• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous Nelly

Silversurfer

I'm due in for my bypass on the 16th of august, and start my liver shrinking from hell pre op diet this weekend, and i'm starting to feel very nervous about it all, unsure why as i've been looking forward this for a while.
Is this nervous feeling normal, did any of you banders or bypassers feel the same way pre op, or is it just me being a scarredy cat :cry:

Richard

i personally think it is very normal and healthy to feel nervous. You are facing a massive life changing experiance. Im not there yet but have had a few jitters already along the way. the day i went for my initial consultation my BP was 179/140 and there was me thiking i was as calm as a cucumber.
Take care and focus on the positives.
Hc

Hi Richard,
Its completly normal to feel nervous even when I was lying down on the op table I was still thinking I might not go through with it , but it was the best thing that I have ever done. Keep to the diet that your doc has given you to get that liver nice and movable and moan on here about your worries and concerns, no one minds!!

Hi Richard

I agree with the others your very normal.

Put it this way.

Ive been fit for 75% of mu life i was a ex british champ at a full contact martial art and fought for my country.

Many people look up to me as a strong figure and if there was any trouble involving violance etc they would expect me to be at the front trying to sort it all out.

But when it came to the operation i was as nervous as anything. I was worried if it was going to hurt or even if ive chosen the right route.

But i have to say once its all over its worth every nervious thought i went through.

Think of your new life style its all going to bring you ...

And the liver shrink diet is not as bad as you think and will go quickly

If you are worried about anything richard please just ask

Mark

I can only agree with what everyone else has said, I was a nervous mess at the start of liver shrinking and really depended on mini's and my husband to support me through it.

However, as the op got closer, the nerves got easier. 2-3 days pre-op I was hardly nervous at all and just felt quite serene about the whole thing. On the day I had a few small nerves but mostly felt good about what I was doing.

Hi Richard

It is only natural, some may even say they may be worried if you werent nervous!!!!!!!!!

As everyone has said it is a life changing operation but worth it all........ keep chatting on here we will all get you threw it.... sending you a big hug........

Hi Richard, nerves are natural - don't forget this is a life changing journey you are about to embark on!! For me the nerves did not kick in until I actually got to hospital and was sat in my gown, thinking what the hell am I about to do to myself?? You will be fine - if you have a bad day make sure you get on here and tell us about it and we can all share our experiences and help you through. Good luck with starting the pre-op diet :)

All the very best Richard - you will be fine! As everyone else has said, it's perfectly natural to be nervous and we'd all be worrying about you if you weren't!!

Keep your eye on the end goal and stay focused on what you want to achieve. Keep reminding yourself what a positive step this is and how much better your life will be once you've succeeded in losing your excess weight!

All the very best,

Alice xx

thanks all, feeling a little better about it today, maybe was having a bad day yesterday and with the op playing on my mind too, anyway thanks all for your kind support :)

Hi Richard,

What you are feeling is completely normal. I had my RNY in Belgium 8 days ago and I am so glad that I am now on this side!

For 2 weeks before surgery I was a mix of excitement and nerves! Its all I could think about.

I was taken down to theatre at 2:30pm feeling very nervous but glad to just get on with it. Well at 5pm I'm still in the "waiting room"! You can imagine how I was then feeling...nerves where uncontrolable! There was an emergency and my doctor was the man needed to fix things! Finally I got taken into theatre on the very hard trolley/table! I just started crying and shaking. I tried really hard not to, but I couldnt stop! lol All the emotions just came out. My surgeon came to reassure me, and next thing I knew I was in recovery!

So nerves are a normal instinct when embarking on something like this, but it will be sooo worth it in the long run!

Just a note, stick to the liver shrinking diet, as another patient I was with didnt have the surgery as they found her liver to be too big. She had travelled all the way to Belgium too! I can't think of anything worse than waking up to be told the sugery could'nt go ahead. I was fortunate and didnt have to do a pre op diet, but I was considered a "light weight"....certainly dont feel like one though:eek:

Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on!

Kelly xxx

Thanks Kelly for your words of wisdom, glad to hear your ok, to be honest the liver shrinking diet wont be a problem for me as i've never had a problem focusing and sticking to something especially if its something i want, my problems always been that as soon as i'd lose the weight i'd let my guard down and put the weight back on.

Richard

You're Welcome Richard,

I am the same, can lose but cant keep it off!! Hence why the need/want for this surgery. Keep us posted on how u get on. The first week is a bit like "hell" but I am already seeing a difference. Do not regret my surgery so far! lol

Love Kelly x

Back