• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nausea

TiaLi

So I'm now 32 days post surgery and feeling worse than ever. The first three weeks was mostly about pain and having trouble eating as I found food in general revolting. But after about 3.5 weeks the pain started to go away. I can now get out of bed without problems, I can bend over etc etc - so the muscles are clearly almost healed up.

BUT - that's when a new issue started. Nausea. It took me completely by surprise as I hadn't really had any for the first few weeks. But now it's here 24/7. I've tried numerous anti-emetics, but nothing works. With this nausea eating has become even more difficult, so I now live off app 100ml yogurt/day.

I called the nurse in my team who said that nausea can sometimes happen, and that it is too early to really worry too much about it. Since it is constant rather than related to eating she didn't think it was a stricture, and basically just told me to ride it out.

I'm finding this nausea extremely draining mentally and really need to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel. Has anyone else had this, and how long did it last?

I think the nurse needs to be less dismissive! If you're feeling so unwell you can barely eat day after day then you need help. I know you've tried plenty of meds but are there any more that might help? Is it worth talking to your GP? You can't live feeling constantly sick unable to take in adequate nutrition. It sounds bloody miserable quite apart from anything else!

I think the nurse needs to be less dismissive! If you're feeling so unwell you can barely eat day after day then you need help. I know you've tried plenty of meds but are there any more that might help? Is it worth talking to your GP? You can't live feeling constantly sick unable to take in adequate nutrition. It sounds bloody miserable quite apart from anything else!

It is bloody miserable. Every morning when I wake up I say a little prayer that the nausea will be gone, but the minute I open my eyes there it is again. The anti-emetics I've tried are super strong (the same you give to cancer patients after chemotherapy) so I doubt another type will help. I told my nurse how much/little I'm eating and drinking but she basically said this is not unusual, but that if it gets worse over the next month to let her know. I have a followup meeting with my surgeon on May 15th but I dont think I can handle this for another month. It's soooooo mentally draining.

100ml of yogurt a day is nowhere near enough even at this stage surely. I don't know what else to suggest but I really feel for you x

100ml of yogurt a day is nowhere near enough even at this stage surely. I don't know what else to suggest but I really feel for you x

That's what I thought, so I was surprised she didn't seem more concerned... Really starting to regret this surgery, I'm scared I'll never recover.

This is not right that they are just dismissing this easily!! Surely you can't survive on that little and they should be more concerned!!! Sorry to hear you have had such a tough time! Hope it improves soon xxx

You will recover, some people here had a really tough start to their journey too but they got there in the end I promise :)

You will recover, some people here had a really tough start to their journey too but they got there in the end I promise :)
Thanks Fee...I hope so! When you're in the middle of it it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes x

Maybe some tablets aren't agreeing with you or something? do you take any for other issues not to do with your weight that might need altering now after you've had the surgery? Also, which yogurt is it? could you be having some kind of reaction to that? have you tried just drinking water or something for a day? Or maybe try making a home made soup so you know everything that's in it and see how well that holds down?
I cant imagine feeling so sick all the time :( i really hope you feel better soon.

Definitely not any medications or vitamins, because at the moment I can't keep any down so I'm not taking any (aside from omeprazole). Post-op nausea is apparently very common according to my team, but I'm surprised no one in here seems to have had it if it's that common.

About ready to jump in front of a bus at the moment, this is soooo mentally draining.

Back