• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nausea post sleeve

Tassie

Hi, I'm 6 days post sleeve and have severe nausea and am struggling to get more than 650 mls fluid in a day. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it go on for? I'm obviously very concerned about dehydration and the threat of readmission. Thanks :(

adrienne

Hi there
Yes, I had nausea after my surgery, it petered out eventually, although if I drink too fast I get it still now, I found that squash went down far better than water, don't know why because I love water, and I sipped from a sports bottle top which also seemed to help. I carry it with me constantly so that I keep getting the liquid down me, I prob had about the same quantity as you, but I felt ill, headaches weak and so my answer is really try snd get more fluids in, because you will feel really poorly if you don't .

Try 100%fruit Ice lollies, they go down really well and never made me feel sick.

Hope this helps a little

MrsDuck

I'm 3 days post sleeve today, and I'm struggling with water too, I'm concerned I'm not getting enough fluids, so will send oh out for ice lollies, what a good idea, thanks chick. X

Pain wise, trapped wind in places I never thought possible. Windeze are helping, as is peppermint tea, I've been having 2 cups a day. I Get the hubby to give my back a good rub, get some wind moved, it all helps. I get heart palpitations a lot, particularly when I'm laid down, is this normal? Xx

Matra

I suffered from nausea, sickness and the squits (sorry TMI) for the first week and half post sleeve. Really struggled to get fluids in and was lucky if I managed 500mls per day. Ice poles were a god send, think I was going thru 3 or 4 per day! It took me 3 weeks to 'feel myself' again and 3 1/2 to return to work.

It does get better but at the time it feels like it won't but it really does, hang on in there ;)

Mrs Duck, I used to get the feeling of heart palpitations, where lying down but mine were down to a spot of anxiety. I'd be tempted to put a call into your team, just for reassurance more than anything else x

Speedy recovery to you all x

Tassie

Thanks, unfortunately ended up being readmitted which was last thing I wanted. Now having anti nausea meds via drip which finally seem to be working today, finally can sip without feeling very nauseas. In until at least mon but hopefully then home and can start journey proper.

Matra

Hope you feel better soon Tassie, the hospital will sort you out x

adrienne

Thanks, unfortunately ended up being readmitted which was last thing I wanted. Now having anti nausea meds via drip which finally seem to be working today, finally can sip without feeling very nauseas. In until at least mon but hopefully then home and can start journey proper.

Ahhhh that's a shame but you are in the right place and being looked after, take it easy xxx

Tassie

Hi

9 weeks out and I am now on my 5th readmission to hospital because of severe nausea :cry:.As I cannot eat / drink enough I have had to have a feeding tube put in which is not pleasant and I'm struggling a bit with the fact they are pumping 1200 calories into me everyday when I have spent months mentally preparing to only have 800. I've also gained weight since they started feeding me which is also difficult to accept, although I know a lot of my previous weight loss was due to dehydration. The Dr's don't really know what to do next although they have told me I can always expect to have some nausea - has anyone else had such severe nausea post sleeve, for this long and did it eventually improve ? Thanks

Tassie

Hi, am now on my 5th admission since my sleeve at the beginning of May thanks to severe nausea. Have had to have a feeding tube put in as I was so malnourished and dehydrated. I'm struggling with this as after months of getting my head around only having a max of 800 calories a day I am being pumped full of 1200. Plus my weight has gone up since I have had the tube, I know a lot of my previous loss was due to dehydration and I was loosing it too fast but it is still really difficult to accept.
I was wondering whether anyone else had had such severe nausea and needed tube feeding and if so how long did it go on for? Have tried everything I know of / have read about for the nausea but any other advice greatly received. Thanks

Tassie

I saw the consultant today, I'm waiting for a scan - based on the results of this they will then make a decision about putting a more long term tube straight into my abdomen. I'm really fed up with it all now and would just like to wake up in the morning and not feel nauseas :(

BluewooFedUp

I saw the consultant today, I'm waiting for a scan - based on the results of this they will then make a decision about putting a more long term tube straight into my abdomen. I'm really fed up with it all now and would just like to wake up in the morning and not feel nauseas :(

Sounds like you need a hug

:hug99:

x

Tassie

Thanks, I am finally home after 3 1/2 weeks in hospital. Week to wait for scan which will hopefully reveal the cause of the nausea and it can then be sorted once and for all - everything crossed !

A.Positive

Huge hugs Tassie. I know just how hard this is.

Try not to worry about the weight gain; I have asked my husband to get shot of teh scales altogether. Right now, we mustn't focus of such things. We have not eaten for so long that our bodies are desperate and so whatever we are taking on is bound to give us a gain but that is all good weight!! My team want me to gain 7-14lbs in preparation for my Bypass.

Please let me know how you go. xxx

A.Positive

There is no option to send you PM for some reason. I just wanted to see how you were doing? xxx