• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking of gastric sleeve surgery, BMI 31. Anyone had the surgery at this BMI?

Barbara5

Hi, I'm considering gastric sleeve surgery and I would like to know if there is anyone on this site who had the surgery with a BMI of 31 or there abouts. I know this seems to be a relatively low BMI for such a drastic step but I've struggled with my weight for so long and I'm just not happy with myself at this size. If there is anyone out there who had the surgery with a BMI in the low 30's, I'd like to hear about your experience & how much weight you've lost and how quickly did it come off? Thanking you in anticipation. X

Hi, I'm considering gastric sleeve surgery and I would like to know if there is anyone on this site who had the surgery with a BMI of 31 or there abouts. I know this seems to be a relatively low BMI for such a drastic step but I've struggled with my weight for so long and I'm just not happy with myself at this size. If there is anyone out there who had the surgery with a BMI in the low 30's, I'd like to hear about your experience & how much weight you've lost and how quickly did it come off? Thanking you in anticipation. X
I have heard that there has been someone. Do u have any medical issues as I had surgery last week and another Lady who was 12stone was also getting it but more due to other reasons. Good luck

I have heard that there has been someone. Do u have any medical issues as I had surgery last week and another Lady who was 12stone was also getting it but more due to other reasons. Good luck
Thank you for your reply. I hope all has gone well for you and that you have a successful weight loss journey. I have no medical issues but I'm 58 & don't want to continue getting bigger & bigger! I feel it's now or never. Just very scary. I keep focusing on the negative & need to hear a few stories of how great it has been for people.

I can't remember exactly what my BMI was when I had my sleeve but it was low 30's, as it was when I had my band. I did have other health problems though.

Anything over 30 is considered obese, meaning that losing the excess will have a positive effect on your health. So no I don't think its too low to consider making a change. What you will find though is that you will have to go down the private route, unless you have any serious health problems or co-morbidities and even then some private providers may not consider you heavy enough.

We had a lady on here last year who was struggling to find a provider for the very same reason.

My suggestion would be to research, research, then research some more. On the surgical options, on the providers and maybe more important the surgeon.

Good luck xx

mine is 33.

I had a plication a few years ago which worked wonders.... However, there is a LOT of co-morbidities in our family and a very high risk of diabetes, heart disease and vascular dementia... I was always advised I was best to look at two steps.

Ive therefore booked to go and have a sleeve privately. The plication had outstanding results and Ive done better than expected. However, now converting to sleeve should get the rest off and take me to a normal bmi and out of risk zones

If you haven't already done anything else, maybe consider plication. Far lesser risks than sleeve / bypass but would give very good restriction .

I can't remember exactly what my BMI was when I had my sleeve but it was low 30's, as it was when I had my band. I did have other health problems though.

Anything over 30 is considered obese, meaning that losing the excess will have a positive effect on your health. So no I don't think its too low to consider making a change. What you will find though is that you will have to go down the private route, unless you have any serious health problems or co-morbidities and even then some private providers may not consider you heavy enough.

We had a lady on here last year who was struggling to find a provider for the very same reason.

My suggestion would be to research, research, then research some more. On the surgical options, on the providers and maybe more important the surgeon.

Good luck xx
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been off the site for a while. I am having a second consultation with my surgeon today. Xx

Back