• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and Confused

NickiB

Hi everyone,

Iam new to the site and looking forward to reading everyones experiences and taking on board their advice. I'll give you a bit of background in as fewer words as possible.
I went to see about Gastric Banding approx 18mths ago now, was approved for funding but refused at the assessment as they felt I had "issues" surrounding food. I went away and dealt with those, about 6 months ago I went back to my Dr and said I've done it I'm ready only to be told we would have to start the funding process all over again. Thankfully I was approved funding again and I am now waiting on the hospital to send me my appointment. I think I will have to go through it all again, but I have a letter from a psyciatrist who states that there are no issues with food, so quite how much I will have to repeat I dont know. I would be interested on hearing if anyone else has had this experience. I am torn between the gastric sleeve and the band My BMI is 50.1. Advice will be greatly recieved :) x

Welcome Nicki :) You are quite a long way down your weight loss road ... well done. Your surgeon will recommend the best option for you, but normally for your BMI it would be bypass as it is quite easy to cheat with a band. Good luck with whichever way you go, honey xxx :)

welcome Nicki :) this is a great place to get answers, I think twink is right, from my research, with your bmi i would think a bypass will be recommended, but u never know, where u from? (p.s) if you fill in your details we might be able to help u more :) xxx

Thank you all :) going to zip back and fill in the profile Would I have to have what they offer? I prefer the sleeve as the recovery time is much shorter than that of a bypass, I was diagnosed with M.E 9 years ago and it takes longer to recover. Also how did you all get the tickers and sparkly lettering? Sorry I'll have loads of questions :/ x

Thank you all :) going to zip back and fill in the profile Would I have to have what they offer? I prefer the sleeve as the recovery time is much shorter than that of a bypass, I was diagnosed with M.E 9 years ago and it takes longer to recover. Also how did you all get the tickers and sparkly lettering? Sorry I'll have loads of questions :/ x

Ask away, hon ... the discussion between you & your surgeon is crucial but I really would trust his judgement. He may prefer the sleeve option anyway. We have lots of sleevers on here. Once you have 50 posts, you will be able to see & do more. To achieve that just click onto the chit chat section & start using the word association games.
Re the ticker ... look at my post & click on the ticker factory link. You can make your own up from there. xxx :D

Hi Nicki

Welcome to the site. I too am a relatively newby. I think you'll find everyone really helpful. I too went after band but was told no due to acid problems. My surgeon recommends a bypass as my BMI is 45 but again I prefer the sleeve as it is life as normal after just eating a lot less. I think he will do that for me if I can convince him that I am fine with food these days. Issues are long gone apart from the odd relapse (like normal people).
I really don't feel comfortable with bypass and honestly think I will refuse if that is all they are offering.
I am on the list for bypass after the normal hurdles and told to use that time for as much research as I could. I will subscribe to this link and keep you updated.
Good luck with your decision :)

Hi everyone,

Iam new to the site and looking forward to reading everyones experiences and taking on board their advice. I'll give you a bit of background in as fewer words as possible.
I went to see about Gastric Banding approx 18mths ago now, was approved for funding but refused at the assessment as they felt I had "issues" surrounding food. I went away and dealt with those, about 6 months ago I went back to my Dr and said I've done it I'm ready only to be told we would have to start the funding process all over again. Thankfully I was approved funding again and I am now waiting on the hospital to send me my appointment. I think I will have to go through it all again, but I have a letter from a psyciatrist who states that there are no issues with food, so quite how much I will have to repeat I dont know. I would be interested on hearing if anyone else has had this experience. I am torn between the gastric sleeve and the band My BMI is 50.1. Advice will be greatly recieved :) x

:welcome2:

Hope that whatever you decide,you get it as soon
as possible

Andy x

Both sleeve and bypass are drastic measures but at the end of the day that's what all of us on here need. I agree with the others take your surgeons advice he knows more than any of us. I had bypass 8 months ago and was back to work in two weeks beat thing I've ever done. Can I ask what your major concerns are about bypass?

Hiya,

Thank you everyone for all your advice.
My concerns with bypass are recovery times, as it will be longer for me and also the rate at which I will lose the weight. I would prefer not to lose masses quickly. A stone a month max is my ideal, am I being unrealistic do you think? I have researched the band no end as that is what I intially wanted, then I read up on the sleeve a couple of days ago and still have masses of research to do on it! At the end of the day my ultimate goal is to be healthy so I will take whatever the surgeon decides, I have to this point avoided weight related illnesses and want to keep it that way. I dont want to lose it to fast to minimise the amount of loose skin I am expecting to be left with.

Hi Nicki and Welcome. I had a bypass last year my weight and bmi where much the same as yours. I have never had any regrets and can honestly say my life now is 100% better. Good Luck with your weight loss journey.

happy days said:
Both sleeve and bypass are drastic measures but at the end of the day that's what all of us on here need. I agree with the others take your surgeons advice he knows more than any of us. I had bypass 8 months ago and was back to work in two weeks beat thing I've ever done. Can I ask what your major concerns are about bypass?

Hi happy days
I agree they are both drastic. I just feel the bypass is very restricting with the diet after what with dumping etc. I eat relatively healthy and am already concerned about getting nutrition. It worries me that I would have to rely on multivitamins the rest of my life. I'm bad enough remembering now let alone when I am older and more forgetful :(
Please tell me how you manage. I would love to hear more :)

welcome to this site nikki. as twinkle has stated i would go with the recomendation of your surgon, as for remembering to take your multivitamins and getting enough nutrition when you have got your 50 posts in by playing the word association games and posting you will find a moutain of information on how other people have managed after having a gastric bypass, i have not had my surgery yet i am hopeing for a gastric bypass but i am under no illusion that when i do it is going to be completly life changeing.

good luck with whatever you decide nikki.

I started off wanting a band, then I realised a band would never be the answer for me. When I looked at other options I wanted the bypass but was worried about the higher risks associated with the surgery and had decided I wanted a sleeve. I was told by the surgeon, for me the bypass offered the best resolution to my diabetes. I really looked into it, joined a couple of forums and asked questions, read diaries, followed posts and learned from real people, with real experiences. Now I am convinced that bypass is the only way to go for me. I am expecting to be offered a date soon ans be done and dusted in a few weeks. My friend had hers 11 days ago and is looking and feeling fab. She has no problems with it, is not in pain and is very happy. We went out yesterday and had a normal day out, wandering aaround the shops and visiting people. If she had a job she could easily return to work after 2 weeks. Obviously not if it involved lifting! I hope you get your surgery soon, and whatever you get, life will get better. x

Thank you all, I will in all honesty take what he offers, but I think a sleeve would be my first choice I think. The more I read the more I like about it. Now going to research the bypass just in case it's that or nothing. So glad I joined, thank you all x

Hello and welcome to one of the most friendly and informative forums on the whole web!! It doesn't seem to matter what subject matter (related to weight loss surgery) we ask, there's always someone who has been through similar and is happy for us to learn form their experiences. We talk about anything, seems there are no holds barred!!
So welcome, ask away, and best of luck with your personal journey xxx

thank you. I am so pleased I joined, I seem to find new questions to ask everyday lol but everyone is incredibly helpful :)

I will do, I have decided on the sleeve the more I read the more I like it, I really dont want a bypass I dont think. You watch it change another million times before my appointment lol. Keep us updated with your journey too. All the journeys on here are so inspiring :)

Back