• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anti-nausea pills?

Grace

I just went to see my GP to sort out various meds and prescritions.

SRH prescrbed me an anti-nausea pill called Ondanzetron, which has been woring very well. However, apparently it is also super-expensive so my GP was reluctant to prescribe any more. :sigh:

Here we go again with the cash-strapped NHS. :sigh:

Not wanting to be a pain, I agreed ta cheaper alternative. However, the drug prescribed (called Domperidone or Motilium) works by:
'helping to move food faster through your food pipe (oeasophagus), stomach and gut. This is so that it does not stay in the same place for too long. It also helps food flowing the wrong way ack up your food pipe. (oesophagus)'

according to the leaflet.
That doesn't sound like an ideal pill for use in a gastric bypass patient, to me.

I will be ringing SRH in the morning to get their thoughts. I just wondered in the meantime, if anyone else has had this problem of prolonged nausea post-op, and what if anything, they were given to help?

On a separate issue, my GP remarked that he thought that were I to be trying for funding for WLS now, I very likely wouldn't get it. It makes me so cross. Lets save £9000 now, and spend 3 or 4 times that much in a few years, when my health and quality of life have deteriorated.
Short-term thinking! I'm so sorry for people battling for funding now.

Sorry hun can't help as i've not heard of tablets but if you check with team that they are a suitable alternative if not i would go back to doc and argue your case. There must be a lot of people out there on expensive medication and its ridiculous that a price has to be put before people's health xx

Hmmm, never heard of them either. I would deffinately check with your team. Your health should come before money but we all know they dont look at it like that! x

I have had domperidone prescribed to me in the past when i was burping and bringing food up(sorry graphic lol).

It speeds up the emptying of the tummy from what my doctor told me so maybe not the best thing have post op but im sure your team will advise.

Back