• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need some advice...diabetes...

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
I need some advice from the diabetics amongst you.
I have been type II diabetic for around three or four years now, in fact it is one of the main reasons I went for surgery, it was the diet doctor at the diabetes clinic that told me that I qualified and put me on the right road.
Anyway, since the surgery I VERY VERY rarely go higher than 6.0, usually hanging out around the 4.0-5.7 range, so in that sense my diabetes is doing very well.
I have developed a new problem though...hypos!!!
Ive always suffered from hypos but they calmed right down after surgery but then this past month or so they have started and this past two weeks I am really being bugged by them, they arent just every now and then now, they are happening multiple times a day now!!! When I say hypo I mean that my sugars drop below 4.0, they have been down into the 2's but usually they just drop into the mid 3's, so not mega bad but anything under a 4.0 and I start to go 'wobbly' as I call it. I get confused and shakey and if I leave it too long I become weak and faint, I havent passed out so far.
I dont have sugar now and so I wont use glucose to stop the hypos, I would just dump and feel worse, so I usually have a drink of milk or tea etc or some fruit, followed a little while after by a carb. I was told before my bypass to have something to up my sugars and then a carb to steady it out, so this is what I am doing and doesnt seem to be having any good affect.
Yesterday I just kept repeatedly going low every few hours and the average diabetic will tell you just how tiring ONE hypo is, so imagine how I feel after having multiples each day.
I thought I had done well today, felt slightly icky earlier but Id dumped today so just had dinner as usual (chicken) and then a few hours later I felt the familiar feelings coming on, so I had a fromage frai and then a little while later I had a rice cake. About twenty five minutes ago I suddenly came over all weak and wobbly and as I am home alone I had to get downstairs to get something and test my blood (down in the 3's again). I had a satsuma followed ten minutes later by another rice cake and I know that Im breaking the rules here but I am now drinking a cup of hot milk. Im still a bit wobbly and am just waiting for it all to go back to normal again. I am exhausted by this lot now and am pretty sure that these stupid hypos are to blame for the developing bags under my eyes (from weariness).
What am I doing wrong? I am doing what always worked before my surgery, just with different sugars, it always worked before, why is it suddenly not working any more, what in the world am I supposed to do to stop it happening? Why is it happening? Ive heard of reaction hypoglycemia and I did attribute it to that, when the hypos started some time ago it did seem to be worse if I had carbs in the morning but now it happens no matter what I have. I see the nurse at the Spire on 29th for a weigh in, so can ask her about it then but I dont see my diabetic team until 25th August and I would rather not have to see them sooner if it is something that I am doing wrong and can sort out myself.
Any ideas of why this might suddenly be happening and any better ways of sorting the hypos out than I am already doing?
I cant carry on this way, Im going to be so exhausted soon that I will look about 90 years old. Anyone help?
Steph xx

Ohh, sounds like your having a tough time of it Steph, sounds horrible. Im type2, but Ive only been diagnosed a few months so I havnt really got to grips with it all yet. I have gone a bit icky sometimes when my sugar is low, but I have glucose tablets. Sorry I cant help, I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon. X

Thanks Dotty xx
I must be doing something wrong somewhere, I just hope I can work out what.
Steph xx

I've not suffered the hypos either pre or post-op more than a handful of times when I have been naughty and missed meals. I know it is a horrible experience having just 1, to have several a day must be very hard. It is also probably quite dangerous so I wouldn't wait until your appointments, get to see your bariatric team asap as they will have had experience of such problems in wls patients whereas your diabetes team may not. Can you phone your bariatric team for some advice? Best not to leave it too long Steph. xx

If I can just hold out until 29th of this month John I am seeing them anyway, I CAN call them but there doesnt seem any sense in bugging them when I am seeing them so soon.
Im convinced that I must be doing something wrong, maybe Im eating less than I think I am and need to spend this next six weeks off of work (God bless the education system lol) concentrating on making sure I eat six times a day instead of my three meals a day, maybe that just isnt enough.
Thanks for the concern John xx
Steph xx

hi Steph.
I didn't want to read and run...
I hope you get this sorted soon xx
I have been diabetic for 20 years and hypos are hard work.
I cant advise, but ring your diabetic team/nurse before you next appointment.Better to get this sorted sooner rather than later.
Lisa x

I know it sounds like you fighting a losing battle but you really need to make sure you eat something hourly sweetheart. It does'nt have to be sweet but something to keep your system going. Too long between meals is a definite no no in diebetics as you already know. Once you have got to the bottom of this problem then you could go back to small meals often but untill you speak with the professionals I would try some thing hourly. If at all possible make an appointment to see your GP as they will help you sort it. Don't hang on till the 29th as thats too long to wait for help. Good luck xxxx

I will definately get onto more food for sure. Im not going to my GP because he is pointless, useless and I despise the guy, I am actually on the verge of leaving his surgery, he would be no help at all. If I cant make it to the end of this week without reducing the hypos then I will call the Spire for sure.
Thank you xx
Steph xx

The practice nurse left, just have the disctrict nurse now. I will call Spire tomorrow and have a chat to them.
Thanks xx
Steph xx

UPDATE

Hello lovely people.
Here I am with an update on today.
Last night I set my phone alarm to go off every two hours with a reminder to eat something, trying to stick to the theory of eating every two hours would keep my blood sugars stable. Sooooo, I started with breakfast and then had a little something to eat every two hours and you know what...no sign of a hypo today!!! I think that maybe I was eating much less than I thought I was and my sugars were just so confused. So, as it seems to be working today I am going to continue this way and see how it goes, I have a feeling that I have to just eat every couple of hours, which is actually bloody annoying as Im often not hungry and my mind doesnt enjoy me eating when Im not hungry, it seems to 'go against the grain' of what it sees as 'the way.
Anyway, thank you for all of the advice xx
Steph xx

Happy to hear you are not suffering hypos today. Our bodies are funny things and yours seems to want food every couple of hours to keep your sugars stable. I hope you stay well :D X

Well done Steph for coping with your hypos. It is a pain having to eat so regularly, but I suspect it is going to help your weightloss in the long run by keeping your metabolism going. It will be interesting to see how it affects your weightloss. xx

I'm sooo glad you're feeling better. I"m also type 2 but in remission (fingers crossed!). I've never had a hypo but they sound awful :-(

Poppy x

Thanks John xx Yep I am very curious to see what happens to my weight loss.

Thanks Poppy xx Hypos are horrible, you go very very shakey and weak and confused and dizzy and just basically feel wretched, once you recover you feel totally drained all day following it, or that is how they affect me anyway.

Steph xx

Back