• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need advice - Funding agreed today for gastric band with Mr Ackroyd in Sheffield

Hi All,

I've had my "Indiviual Funding Request" agreed today by the Derbyshire PCT. I am to have the gastric band fitted by Mr Ackroyd at the Hallamshire in Sheffield.

Does anyone know what will happen next and what the waiting list is for Mr Ackroyd??

:):):):):):):)

Shouldn't be very long. The latest meeting I was at, Tuesday, the people there were being told that if they are accepted and funding is agreed then it would be 3-4 months. You've gone through the system so I'm guessing you're only going to be about 2 months away if everything goes OK.

Well, the process so far is that you go to a pre-op meeting, which I have the luck to be part of now in the Sheffield area. This is where all the 3 types of operation are explained and then the lifestyle changes, dietry changes, what's expected of you etc etc. If you still say you're interested after the meeting they send you away telling you to expect a letter for a meeting with Dr Ackroyd who will assess you. Then a few weeks later you'll have some bloods taken and cardiogram, tested for MSI etc then if all these tests are 'OK' you'll get an appointment date.

Like I said before, it's about 3-4 months from this initial meeting but may be delayed a little as the WLS team are all moving to the Northern General hospital in Sheffield. As well as still being in the Thornbury private hospital too.

Ive just been looking online about the tier 3 process and it states that you have to do tier 2 for possibly 12 months and if you dont maintain 5% weight loss you can go to tier 3???? That all sounds like a long time.

When i spoke to tier 3 they said Mr Ackroyds waiting list was about 6 weeks.

The reason my funding has been agreed in while i have a bmi of 40 and diabetes and asthma i also have a family history of breast cancer with my grandmother, mother and sister all having had breast cancer.

I have there been offered risk reduction surgery, but i have to lose the weight first, hence the application to derbyshire PCT for funding, which was agreed today.

Its therefore detrimental that i have the risk reduction surgery sooner rather than later.

What should i do?

:cry::cry:

I'm not sure as to the answers to the 'What shall you do' question. Are you now waiting for letters to arrive or do you have to apply for something?

All this 'tier' information is new to me. I didn't have to follow any programme although Narissa did say that things were changing drastically due to funding issues. But seeing as you have funding agreed, I would have presumed you're just waiting now in the process.

The tier system is relatively new. Its designed to reduce the amount of people who get thru for surgery.

I have the funding agreed, i have my doctors referral. I just need to get the ball rolling. Think i will call Mr Ackroys secretary 2moro and find out what i should do next.

Thanks for your help & i may possibly see you soon.

Hi im from Sheffield and waiting for a letter to drop. Im under Patel who works along side Ackroyd. Mixxy has been very helpful and has answered everything you needed to know.

Iv not heard of the tier sytem either, but i had to lose a stone in 4 weeks before i was put on the list and they are very strict about that as well.

I would call his secretary and she will help you out. I called her last week to see if she had a date for me but she asked me to ring back in the first week in Nov.

Yes they are defo moving to northern general and ill probably have my op there. Iv had my pre op and should be having op on 16th December. Anyway Good Luck with everything xxx

I'm having a bypass by Mr Ackroyd on 8th Nov it will have been 3 months after my consultation. But i've been told the target time is 18 weeks max from that point . I hope that helps

Hi,

Thank you all for your help.

My referral letter has now been received by Mr Ackroyds secretary. She said i would have to attend a seminar & that they are held early each month. Does anyone know if i have missed this months???

Mr Ackroys sec after the seminar i would then receive an appointment to see
Mr. Ackroyd and will go onto the waiting list. Next will be a
preoperative assessment appointment and then a date for surgery.

Does all that sound about right????

Claire:)

Hi Claire im from Sheffield but im under Mr Patel.

I went to the seminar then had app with Mr patel, then app with the phycologist.
I was told to lose 1 stone in 4 weeks which i did, then went back to see Mr Patel. He then put me on the waiting list.

I had the pre op in September, and now im waiting for a date, been told December.

Hope this help love, and dont hesitate to ask anything else. xxxx

The PCT agreed my funding on the grounds that i need the weight loss surgery so that i can have risk reduction surgery as i have an 80% chance of getting breast cancer and a 40% chance of ovarian cancer.

I have already had my ovaries out and im eagerly awaiting a double mastectomy when i have lost my weight as my breast consultant will not operate until such a time for many reasons.

I hope for that reason alone i will not be waiting months & months. I have fought all the way to get my funding and i cannot stop fighting until i have my surgery - the risk of cancer is keeping me going.

I will call Mr Ackroys secretary tomorrow to see if i have made the 16th December seminar. I sooooooooooooo hope so.

Thank you all again for your help. It is so nice to know that you are all here and you all know exactly how i feel. just thank you thank you thank you x x x x x:)

Back