• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit worried about pre op diet.....

kell

Im due to start my pre op diet on Sunday and Im a bit worried/unsure of what to eat etc...?? :rolleyes:

I've got like a sample menu sheet but doesnt really say much or how many calories you're supposed to have?

Im worried that I'll have too much or too little or what if my liver doesnt shrink enough...etc etc

Think im just worrying about everything as the op get closer....

How is it even possible to feel so many different emotions all at the same time?.. excitement, hopefullness, nervous, scared, worried..etc

I'll be so relieved when its all over and done with :jelous:

You will be fine with the pre-op diet - i think you need to have about 600 - 800 calories. I have done the milk diet and i am coming to an end as my op is Sunday. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you more advice so you know for sure what you are doing.

Its just a sample menu with things like fruit, meat, Bread with low fat spread, cereal etc..... Nothing specific at all :(

Im starting to get a complex on this site......every time I post something loads of people view but hardly anyone ever replies! lol

Talk about being unpopular!! :( or out of the clique...lol x

Im starting to get a complex on this site......every time I post something loads of people view but hardly anyone ever replies! lol

Talk about being unpopular!! :( or out of the clique...lol x

Hi Kell. :wavey: Just wanted to say it could be guests not members reading the posts.;)

Your surgery date is my birthday so I will be thinking of ya, hoping everything goes smoothly.:)

I was given a pre-op diet emailed to me, I think it was based on low fat and calories. Every surgeon has their own idea on the best pre-op to follow. Good luck and don't forget to keep us updated!

Cheers Lyn & Happy Birthday for the 24th!! x

tyvm. :D

Hi Kel,
'm on the pre-op diet now and every doc is diffrent. I'm on the 1000 calories slimfast diet which is 4 shakes and 2 slimfast snacks a day. Since I have been doing this I have only just started to realise what I was eating before!
The pre-op diet is not nice and it is the hardest thing I have done but it will all be worth it..Roll on monday when I have the bypass!!

Good luck

Hi hun
I don't know much about the pre op diet yet but I am sure you will do fine. Good luck.

Hi Kell
Maybe you could post for people that are getting the same pre op diet , surgeon and hospital as you . Then they might tell you the exact diet to help you cope lol . Post it in big red letters so people will notice it and hopefully you will get more replies . Keep in touch hun . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Heya Kell

It must be the deodorant your using ;) (joke). Don't be worrying about how many views you have, there are so many people on the site who just read and never post. Also if you look down the list at other threads there are many views on those and not too many replies either.

I can't help re the diet as Im still waiting for surgery, maybe when people start getting home from work and log on will you have a better response.

Take care Xx

Last edited:
HiHi I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. Im a little worried about my liver not shrinking enough and also about feeling hungry all the time but it will all be worth it in the end :)

which surgeon/hospital & provider are you using babe? that migh help if we can see who else has been the same route as you.
Mine was 1000 cals a day mostly slimfasts/ smoothies but including 5 green veg or fruite portiions a day but keeping under the 1000 cals

this is my pr op diet

The diet is designed to give you approximately 100g of carbohydrate per day. It is low in fat (although the extent to which will depend on the foods chosen) and moderate in protein. The energy value of the diet is between 800-1000 kcal. The following sample menu plan shows you what a typical day’s intake may include.

Breakfast (15g carbohydrate)
3 tbsp of Branflakes or Fruit & fibre or Cornflakes
OR 1 Shredded wheat
OR 1½ Weetabix
OR 5 tbsp of All Bran
OR 4 tbsp of Rice Krispies
OR 25g of rolled oats
OR 1 slice medium sliced toast with scraping of margarine.

Lunch (15-20g carbohydrate)
1 slice medium sliced bread/toast
OR 2 crispbreads
OR ½ bagel
OR ½ pitta bread.

With:
2 eggs
OR 60g /2 oz cheese (2 x matchbox size)
OR 8 thin packet slices of ham, chicken or turkey
OR small chicken breast without skin
OR 4 rashers of grilled back bacon
OR 100g/4 oz (small portion) meat
OR 2 grilled sausages
OR 100g/4 oz tinned fish.
With vegetables/salad (low fat dressing).

Evening Meal (20 g carbohydrate)
2 average old potatoes (boiled or mashed)
OR 4 egg-sized new potatoes with skin
OR 2 small roast potatoes
OR 2 tbsp cooked rice (any variety)
OR 2 tbsp cooked pasta (any variety)
OR 40 strands of spaghetti (count when raw!).

With:
2 eggs
OR 60g/2 oz cheese (2 x matchbox size)
OR 8 thin packet slices of ham, chicken or turkey
OR small chicken breast without skin
OR 4 rashers grilled back bacon
OR 100g/4 oz (small portion) meat
OR 100g/4 oz tinned fish
OR 100g/4 oz tofu or quorn.
With vegetables/salad (low fat dressing).

Allowances throughout the day (40 g carbohydrate)
1/3 pint/200ml of milk for drinks and cereal
*2 portions of fruit/2 x 100ml fruit juice
Unlimited water, tea, coffee, low calories squash and low calorie fizzy drinks
One small pot (125g) low fat, low sugar yoghurt per day (diet or ‘lite’ varieties).
* see separate sheet for fruit portions

It is important not to eat less than the specified portions of carbohydrate as this can make you feel unwell. Other foods on the menu will provide you with protein and fat. The inclusion of these foods means that it should not be necessary for you to take any vitamin or mineral supplement.

Thanks ladies...and my new life for the detailed menu, that really helps with it being so specific :) x

Back