• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Friends

annemw333

Six Month Post Op
So as some of you may already know, I am an American expat who moved to Birmingham back in September. I have a lovely British boyfriend who lives up near Stoke. The thing is, other than my boyfriend, I don't really have many friends here. I have made friends at uni but most of them are leaving now that our classes are over. I have been getting increasingly blue lately with no real social network of my own, so I am reaching out to see if there are other people who are also looking to expand their social circles. I would love to find people to meet up with for coffee/tea, a film, a nice healthy WLS friendly meal, or perhaps a nice walk. Not getting out or having anyone to talk to and hang out with, especially girlfriends, has been somewhat depressing for me to be honest which is not good for my weight loss. Since I am two years out, my pouch is far more forgiving and allows for more munching. When I am blue, as you can imagine, I tend to eat and I don't want to do this.

So, basically, is there anyone on here in either the Birmingham area or Stoke area who is looking for new friends too?

Im not reading and running hon, I live in Cumbria a little to far away but if your ever up this area I would have definatly taken you up on that. Its hard in a new area making friends, I only moved 125 miles and I often felt isolated too when I first moved here. Good Luck in your search though xx

Thanks Lily! I am hoping to eventually do more traveling so I can see more of the UK. If/when I am in Cumbria, I'd love to meet up. You are right about moving to a new area, it can be hard. Making friends as adults is so much different then it was as a kid.

Its definatly harder as you also have to figure out who you can trust and who you cant. Hope you find some people local to you xx

I'm just south of Solihull so not a million miles away. Do you drive/have a car? I do, so even if you don't I'm happy to come over your way if you fancy meeting for a coffee one day soon, next week is better for me but have a slot or 2 this week if we can match our free time ;-)
Kate

There you go!A stranger is just a friend you have not yet met!
Im in Liverpool so you can always look me up if you are visiting!Maz x

Imway downon the south coast but if ever you're down this way give me a shout x

I know exactly how you feel hun. I too am an expat and struggle to make new fiends. I live in London so no exactly around the corner but that's not to say it's impossible to meet! Never been to Birmingham :) Feel free to PM me anytime.

Hi im on the North East Coast. if you ever up this way i make a mean hot chocy. xx

I hope you make it to the support group in Walsall on 20th as you will have the opportunity to meet lots of local WLS peeps there.

I'm just south of Solihull so not a million miles away. Do you drive/have a car? I do, so even if you don't I'm happy to come over your way if you fancy meeting for a coffee one day soon, next week is better for me but have a slot or 2 this week if we can match our free time ;-)
Kate

Hi Kate:

Sadly, I don't have a car so I am dependent on Birmingham's far from reliable public transport. I'd love to meet up. I am actually going out of town on Saturday until next Thursday but would you be able to meet up next Friday perhaps? If not, maybe the week after? Just let me know what works for you. Looking forward to the chance to meet someone new. :)

Anne-Margaret

There you go!A stranger is just a friend you have not yet met!
Im in Liverpool so you can always look me up if you are visiting!Maz x

Maz:

I am actually going to be in Liverpool Saturday night and all day Sunday. My boyfriend and I are going there before we fly out to Germany for a few days. Maybe we can meet for a cuppa or something? I know it's short notice so if that doesn't work, I am sure I will be back in Liverpool sometimes as it's not that far from my boyfriend.

Let me know.
Anne-Margaret

I know exactly how you feel hun. I too am an expat and struggle to make new fiends. I live in London so no exactly around the corner but that's not to say it's impossible to meet! Never been to Birmingham :) Feel free to PM me anytime.

Where are you from originally? Brum isn't too far from London. I want to visit London more over the summer (if I can find the time while writing my dissertation) so maybe we can meet up. I friended you on Facebook btw. Talk soon! :)

I hope you make it to the support group in Walsall on 20th as you will have the opportunity to meet lots of local WLS peeps there.

I am really going to try Sam but as I mentioned before, it is a bit of a hike with public transportation but I will see what I can do.

I hear you Anne, i just moved 120 miles and tbh had a tough week and really wishing i had stayed close to family n friends... However i'm sucking it up and hoping to make more friends, although not sure how that's gonna go as i never go anywhere. Feels like i'm going a bit backwards to a previous marriage where my whole life revolved around the home etc....

Good luck with the meetings and have a lovely holiday xxx

Hiya, can't do Friday I'm afraid, the week after is much better, but Thursday is a no. I'm right on the Solihull Met border with Warwickshire so could you make your way to Solihull? Don't stress if the buses are too problematical, I know Birmingham reasonably well and used to work for the NHS and my 'patch' covered Harbourne, bet Harbourne doesn't have a Starbucks yet though ;-) Would prefer not to meet in the City itself if you don't mind. So, just say which day and times suit you and then we'll arrange a venue
Kate

So as some of you may already know, I am an American expat who moved to Birmingham back in September. I have a lovely British boyfriend who lives up near Stoke. The thing is, other than my boyfriend, I don't really have many friends here. I have made friends at uni but most of them are leaving now that our classes are over. I have been getting increasingly blue lately with no real social network of my own, so I am reaching out to see if there are other people who are also looking to expand their social circles. I would love to find people to meet up with for coffee/tea, a film, a nice healthy WLS friendly meal, or perhaps a nice walk. Not getting out or having anyone to talk to and hang out with, especially girlfriends, has been somewhat depressing for me to be honest which is not good for my weight loss. Since I am two years out, my pouch is far more forgiving and allows for more munching. When I am blue, as you can imagine, I tend to eat and I don't want to do this.

So, basically, is there anyone on here in either the Birmingham area or Stoke area who is looking for new friends too?
hi ya. I am also from afar, origionally South Africa, live in Dudley now which is just outside Birmingham. I work in Birmingham City centre and my brother lives inS toke with his wife, so am often that side to visit soon. Will be awesome to meet, chat up, etc. I am a pre-opper, hope to have bypass by end of the year. Ad me on msn or facebook [email protected], skype user ryanrara. :) xxr ry

ps: I have only been on the site around 2 weeks, already met up with a user, joined a support group a week on Monday and added loads to facebook

Back