• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous newby

redcaz

:wavey:Hi everyone,
Im Carol, Im 52 yrs old and have now took the decision to look into weight loss surgery. After research I have found that I am very typical of most people that decide that surgical intervention is the only road left to me.
Since the age of 18, when I began to pile on weight, I have tried every diet going, spending enough money on memberships to fund numerous surgeries! Im always keen and optimistic, and most times lose a lot of weight, (my biggest loss was 5 stone). But always always always put all of it back on and more besides.
At the moment I dont have high blood pressure, diabetes or anything else weight related. But I do have fibromyalgia, which during a flare is completely debilitating. To those who have never heard of fibro, it is a condition that causes chronic pain and stiffness all over the body, chronic fatigue, cognitive problems, poor quality sleep etc. Being overweight does not cause fibro, but it doesnt help either eg, pains in the knees due to obesity are made much worse by the fibro.
Im not sure which weight loss surgery would be best for me, Im thinking the sleeve, but am eager to hear from you guys who have been through it. Ive not seen my gp about it yet but im not sure whether he'd refer me because my bmi is 38.5 and I think the nhs criteria is 40 and over?
If my gp wont refer me I will have it done later this year when my house is sold (currently going through a messy split)
Sorry to ramble on and thanks for reading xx

Hello Carol and welcome! There is loads of great info on here, including diaries from people who've had sleeves:)

Hi and welcome

I have fibro (though never 'too' bad) and have REALLY noticed the difference since losing weight x

Hi redcaz,
I don't know what area you're in but it's definitely worth speaking to your gp for a referral. My bmi is also around 38.5 and I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure but I do have Ehlers Danlos syndrome which causes lots of joint problems and severe chronic pain and fatigue. This too may be considered a co-morbidity as excess weight makes symptoms worse. I was referred to Sunderland who accept patients with bmi of 35-40 with comorbidities and so far they seem to be willing to help.
Every area has different criteria but it's got to be worth a try!

Good luck x

Hi redcaz,
I don't know what area you're in but it's definitely worth speaking to your gp for a referral. My bmi is also around 38.5 and I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure but I do have Ehlers Danlos syndrome which causes lots of joint problems and severe chronic pain and fatigue. This too may be considered a co-morbidity as excess weight makes symptoms worse. I was referred to Sunderland who accept patients with bmi of 35-40 with comorbidities and so far they seem to be willing to help.
Every area has different criteria but it's got to be worth a try!

Good luck x
Thank you, im going to make an appointment when I have the report from my rheumatologist appointment x

hi welcome and goodluck

Hi red Caz!! Welcome!! I have found this site invaluable, and people are so friendly! I had my sleeve on Friday 3rd jan 2014, and am feeling great!!!! Just listen to all the advise from the professionals and from folk on here, and make the right decisions for yourself!!! But people on here will be always more than happy to offer advice/help. Hope all goes well for you x

Hi
The bMI limit is in place in my region Teesside, but if you have other health implications they will take that into account I think. It does vary from region, don't delay call your doctor on Monday. Good luck

hello and good luck

Hello and welcome. Good luck with your GP appointment :D

Thanks Llora, Im going to speak to my gp next week. Ive not been on this site for a week, it makes me jealous reading about everyones success lol! Xx

I had not much success yet too.. Only first steps taken.. Seeing consultant surgeon next week.. Then they will make their decision! I am stressed! Scared! Anxious! Just really afraid they are going to turn me down! I was considering wls for years now! But have always pushed the thoughts away.. As i knew i will never have enough money to fund it privately..

I am soooooooo happy for every single success story on this site! And just hoping i could one day be one of those people!

Back