list as soon as i had given up smoking and made up my mind on which procedure i was having............ He said go away and write to me when your ready........ i came away gave up smoking and done further research, forgot all about it until i got a letter thru saying i was on the list................ Then its 18 weeks (i think that applies to all surgery's) Then tadah a phone call giving me exact date :) obviously all areas are different. It all depends i think, some of the lady's who were on group sessions same time as me had their surgery months before mine?? so how longs a piece of sting LOL x x x xx gl hunni

Hi Cystal
Thank you for that, least you have put me in the picture, and to be honest what you have said that's how its going.
So I am just going to go with the flow, and see what happens.

Hubby says I will be to stressed to have op, waiting for the phone to ring or the postman to call.

At St. Mary's they told us 18 weeks. I keep hearing about some rules changing and that is why people should expect the wait to be in months rather than years. I really hope so, I'm in the same boat.

Hi Rosalie I hope so that would be great. That would mean January for me, what about you.

Most people at my hospital tend to have their surgeries between 2-6 months after seeing the psychiatrist. So I'm hoping it's before Christmas but that's a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

my gp referred me in august last year had seminar / consultant in october and placed on list then removed for other reasons went back on list in jan this year and bypassed april

Mines in my signature (I cant see it on my iPhone)

06/11/13 - GP referral
23/12/13 - Group session
04/02/14 - Surgeon & Pre-ass
03/03/12 - Dietition
12/03/14 - Psychologist - told MDT at end of April
26/04/14 - Waiting for MDT to get date (told new systems mean a backlog and it will be end of May)
28/05/14 - Told MDT will sit end of June! Gave up at this point.
13/06/14 - Given date
19/06/14 - Start Pre-Op Diet - 25st 2lb
4/07/14 - SLEEVE DAY - 24st

Most people at my hospital tend to have their surgeries between 2-6 months after seeing the psychiatrist. So I'm hoping it's before Christmas but that's a long shot. Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Are you under St Mary's in paddington???

Mines in my signature (I cant see it on my iPhone) 06/11/13 - GP referral 23/12/13 - Group session 04/02/14 - Surgeon & Pre-ass 03/03/12 - Dietition 12/03/14 - Psychologist - told MDT at end of April 26/04/14 - Waiting for MDT to get date (told new systems mean a backlog and it will be end of May) 28/05/14 - Told MDT will sit end of June! Gave up at this point. 13/06/14 - Given date 19/06/14 - Start Pre-Op Diet - 25st 2lb 4/07/14 - SLEEVE DAY - 24st Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Helen,

I'm also going to have surgery at St Mary's. Any advice?

Yes, under Mr Ahmed Ahmed. :) Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Me too!!!! Mr Moorthy did mine... Brilliant surgeons.. Your in very good hands and won't be waiting forever for your date..

I can't fault them at all.. There are 2 other people I know on here that have had their surgery at St Mary's in the last few months .. Big Dave and helenangelfish ...

I'm 3 weeks post op bypass ....

Me too!!!! Mr Moorthy did mine... Brilliant surgeons.. Your in very good hands and won't be waiting forever for your date.. I can't fault them at all.. There are 2 other people I know on here that have had their surgery at St Mary's in the last few months .. Big Dave and helenangelfish ... I'm 3 weeks post op bypass ....

Wow! I hope you're recovery is going well! Tbh I'm at the psychiatrist stage. I have the review in 6 days and I'm terrified! I believe this is the final step before the meeting they will have to discuss my case. I just hope she doesn't turn around and say 'oh no you crazy' lool

Wow! I hope you're recovery is going well! Tbh I'm at the psychiatrist stage. I have the review in 6 days and I'm terrified! I believe this is the final step before the meeting they will have to discuss my case. I just hope she doesn't turn around and say 'oh no you crazy' lool Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

She is lovely and I was really at ease when I was speaking to her... Your be under the knife before you know it x

Thank you so much! Are you doing ok? Was it a relief or were you scared! Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I was so happy to have it done .. Relieved to be on the road to a happier place in a slimmer healthier body..

