• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

need advice with my band

sumptuousangel

Hey All,

I am looking for some advice really. I had my band fitted in JUly and lost nearly five stone with it. I had a small amount of restriction and a lot of it come from will power. I have had my first fill which has taken my up to 6ml in a 14ml band and i don't seem to have any restriction at all. I am hungry all the time and find myself snacking between meals. I know that the band gets loose when the fat around the stomach decreases. I just thought i would be able to eat less not more than before the fill. I was on liquids for a week following the fill as advised by the dr but lost no weight at all in that week. I have been on solids for two days and feel i can eat anything. i even managed a piece of toast. I feel like a failure and i am so worried that the weight will come back on. I just wondered if the restriction should be felt straight away or whether it takes time after the fill to feel the restriction. Any advice on what i should do? I was going to give it a week and if i don't lose anythign this week phone the hospital on friday and explain i don't have restrction, just worried it has gone wrong! so upset!

hi angel, a big well done on ur 5 stone weight loss. as for your restriction? everyone is different and most people need more than one fill. you should feel a restriction straight away. when i had my first fill i never felt restriction so had a second fill 4 weeks later which give me good restriction.... i am now considering having a third fill as my weight loss has practically stopped in the last 2 months. i havent gained weight though and like you do not want to. speak to your advisor, and she may recommend you get a second fill. dont beat yourself up, you have done very well. the band isnt a miracle worker, you do have to work with it... hope this advice helps xx

Hi Kim - You have done so well with losing 5 stone with willpower and not having any fills....Well done hun x

I should get onto your provider soon if its bothering you as as Maura says you don`t want to start putting weight back on!
They won`t worry if you ask for help as that is what they are there for, and I`m sure they would`nt want you worrying about anything.

Most people seem to have a fill within weeks of surgery and have many more over the next year. Whilst others wait like you, before their first fill, but most people seem to need more than one. If after a few days you don`t feel any restriction ask for help.....don`t suffer in silence!

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

I had my surgery in July and I've lost about 3 1/2 stone so you've lost more than me!! I've had 4 fills- 2ml,2ml,0.5ml&0.5ml- 5ml in total. Its a tricky business getting to your sweet spot and I still don't think I'm there.
Well done for your loss and just keep getting your fills x

I was in a very similar situation to you. I had my band fitted in 2007 and after a few weeks began to feel hungry. Christmas came and I realised that I could eat as much as I wanted of anything. I contacted my provider but they made me feel that I was failing because I needed a fill. Consequently I went on to lose 6 stone through sheer willpower because I'd used money that my mum and dad had left to me when they died and I didn't want to let them down. I've recently been putting the weight back on and its only since finding this forum that I realise that its not right that I can eat so much. The fills are an essential part of the band, not just the band on its own. Good luck with your journey and keep us posted x

Hi, congrats on losing 5 stone. I know what you mean about mainly using willpower because of not feeling restriction.
I've just had my 4th fill and now have 7.7mls in a 10ml band and still don't feel proper restriction. I think that you defo need a fill or 2. I hear other banders say that they only eat half a ready meal, but I can eat proper man size portions so I think having regular fills are a must untill you feel restricted.
Good luck x

Karen and Kim

Have either of you thought of trying the 5 day pouch test? I did it last week and not only lost 7lbs but it got me back into eating tiny meals.

Might be worth a try before having another fill x

No Judy, I did 2 days liquids, one day very soft protein, one day more solid protein then solid protein. Now I cant eat as much as I could before doing it.

Would recommend it to anyone who is more of a longer term bander x

Back