• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I need alittle advice Please x

Hi,

My weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) has been agreed by my PCT and i have attended a seminar & met with Mr Ackroyd @ the northern general sheffield and he placed me on his waiting list on the 21st December. I have my pre op assessment on the 24th January.............. My question is no one has mentioned how much weight i need to lose before my op or when i need to start the pre op diet. I am going to call the dietician but i thought i would ask you guys first.

I have just been reading the threads about people having their op cancelled on the day of surgery because they havent lost enough weight and thats really scared me.

What should i be doing at this stage?

Also how do i come back into this thread to view any replies (sorry ive not mastered the site yet)

Claire x x x x x:wave_cry:

To get to look at your post once someone replies, click user CP and it will be listed there.
As for how much weight to lose, it depends on your surgeon. My surgeon didnt set me a target to lose and I know others do and some dont. Its best to ring them to check. You will also need to ask about a pre-op diet.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Sal x

Hiya luv I think if your team haven't given you a weight loss target then it won't matter Hun, maybe loosing a little would proove to your surgeon how commuted you are to your journey ahead but I think they would have made it clear to you if you.needed to hit a target.

Just make sure you do your best on your pre op diet to shrink your liver

Good luck at your pre op asessment xxx

Thank you for your reply.

I think your right i will call them tomorrow. I've battled so hard to get here that i dont want to let myself down at the last hurdle.

What surgery did you have?

Also is there anyone out there that has any idea how long it will be before i get my date for surgery??? I couldnt wait for 1 minute past midnight new years eve so that i could officially say that this year i will be having weight loss surgery, i cannot wait, im a real giddy kipper x x x

Hi im due wls at the Northern General.

My dates have been cancelled and its not nice.

My first date was 6th jan which is today.

My second one was for the 13th jan.

My third one is pencilled in for the 27th jan but thats likely to get changed too.

Im under Mr Patel but the secretary told me just before xmas that the NHS is in a terrible state at the moment and its affecting Mr Ackroyd and 2 other surgeons at the northern.

Have you been told its a 6 months waiting time from the time you put on the list?

Hope this helps you a little xx

Hi Claire, just wanted to say hello and to send a huge welcome to you for your weightloss journey.

Lovely to see you posting here and look forward to offering support if I am able and willing you on your way.

Hoping it all works out really well for you and sending every good wish... Bev xxx

Not all pct's insist on a weight loss before surgery. However you will have to do a 'pre op' diet. The most important thing for you to remember about the pre op diet is this: It is not to make you lose weight, it's to shrink your liver to make surgery more safe... Please note that some patients have been sewn back up after surgery started because they never followed the pre op diet and their liver didn't shrink....

Welcome to the site and i hope you use it to get all the help and advice you need xxx

Hi,
The pct agreed my weight loss surgery as my grandma, mother and sister have had breast cancer which was tripple negative grade 3 aggressive. Both my sisters have now had double mastectomies. I unfortunately cannot have mine until I have reached an optimum weight hence the weight loss surgery.

Mr Ackroyd said that the waiting list was approx 3 months and under NHS guidelines I'm sure you cannot wait any longer than 18 weeks from going on the waiting list to surgery so the nurses in the clinic told me.

I think I will call the NG 2moro and check things out. My eargerness is born out of fear of not been able to have my risk reducing double mastectomy.

Thank you for all your help and kind threads.

Xxxxx

Hi Claire welcome to this lovely site.. My youngest daughters name is 'claire' iv always loved the name:).
Sorry to hear off your family history can understand why you are so eager.
I wasn't told an amount to lose but just told what you can expect to lose on the pre op diet.
Julie is quite right saying some patients have been closed up due to liver not shrinking enough, so it's in our best interest to stick to whatever pre op diet we are put on.
I start mine in a week, iv started to cut down now hoping it will help and not be such a shock to the system ;)
Best of luck.
Hugs xx

Hi Claire and welcome to the forum. Sadly the 18 week wait is a guideline and certainly can be longer. I waited about 24 weeks at Sunderland once i was put on the waiting list.
I hope you have better luck but Sugga's experience has been a tough one.
You'll get there though honey. Keep the giddy kipper thing going, it's cool!

Giddy Kipper LOL Not heard that one before, Welcome to the site and good luck on your journey

Hi Claire :)

I'm currently involved in the weightloss programme in Sheffield. I had my op 30th June 2009 and have done really well.

Whilst it's not part of the routine to lose weight before your op, it's seen as good commitment and will work in your favour.

What is really driven home to you is sticking to the pre-op diet. Don't do this and you won't get the op. Dr Ackroyd is very very strict about this.

Not sure if your too far down the line to have met me yet in the pre-op meetings :)

Hi mixman,
Yeah I met u in November. I met mr ackroyd on the 21st dec and I'm now on the waiting list. I was so excited my mind went blank when mr ackroyd said, any questions.

I have my pre op assessment 24th January. Who would u advise I call re what I should be doing now???

Claire

Back