I had the bypass what are you having?
They give you the choice and I decided I wanted the surgery with the best long term statistics available...
For me that was the bypass...

I wasn't scared prior to surgery but when I came round in the recovery room I was scared the pain wouldn't go away..

I have to take morphine everyday for a spinal injury and have built up a resistance to it... So it took a whole for them to get my pain at a manageable level.. Good old tramadol IV sorted me out in the end...

I have no regrets at all now I am all healed ..
Well I do have one actually...
I wish I had had it done ten years ago when I had a band fitted privately...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it..

How much are you wanting to lose with the surgery? I'm on my phone so i can't see stats

I was so happy to have it done .. Relieved to be on the road to a happier place in a slimmer healthier body.. I had the bypass what are you having? They give you the choice and I decided I wanted the surgery with the best long term statistics available... For me that was the bypass... I wasn't scared prior to surgery but when I came round in the recovery room I was scared the pain wouldn't go away.. I have to take morphine everyday for a spinal injury and have built up a resistance to it... So it took a whole for them to get my pain at a manageable level.. Good old tramadol IV sorted me out in the end... I have no regrets at all now I am all healed .. Well I do have one actually... I wish I had had it done ten years ago when I had a band fitted privately... Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.. How much are you wanting to lose with the surgery? I'm on my phone so i can't see stats

I had a band fitted in 2002 and it caused me so many problems. Mr Ahmed removed it in December. I'm also hoping to get the Bypass and I've seen everyone and signed the consent form. I just read somewhere that psychiatrist turn away around the third of the bariatric patients so that terrifies me a little.

I have more than 70 kilos to lose. Bmi 58! I don't suffer from anything else though, but I do have a history of depression.

Our stories are similar! Can't wait to see your progress! ?

Mr Sanjay Purkayastha, was my surgeon under Mr Ahmed.

Lovely man! The whole team is great!!

The psychologist is nothing to worry about, she will just want to make sure you're prepared, have considered all aspects of surgery and life afterwards - positives and negative. Ie friends and relationships might change

You shouldn't have too long to wait. They aim for the 18 weeks completion journey.

Make she you ask for the diet booklets etc at reception as they have updated it recently. Ie purée used to be until day 28. Now day 35 xx

Mr Sanjay Purkayastha, was my surgeon under Mr Ahmed. Lovely man! The whole team is great!! The psychologist is nothing to worry about, she will just want to make sure you're prepared, have considered all aspects of surgery and life afterwards - positives and negative. Ie friends and relationships might change You shouldn't have too long to wait. They aim for the 18 weeks completion journey. Make she you ask for the diet booklets etc at reception as they have updated it recently. Ie purée used to be until day 28. Now day 35 xx Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Helen Angelfish! I love your name! I've tried to read as much as I can about the surgery and the risk involved, including mortality, side effects, diet etc. my fear comes from the fact that she may think me unfit to undergo the surgery for some reason. I have struggled with depression for years so I hope that won't ruin my chances.

The nurse gave us a booklet and then the dietitian explained the low carb diet. I just checked it and it says 28 days, maybe this is the old one. But that was only last month.

I can't wait to join you ladies in the post operative side! ?

Hi Helen Angelfish! I love your name! I've tried to read as much as I can about the surgery and the risk involved, including mortality, side effects, diet etc. my fear comes from the fact that she may think me unfit to undergo the surgery for some reason. I have struggled with depression for years so I hope that won't ruin my chances. The nurse gave us a booklet and then the dietitian explained the low carb diet. I just checked it and it says 28 days, maybe this is the old one. But that was only last month. I can't wait to join you ladies in the post operative side! ? Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm sure you'll be fine! Many people have depression at some point in their lives. Me included.

The hospital also has booklets on each procedure which explains all the pros and cons. If you live nearby pop in and ask at the Pattison Centre reception. Or call and they may be able to post them all out to you xx

Back