• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

naso gastric tube

Grace

I have to ask...as I'm a bit paranoid, I've never had one of these :wave_cry:

(for the un-initiated its a tube passed up your nose and down into your stomach to drain excess stuff out of your stomach)

and as I'm thinking about it can't for the life of me see how you could have one in post-op, since the stomach is mainly stapled off. :confused:....but do they put one in at all?

I've never nursed someone having gastric bypass ( they didn't do such things in my time ....in the olden days LOL) and I've always dreaded the thought of it. :eek:

Can anyone put my mind at rest please?

Thanks, Charis

I was told if ever we need tubes of any kind that they would have to use a paediatric one because of our small stomachs and openings....

I do intend to invest in a medialert bracelet so if the need arises someone can help me properly xx

so you didn't wake up with one then Julie? Phew..........:D

yes a medi alert bracelet's a good idea :)

i woke up with one, nowt to worry about, it comes out after a day or so, you'll be fine ;)

I didn't wake up with one. It doesn't seem to be an across the board procedure and each surgeon/hospital is different.

we used to use the nasal tube for bypassers but not now, worry not x

I had an oxygen mask that i kept taking off as soon as the nurses went. I felt like it was depriving me of air not putting it into my system....

Charis, if you needed one they'd put it in whilst you were under the anaesthetic so you'd miss the horrible bit. Not many people need them but whilst it is in it just feels awkward but it may be needed for drainage or to stop you vomiting (not a good idea with a newly stapled stomach).

o gosh is this only done for bypass'ers?.... seems awful hey, but i suppose if its done while your under at least your unaware of that bit :-/ x

Thanks Liz, that's a big relief! :D

Julie, I can cope with the mask now as I have to wear one for sleep apnoea so I've got used to it, but I've had hated it before as I'm claustrophobic.

Gillabean...I completely get why you have to have one, and I suppose I've put thousands down in my time! (on both adults and babies!).........but I've never had one myself, and the thought has always terrified me! They do say nurses make terrible patients.

I had such a rotten time with the gastroscopy, I can puke/retch for England with very little provocation!

.........basically I'm just a big wuss!

Back