• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Apologies for this post but I have the squitzs

Matra

Help, I'm 6 days post op (sleeve) having a bit of a tough time with nausea but it was getting a bit better. However yesterday came the arrival of rather (sorry for putting this so crudely) explosive squitzs with sickness following straight after.

I think this is quite common but was wondering how long it might last as I am concerned that I am not getting enough fluids in as it is, without it all coming 'out' again.

Any advice would be great fully received.
Thanks
L
X

Help, I'm 6 days post op (sleeve) having a bit of a tough time with nausea but it was getting a bit better. However yesterday came the arrival of rather (sorry for putting this so crudely) explosive squitzs with sickness following straight after. I think this is quite common but was wondering how long it might last as I am concerned that I am not getting enough fluids in as it is, without it all coming 'out' again. Any advice would be great fully received. Thanks L X

Hi Matra, hope you are feeling a bit better??!!!
I am 16 days post sleeve, and have had 2 episodes of tummy ache, and then the squits and then was sick - the sickness came on really quick!!! But once I had been sick it all seemed to relieve itself!!! I am putting it down to chicken complan- I hate the stuff anyway!!! So I won't be having anymore!!
I need to get my bowels a bit more regulated - the nurse at the hospital recommended califig, so I am going to get some of this.
The dietician recommended to have a bottle of water to 'sip' throughout the day in addition to the other fluids.

Hope things clam down for you a bit xxxx

What are you eating or should I say drinking hun? Did it feel like you were dumping?
There is a recent thread on here that may help you decide...

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-gastric-bypass-rny/155364-hooorah-dumping.html

You know Frances I wonder if it might be. Because of the nausea I have been sticking with stuff that I like but having just checked the sugar contents of each this might be the problem.

I haven't been managing much but have been eating Lf yoghurt drinks, diluted apple juice, Heinz tomato soup and calipos (as they are the only thing that seem to quench my thirst). Water that I used to love just isn't going down well. I have just tried some ss milk but it ain't sitting great. At this stage I could quite happily not have anything but I'm not daft, I know I need to get something in me.

Any advice on what I should try, never thought that I would have a problem taking in fluid!!

You know Frances I wonder if it might be. Because of the nausea I have been sticking with stuff that I like but having just checked the sugar contents of each this might be the problem.

I haven't been managing much but have been eating Lf yoghurt drinks, diluted apple juice, Heinz tomato soup and calipos (as they are the only thing that seem to quench my thirst). Water that I used to love just isn't going down well. I have just tried some ss milk but it ain't sitting great. At this stage I could quite happily not have anything but I'm not daft, I know I need to get something in me.

Any advice on what I should try, never thought that I would have a problem taking in fluid!!

It doesn't take a lot unfortunately :( . I didn't have an issue with tomato soup but others do but then again I have always watered mine down so don't know if that has helped. Try other types of soups instead. I now scour the nutritional value of stuff for hidden sugars just in case. I'm afraid it's all a bit trial and error to be honest but certainly your calipos would have me dumping big style!

Look at why your ss milk or water isn't sitting well... is it too cold? Are you sipping? Are you allowing plenty time between sips? . Keeping liquids up is imperative for a good recovery as it is so easy to get dehydrated post op, but you know that already :) xx

It's not uncommon to develop lactose intolerance post-op. How long after drinking dairy did this happen to you?

Because your lactase enzymes are significantly lowered post-surgery you might find it useful to swap to lactose free milk or soya milk during your recovery. Most supermarkets now stock it.

Dumping with a sleeve is much more uncommon as you are not rerouted. Not impossible but maybe more likely to be a lactose issue.

The small amount of ss milk I had earlier in the day seems to have settled fine but apart from that all I have managed is 1/4 cup of weight watchers soup. I am now trying to drink some very weak sf cordial with crushed ice in a cocktail glass (let's see if I can trick my mind!!)

Like Francis says, it's all trial & error but I am so desperate to get my fluids up, I really don't want to end up back in hospital on a drip!

Back